• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebakke

Actually - come to think of it... If Okon is the man, it'd perhaps match the extension of Berry's contract..
Reckon they might've known and gotten his input after the game the other day?

midfielder

It would be funny if someone got it that Gatty has not mentioned ...

Lets see's thats, Mori, Vidmar, Papas, Herbert, Hudson, Dickout, Mulvey, Rudden, now Oken.

I suggest he put down Mussie just to annoy the Tards or Arnolds back...

nebakke

A google of Paul Okon returns a functional link... Looks like TWG is picking up now as well, so it can't possibly be right ;)

Ray Gatt said:
Former Socceroo Paul Okon has emerged as a hot favourite to coach A-League soccer club Central Coast Mariners.

Okon, 44, is the frontrunner to replace Tony Walmsley, who was sacked earlier this month after just 18 months in the job.

While the club has yet to make a formal announcement it is believed Okon, who has been coaching the Australian under-20s for the past four years, could be in place by the middle of the week.

Okon was capped 28 times for Australia and was regarded as one of the finest players produced here.

After starting his professional football career with Marconi Stallions in the NSL, he went on to have a wonderful career in Europe, playing in Belgium with Club Brugge, Italy with Lazio and Fiorentina and with Middlesbrough, Watford and Leeds in England.

He eventually returned for a stint with Newcastle Jets in the A-League before turning his hand to coaching the Young Socceroos and as an assistant to the Olyroos (under-23s)

dibo

I'm fine with Okon. I'm fine with Viddie. I'm basically a lot more optimistic about people who come from the FFA setup than the rest of you I guess!

midfielder

If its Oken along with some others he is worth a chance reminds me in many ways of AP not the personally but in style and approach and he is a no nonsense person [ask Musty] and would have huge contacts with young players to bring.

I would not be unhappy ... not saying he is the best but neither is he a hopeless choice...

Wombat

I am not a fan of Okon. prima doña.

Dickov is a worry only because he wasn't successful in the Championship. By he was a fine player who would have learnt a lot under some good coaches. Compared to Moss and Tony he could be a revelation (I hope).
If we pick a novice then I would rather Mori or Vidmar before Okon.

midfielder

Neither Oken or AP had great track records with there junior Australian teams, but both tried to play a similar style, and develop players along the way.

In IMO a good appointment, he has the personalty of a tree stump which hopefully can be worked on but on Football knowledge and technical knowledge and knowledge of the league, and having already worked as a number two for the Fold, he is no fool and hopefully can take the reins next week. Plus he brings that unique inside knowledge of the best junior players not already in A-League clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred