• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipwreck

The 5 stages of grief finding its way around to acceptance:

My own journey below
Denial: “Gatty has thrown heaps of names around and the guy who edited Wikipedia is unreliable !“

Anger: "This clown couldn't even beat us with the best young talent and f**ked up rio"

Bargaining: "Ange and Arnold were both untested and failed on the national stage, atleast he will teach us solid defence"

Depression: "Sigh, another wooden spoon and no marquees to look forward to"

Acceptance: "Eye for young talent, knows the landscape, better than Dickov"

nebakke

The 5 stages of grief finding its way around to acceptance:

My own journey below
Denial: “Gatty has thrown heaps of names around and the guy who edited Wikipedia is unreliable !“

Anger: "This clown couldn't even beat us with the best young talent and f**ked up rio"

Bargaining: "Ange and Arnold were both untested and failed on the national stage, atleast he will teach us solid defence"

Depression: "Sigh, another wooden spoon and no marquees to look forward to"

Acceptance: "Eye for young talent, knows the landscape, better than Dickov"

Looks a lot like mine, although I don't really know enough about him to really be angry or depressed ;)

Once that's said - it's been 24 hours and then some... ;)

Coach

Of all the poor decisions they have made this could well be the worst. I think that the coach of my team should have earned the right to coach them. Okon's record is poor at best, I won't a proven coach not just hope. We have 17 players off contract at seasons end , they will all leave

Ted

To be fair I'd say no matter who gets it, they can't be any worse than the last 2 and the football can't get any more dire...I'll be optimistic, 3rd time lucky.

Gratis

Truth is we really still have no idea who it will be. Until a day ago Okon's name wasn't even in the mix that we knew of and all of a sudden he's being talked about the way others were, and then suddenly weren't, before him.

There are a lot of bad possible choices (ahem, Rudan etc.) but some hopeful ones. I'd still prefer Hudson/Mori/Vidmar and despite having little genuine reason to think it I suspect Okon would possibly do alright with us. He could coach a defence and knows how to attack. There are others I'd go for first.

Point is we really don't know yet.
My (slim, probably unrealistic) hope is that there is someone in the mix we haven't heard about yet that has a respected and proven track record, someone to get excited about, and that will be announced tomorrow. Pipe dream I know.
But hey, whoever it is needs to be given a chance. Of all that are being touted there is not really anyone with an amazing record at ALeague level or higher so we really don't know how they'd go until given a shot.

Here's hoping for the best.

dibo

I've spoken to a reasonably well placed source (i.e. knows Okon) and he is sure Okon is in

dibo

Oh, and I spoke to players today from another club who've played under Okon and rate him as a good coach.

They were not exactly complimentary about Walmsley...

Wombat

If they played for a different club how can they know if TW was any good???
Clearly he wasn't......but I'd like to know how they judge from another club.
Did they play with Okon at West Ryde or he coached them where?

Last edited:

dibo

If they played for a different club how can they know if TW was any good???
Clearly he wasn't......but I'd like to know how they judge from another club.
Did they play with him at West Ryde or he coached them where?
Really? You judge him from the stands out the telly. Do you really reckon they're not able to make their own reasonable judgements from the telly and the other end of the field?

That's before we get to the fact that players talk between clubs and goss gets around.

midfielder

I have quite a lot of faith in this decision OkOn is in rare company, Moore, Neil, Yankos, Tobin, Greiier, Ned Zel, Calunia .. In a 4-2-3 -1 Okon would be alongside Griller as the DM's ... at his best he was in a class above most.

He could bring a lot of knowledge to the CB's and DM's....

banarama

I have no idea of Okon as coach. As a Marconi stallions supporter from nsl days, he was a fan favorite, and we were sad to see him leave for europe. My view is tainted as i only have positive memories of him on the field. im good with okon as coach.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Dunno anything about Okon other than as a player ..but wouldn't you rather have someone who is use to the week in week out grind of regular competitive matches?

Timmah

Where is the value in shitting on the club and this choice (assuming it's true) before:

1. the appointment is even confirmed
2. until a ball is f**king kicked!

There appear to be some who'd rather actually have a go than give anyone a go.

priorpeter

Where is the value in shitting on the club and this choice (assuming it's true) before:

1. the appointment is even confirmed
2. until a ball is f**king kicked!

There appear to be some who'd rather actually have a go than give anyone a go.

That's the beauty of an online forum pal. People are free to voice their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred