• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowdy

Dickov looms as one of six contenders for new Mariners coach:
gettyimages-470571862.jpg

Speculation is rife that former Premier League star Paul Dickov is a contender for the Central Coast Mariners coaching job, despite his underwhelming record as a manager in the United Kingdom.

The Mariners expect to appoint a coach in the second week of September, giving the new man barely three weeks to start working with the team before they kick off their A-League season with an away game against Perth Glory on 8 October.

Dickov is among several coaches who are understood to be on a six-man short-list for the Central Coast job, which became vacant after the sacking earlier this month of Tony Walmsley.

Mariners executive vice-chairman Peter Storrie is currently in the UK talking to candidates for the job, under the guidance of the club’s consultant, Harry Redknapp - the former long-time manager in the Premier League.

Storrie is due back within a fortnight, after which interviews with local candidates will be conducted by he and Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp, and an appointment will be made soon after.

"We‘re still going through the process at this stage," Mielekamp told The World Game.

"When Peter returns we’ll conduct face-to-face interviews here and we’ll do that as confidentially and as professionally as we can.

"We have every intention of having this wrapped up by mid-September."

The Mariners have refused to comment on speculation about coaches, who are reported to have applied for the job and, who are said to be under strong consideration.

But former Australia striker Damian Mori, who has been successful as coach of South Australian NPL team Adelaide City, former Socceroos defender Tony Vidmar, who is coach of the Australia Under-17 side, and former New Zealand All Whites coach Ricki Herbert are all in the running.

Herbert has had plenty of coaching experience in the A-League, with New Zealand Knights and Wellington Phoenix.

The World Game understands there are four serious candidates from this part of the world, including Kiwi Herbert, and two from the UK.

There has been speculation that current New Zealand All Whites coach Anthony Hudson, an Englishman, could be a contender as well, although it is not clear if that is the case.

Arthur Papas, the coach of Victorian NPL side Green Gully, has also been mentioned as a possible chance.

It was Green Gully’s shock win over Central Coast in an FFA Cup round of 32 game that hastened Walmsley’s departure.

Scotsman Dickov had stints as a striker with numerous clubs in England, including a long period with Manchester City.

But the 43 year-old hasn’t had much success as a coach in the lower leagues in England.

He eventually quit Oldham Athletic after poor results and was sacked by his most recent club, Doncaster Rovers.

It has been reported former England, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United striker Teddy Sheringham was approached to discuss the Mariners job, but that his asking price was too high.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/08/24/dickov-looms-one-six-contenders-new-mariners-coach

Forum Phoenix

Not impressed. They should speed it up. Two weeks before Storries back then they will interview? Unless he's still interviewing other candidates - thats madness.

localpom

Not impressed. They should speed it up. Two weeks before Storries back then they will interview? Unless he's still interviewing other candidates - thats madness.
As long as we get the right person for the job....i'm happy. Hutch, Brice and co should be getting them fit and the new coach will have 3 or 4 weeks before we start. It's not long but plenty of coaches get sacked during the season and new ones have no time.

Forum Phoenix

TW Sacked august 7 or 8th wasn't it?

So nearly two and a half weeks already. And now being told another 3 weeks? I think nearly six weeks to attach a coach when you purportedly had your shortlist for over a week already is a long way from ideal.

6 weeks prep vs 3 weeks is a huge difference.

How long has Storrie been in the UK for already? This is just an opinion, not fact, but from how it was put, it sounds like Storrie is busy with other things. So he needs another fortnight before he returns to do face to face interviews here. What Mariners work does he have to do over there besides a couple of interviews possibly? Which at the least makes it look like they're running the schedule around him. Which would be absurd.

Keep him up tonight on Skype and interview all candidates immediately. I can;t see what would be lost by doing that and it's not hard to do.

If, and i know its just an if, but if this is true, it really pisses me off.

The players and coaches lives are affected if not determined by their performances/results and this period will have a major baring on our season and possibly even our whole future coming off the back of the last two years.

Not trying to over dramatise it - thats just self evident I think.

6 weeks is not a short time to make an appointment. And we're short on time. Better off just calling Ricki or Mori now and have a coach with enough time to try and hit the ground running. 3 weeks is just too short. The coach will almost certainly use it as a justifiable excuse when we look poor. Which without being well drilled in a system and players roles - the truth is, we are very likely to be.

Not happy CCM.

Last edited:

Rowdy

TW Sacked august 7 or 8th wasn't it?
Agree, was the first thing I Googled after posting the article (it was the 8th) as I also questioned the timeframes since TW's sacking.
Coach will almost certainly use it as a justifiable excuse when we look poor.
Again, exactly my same thoughts with the new Manager being given only the 3 weeks.

And after just reading about the Scum's Pre-Season Tour of China where they'll play x3 Chinese teams & then come home to play Edgeworth Eagles, followed by the Western Sydney Wanderers.
They've got there shit together !

Whereas the pre-season friendlies we have possibly & definitely lined up:
• Canberra - Clubs ???
• Brisbane Roar - 10th September ✅
• Wellington - 24th September ✅
- Was talk of a possible game against WSW but havent heard anything definitive about it. Again ???

Doesn't bode well for the new Manager in regards to how many of these games will he 'actually be here' for ???

Considering Shaun's statement:
"We have every intention of having this wrapped up by mid-September."
30 days has September makes that '15th'ish'

I'd say 1 maybe ..... 2 games at best for the new Gaffer. Ridiculous!

shipwreck

cue circus music.

I agree about our CEO, what possible business does he have to be in England for two weeks for.... either admit he I on vacation or cue us in.

pjennings

cue circus music.

I agree about our CEO, what possible business does he have to be in England for two weeks for.... either admit he I on vacation or cue us in.

Our CEO is here, our Vice-Chairman, is in England at the moment.

Not that it matters, as FP said, why not Skype the interviews with Shaun and the candidate here and Peter Storrie OS.

Forum Phoenix

Just get it done. Insane to wait a fortnight for Storrie to face to face this far out from the season.

The first and most defining question for our would be coach from our 'short list' is if you were offered the position, can you drop everything and be here tomorrow. And if not when?

I'm not sure how much there really is between these coaches...who is? Which means that possibly any of these coaches tomorrow, would be a better option than any other one in four weeks time. I say 4 weeks, because if appointment is made mid sept, then expect to lose some time in packing their bags and heading over. Not to mention the way contracts/legals or visas if UK based etc can really slow things down.

What Rowdy said about our coach getting a decent number of pre season games is ##%$%% imperative. Sure coaches come in mid season, but that's because a team is falling apart - it's a last ditch solution - and certainly not a recipe for success.

Everyone on here knows I'm glass half full, but as I said months ago – probably in defence of the club sticking longer with TW – they would SURELY have a succession plan in place given the strong possibility of TW needing to be axed. The clubs response, if it takes till mid sept or longer, is inadequate imo and borders on foolish incompetence given it suggests no such plan B was in place.

Of course the future is very important, and so if they're terribly worried about making a bad choice, ok great, but if that's the key factor, then they should just go with the most known factor. Herbert.

Whoever was coming in already had a hell of a job to do to get us to make the six (A minimum goal in a comp of 10) and now they may be dooming whoever comes in, and our season, and even their career - purely due to a lack of decent preparation time.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

If you can't interview and decide between six coaches in a week. Then you're part of the problem, not the solution as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Big Al

Arry is to old to Skype.

Why use the phone when you can get on a plane:fireup:

Doesn't sound like they very keen on locals if not interviewing for another two weeks. Sounds like looking fo UK manager.

Pretty poor but on the bright side we don't start paying them till mid September

dibo

Oh good. 'Our advisor' is flogging our potential candidates to conference sides instead.

midfielder

^^^^^
FP

I not so concerned its going to take another two weeks. I like we established a process had a large number of applicants and have got the list down to six.

Only Hudson is a maybe he is kinda in hiding in NZ as he is still there national coach and if he does not get the job but applied its not a good look for him in NZ.

I think each has merit, and it could depend on what the interview process involves. They may ask each applicant draw up a detailed coaching plan, and have allowed them time to put it together.

They could have provided some practical examples for applicants to address on the day.

That we are taking our time for me is better than an appointment last week. Arry seems in charge of the process and I would assume he knows what he is doing.

Forum Phoenix

Just when we thought they were on track they are finding a way to f**k it up

That does sum up how I feel.

A better squad, new coach, new energy, a new decent strip, a new decent trip, and did I mention a new decent strip? ...but now every day the scales are tipping further against us.

Come on Sean. Speak to MC explain how vital it is to just book everyone in and tell f**king Storrie to get on Skype, then spend another day arguing about them, then make a decision. This is too severe a competitive disadvantage, exacerbated by every day the appointment process drags on. Another 2 -3 weeks of prep is a huge deal. Can we please give our new coach at least a fighting chance.

Forum Phoenix

^^^^^
FP

I not so concerned its going to take another two weeks. I like we established a process had a large number of applicants and have got the list down to six.

Only Hudson is a maybe he is kinda in hiding in NZ as he is still there national coach and if he does not get the job but applied its not a good look for him in NZ.

I think each has merit, and it could depend on what the interview process involves. They may ask each applicant draw up a detailed coaching plan, and have allowed them time to put it together.

They could have provided some practical examples for applicants to address on the day.

That we are taking our time for me is better than an appointment last week. Arry seems in charge of the process and I would assume he knows what he is doing.

They were supposedly down to a short list of six a week ago Middy and it's not 2 more weeks its 3 (four would not surprise if Storrie is only returning for interviews in a fortnight,) and 3 only leaves 3 weeks to prep.

Middy you can't draw up a detailed coaching plan worth the paper it's printed on unless you are intimately familiar with the league, squad and resources. And perhaps more to the point, you're unlikely to be able to f**king execute it in 3 weeks anyway. And that's exactly why the prep period is so important. Doesn't matter how brilliant your idea is if you don't have the time or resources to execute it. And ideally you want time to experiment with and test it. Look how long Arnie would spend just on getting our defence and structure right. He didn't want to neglect his attack, he just knew how long it takes to truly lock in, so he'd prioritise. We're already trying to punch upwards, we can't afford further disadvantages... like still figuring out how to play together by round 10.

I'm not against a thorough "world wide search" o_O or process ( so I agree with you in part Middy) But if they wanted that then they should have bloody sacked TW at the end of last season. Right now logic and reality dictates that we do not have that luxury. This is not the time for coaches to be building dioramas or doing power points. Personality and attitude can be discerned by an interview and research/references. Resumes/experience speak louder than promises or grand visions.

If someone can see some obvious pros that I'm missing that outweigh the cons of only having 3 weeks prep – beyond entertaining the forum with whose it gonna be discussions and also more than – but we have to be sure about the right coach - because you can never be sure... (right Mossy) ...then I'd love to hear them.

The fact is every coach on our short list is a gamble. No matter how well they interview or whatever glories they promise. Only Herbert can be viewed as at all predictable or proven in the HAL.

The cynic in me feels like they're keeping all the domestic candidates on tender hooks in the hope that they may land a bigger white whale. But at what cost? The present management is adept at ticking boxes financially, but when it comes to on field performances, they have the worst history in our club (and maybe of any HAL club now) and lets be clear, that has been underpinned by their focusing on an 'idea' of what they think will be great (entertain the league with all out attack without the resources to do so... or a long thorough appointment process in the latter stages of pre season for example) instead of what is clearly the more practical and humble. It reeks of yet another captains call approach. Again about perception rather than pragmatism. I've tried to give the benefit of the doubt, with things like Harrys appointment, youth/entertainment mantra and money ball etc... but this is really simple and obvious. So I'm firmly with Patton on this one...

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."

Last edited:

Gratis

hard to say how valid this is...

Mariners offer coaching role to Teddy Sheringham and Paul Dickov

We can reveal Central Coast Mariners football director Peter Storrie has bypassed all coaching applications and offered the senior coaching role to former Manchester United andTottenham star Teddy Sheringham.

The former England International, who played 755 Premier League matches, has only had a short managerial experience with League Two club Stevenage before being sacked early this year.

Sheringham was interested in the role until he politely declined the position after he was told it was only paying a $150,000 salary.

That did not deter Storrie, who has now made an approach to former Manchester City and Arsenal firebrand striker Paul Dickov.

Dickov, a former Scottish International, is known to be considering the offer as he needs an opportunity after having been sacked in his two previous managerial positions with both Oldham Athletic and Doncaster Rovers.

We believe Dickov will make his decision by this weekend.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/foot...marco-rojas/jtzu896w33kr1lk8ydbi5cecv/slide/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred