• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic

Timing is everything... I had breakfast with a mate this morning and he swore he saw Shaun having a chat with Okon at Jimmy Gs at West Gossie earlier in the week. This was all before Gatty's news broke.

Hand on heart! :innocent:

midfielder

Oken was a very gifted player, very clam on the ball, many include Oken in their best ever Australian squads at least on the bench, a DM or CB. He made his name at club Brugge...

He was also quite involved in advising Matty Ryan to go to Club Brugge..

Cranky Frankie choose him in favour of Ned Zel, in an Australian match and poor Ned got the shits and walked out.

His biggest issue as said earlier I think he is very shy and has the personally of a tree stump... something for Shaun to work on.. His Football knowledge and technically ability from what I have seen and know are excellent,

midfielder

images

Big Al

Okon would have been here for the young Socceroos training camp so being with Sean is highly probable.

Him being the young Socceroos coach could be the delay, hence we are going to get who we set out to get.

But what happens, does he immediately step down as didn't someone say Trent and Budgie had some national duty in September and early season? This could be a complication.

I'll give him ago. good choice

Missing the in Dickoff we trust and associated gags already.

Big Al

Okon vs TW. 2-0 win wasn't it very early in the preseason
Okon vs Hutch 1-2 loss on last kick of the game. Led for 75 mins.

Will he take the job on the priviso he can use his Young Socceroos squad instead of ours or has he seen enough to think he can fix it

Big Al

His Twitter says 11 young Socceroos in 4yrs have made the step to senior Socceroos squad.

There club coaches probably had more input than him but the system is working and as others have said young Socceroos results maybe don't tell the whole picture

Reactions: adz

Rowdy

Which is ???????

If your alluding to the Belgian citizenship qualifying him as an overseas coach, I think you may be 'stabbing in the dark'.

If you play for the Socceroos your considered Australian - end of !

If not, then whats your clue ??

Rowdy

Or are you suggesting that someone from the club/or associated is 'letting the cat of the bag', by slipping this onto Wikipedia ?

dibo

The editor (or someone at their IP) who put the Mariners gig into Okon's page also posted in the Tim Cahill page that he was going to WSW. Can conclude they're full of it.

true believer

Okon was close to the best player i ever saw in an oz shirt .he looked spectacular in the italian league .
His problem was a gammie leg .

I'll take him over a failed
pom or a fox dog

Wombat

At least he will be able to set us up at the back.
He is a novice but would also have alot of knowledge.

pjennings

Okon vs TW. 2-0 win wasn't it very early in the preseason
Okon vs Hutch 1-2 loss on last kick of the game. Led for 75 mins.

Will he take the job on the priviso he can use his Young Socceroos squad instead of ours or has he seen enough to think he can fix it

I think it was 2-2 in July. Peter Storrie was around for that, as he was for the FFA Cup loss and he has been OS for the OS 'interviews'.

While the Okon appointment may well be true I will not take it as the truth until I hear it from a club source. . However if it is the truth it could lend some credence to the 'mutual' aspect of the TW sacking and Okon very well may have been the target all along. The fact that Okon has such a good understanding of what it takes to set up defensively in a professional side is a bonus that we surely need

The whole 'process' of looking at the new manager may have been designed to see if there was outstanding candidate (someone that can be argued we have not heard of as being identified - though many could be described as good candidates). After the last 'world wide search' CCM at least drafted what they are after in a manager, and set expectations for other applicants. Consider that:-

1. In the first game the Young Socceroos, though they are only brought together intermittently apparently looked the better side, with Trent and Liam in the Young Socceroo side.
  2. TWs family remains in England because of health issues with a child and he was always going to return at some point soon.
  3. We lose to Green Gully
  4. TW and PS discuss the ramifications. e.g. player morale, club memberships and decide that TWs departure is in both the clubs and his interest to be brought forward. Both have already seen Okon's ability.
  5. The decision for TW to go is made.
  6. CCM receive enquiries about the vacant position
  7. CCM draft what they are after in a manager, and set expectations for other applicants.
  8. HR and PS talked overseas to potential candidates and surmised that they had a better candidate identified.
  9. The final 'interview' for Okon was the second Young Socceroos camp.
  10. Okon - knowing he has the job and after seeing Adam Berry in July and August games recommends we tie him up.
Whether this is what happened is pure speculation - but it fits what we know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred