• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevor

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, had a gut feeling the new gaffer was likely to be from the UK. The locals and Herbert will only come into play because of the salary level.

Capt. Awesome

This has disaster written all over it. We don't need failed sacked coaches. Would like one that has had some success at lower levels.

Big Al

Going for former great players who are failures at UK management.

Is that to get more UK interest in the Mariners? If so what does that even achieve.

Mori and Vidmar are just as big names here

The locals are doomed

scottmac

Suspended
f**k me. If that's true we are f**ked. Regardless of success or failure of the coach, the method is just shit.

Hopefully it's just speculation

Rowdy

Shaun says 'were going to do it like this' & then Storrie says 'fcuk that. I'M DOING IT LIKE THIS!'

I suppose this is what we get when we have a part-time Executive Vice-Chairman, basing himself outside the country of origin of the business he controls.

Storrie comes back to the Coast like he's doing 'tours in Afghanistan'

Wish he'd drive over an IED on the Tuggerah straight on his next 'tour'. :cool:

Pirate Pete

I haven't posted for ages, but I've been reading the threads.

There's not enough
picard.gif
in the world to describe either Sherringham or Dickov turning up as our coach.
I was kind of looking forward to the new season with a new coach. But either of those.......
icon_cry.gif

scottmac

Suspended
I haven't posted for ages, but I've been reading the threads.

There's not enough
picard.gif
in the world to describe either Sherringham or Dickov turning up as our coach.
I was kind of looking forward to the new season with a new coach. But either of those.......
icon_cry.gif
Agree.

A Vidmar, Sterj team looks like a luxury now.

midfielder

They were supposedly down to a short list of six a week ago Middy and it's not 2 more weeks its 3 (four would not surprise if Storrie is only returning for interviews in a fortnight,) and 3 only leaves 3 weeks to prep.

Middy you can't draw up a detailed coaching plan worth the paper it's printed on unless you are intimately familiar with the league, squad and resources. And perhaps more to the point, you're unlikely to be able to f**king execute it in 3 weeks anyway. And that's exactly why the prep period is so important. Doesn't matter how brilliant your idea is if you don't have the time or resources to execute it. And ideally you want time to experiment with and test it. Look how long Arnie would spend just on getting our defence and structure right. He didn't want to neglect his attack, he just knew how long it takes to truly lock in, so he'd prioritise. We're already trying to punch upwards, we can't afford further disadvantages... like still figuring out how to play together by round 10.

I'm not against a thorough "world wide search" o_O or process ( so I agree with you in part Middy) But if they wanted that then they should have bloody sacked TW at the end of last season. Right now logic and reality dictates that we do not have that luxury. This is not the time for coaches to be building dioramas or doing power points. Personality and attitude can be discerned by an interview and research/references. Resumes/experience speak louder than promises or grand visions.

If someone can see some obvious pros that I'm missing that outweigh the cons of only having 3 weeks prep – beyond entertaining the forum with whose it gonna be discussions and also more than – but we have to be sure about the right coach - because you can never be sure... (right Mossy) ...then I'd love to hear them.

The fact is every coach on our short list is a gamble. No matter how well they interview or whatever glories they promise. Only Herbert can be viewed as at all predictable or proven in the HAL.

The cynic in me feels like they're keeping all the domestic candidates on tender hooks in the hope that they may land a bigger white whale. But at what cost? The present management is adept at ticking boxes financially, but when it comes to on field performances, they have the worst history in our club (and maybe of any HAL club now) and lets be clear, that has been underpinned by their focusing on an 'idea' of what they think will be great (entertain the league with all out attack without the resources to do so... or a long thorough appointment process in the latter stages of pre season for example) instead of what is clearly the more practical and humble. It reeks of yet another captains call approach. Again about perception rather than pragmatism. I've tried to give the benefit of the doubt, with things like Harrys appointment, youth/entertainment mantra and money ball etc... but this is really simple and obvious. So I'm firmly with Patton on this one...

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."

FP

I am coming around to your way of thinking and the general feeling expressed on the forum.

Also consider whether the coach can start on the day of appointment .... normally not and the time lag in some cases could take us into the season.

Further if Arry's in charge of the appointment as others have mentioned, there seems to be a built in bias towards English based coaches, as Australia coaches like players need to excel.... AP when discussing some of our key players like AM says they should be in decent clubs but because they are Australian they have a mountain to climb as we are seen as a non footballing nation.

My top 3 are Herbert, Mori and Hudson [if it is him] .

My guess is MC has tied Shaun's hands on the time table.

Pirate Pete

Given that Hudson is the NZ coach I can't see how we can get him.
Surely MC would have to pay NZ football a fair bit of compo to get him.

Gratis

Teddy Sheringham’s rejection of Mariners job not about money
c3c2418024016319082097e94492c055

Teddy Sheringham in his playing days for Manchester United.
  • The Australian
  • 12:00AM August 25, 2016
  • RAY GATT
Representatives acting for former Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur star Teddy Sheringham have denied he priced himself out of the Central Coast coaching job.

It was revealed exclusively in The Australian yesterday that the Mariners were sounded out by representatives of the 50-year-old former England international as a possible replacement for the recently sacked Tony Walmsley.

Sheringham and former Manchester City and Scottish international Paul Dickov are among seven or eight names that have been thrown around for the job. Locals Tony Vidmar, Damian Mori, Arthur Pappas, Mark Rudan and Mike Mulvey and New Zealand coach, Englishman Anthony Hudson, are also believed to be in the mix.

Given his high profile, the Sheringham approach is the one that has had Australian fans talking and got Mariners fans excited.

Sheringham, who played 166 games for Spurs and 104 times for Manchester United as well as being capped 51 times for England, was pitched to the Mariners several weeks ago.

The Australian was told the deal fell through because the Englishman’s financial demands were beyond the Mariners’ budget.

However, a representative for London-based agency ie:sports, who were acting on Sheringham’s behalf, says the budget constraints didn’t deter Sheringham.

“A budget was communicated to Teddy and it wasn’t what he had hoped for,” Joel Grenell told The Australian yesterday. “But he was still interested and wanted to sit down and discuss it. That would have made perfect sense.”

A move to the coaching scene in the A-League in Australia would have been seen as a good one for Sheringham as it would have also opened up the Asian market to him because of his high profile as a former Manchester United player.

Sheringham is relatively new to the managerial scene.

He made his debut as a manager with English League Two club Stevenage last season, but was dumped in February after recording just seven wins from 33 games.

The news on Sheringham comes amid some suggestions an announcement regarding the Mariners coaching situation could come sooner rather than later.

The interview process was supposed to take another two weeks so that it could take in talks with local candidates. The Australian understands that Mori and Vidmar were asked to provide answers to a number of questions.

However, given Mariners executive chairman Peter Storrie is believed to have finished the overseas process it points to the serious possibility that the next appointment will be a foreigner, with Dickov firming as the likely choice.

Rowdy

it points to the serious possibility that the next appointment will be a foreigner, with Dickov firming as the likely choice.

Dickov should Fcukov, preferably imo.

Just give it to Herb's and be done with it ! hell be moved in at Terrigal by next week ffs.

Our shit is ..... embarrassing. :headbutt:

localpom

To be fair to Dickov, he has had fairly decent coaching experience and has played at the top level. If anyone has seen him play they know he will at least have us fired up,organized and fighting for every point. IMO I think he would do at least as well as Herbert. We don't have such a bad record with Scottish coaches. Whoever comes in deserves a chance to show what they can do. Personally I would have liked to see Mori given a chance but there isn't an absolute obvious candidate in the list that's going around.

Luca Brasi

So nearly two and a half weeks already. And now being told another 3 weeks? I think nearly six weeks to attach a coach when you purportedly had your shortlist for over a week already is a long way from ideal.
Be careful what you wish for FP!
That did not deter Storrie, who has now made an approach to former Manchester City and Arsenal firebrand striker Paul Dickov. Dickov, a former Scottish International, is known to be considering the offer as he needs an opportunity after having been sacked in his two previous managerial positions with both Oldham Athletic and Doncaster Rovers. We believe Dickov will make his decision by this weekend.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So..if Dickov gets the gig and his awful will Sacko's hash tag read #DickOut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads