• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be our Manager?

Who should be the Mariners manager?

• Mossy......its going to click sooner or later.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Rudan.......inexperienced but a quality Footballer, a leader and could fix up our clueless defenders

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Mulvey.... a great Football brain. Led Brisbane to easy Championship win in his first season.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other...all suggestions welcomed.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Tony Walmsley. Good football brain. Great success with the Yoof and already established at CCM.

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adz

Staff member
This is a bit of a worry.

"WALMSLEY BOARDS THE SHIP

TONY Walmsley has taken leave from his full-time job until the end of the A-League season to concentrate on fulfilling his role as interim coach of the Mariners. As revealed in this column, Walmsley has been juggling his recent coaching commitments on the Central Coast with his, until now, full-time job working for a rail maintenance firm in Sydney. It got to the stage where Robbie Slater, whose son Tom plays for the Mariners, had to step in to lead a training session for the youngsters in Gosford."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...t-pirtek-stadium/story-e6frf4gl-1227270204442

a bit of a worry for the rail maintenance firm in Sydney?

localpom

Have read a couple of articles this week about Chris Morgan been mentioned as a possible Mariners Coach. Youth team coach at Sheffield Utd (Walmsley connection) and played alongside Monty as well, were he was also captain for a period of time. Seems a tough character. With all the right connections there may be some substance to this...

THE search for the Mariners’ new head coach has thrown up an English candidate, with the name of Sheffield United’s youth coach Chris Morgan believed to have been canvassed as the club seeks a successor to Phil Moss.

Though the search is in its infancy still, and vice chairman Peter Storrie has pledged to examine candidates from Australia, the UK and Europe, it’s believed Morgan’s name has come up in early discussions as a coach used to working with and developing young players.

The 37-year-old worked with newly appointed Mariners technical director – and interim head coach – Tony Walmsley at United, when Walmsley was head of academy recruitment from September 2012 for a year.

A former captain of the Blades and veteran of 247 appearances for the club – where he played alongside Mariners midfielder Nick Montgomery – Morgan is Senior Professional Development Coach at the club and responsible for its U21 side.

Twice he has been caretaker head coach of the first team, without securing the job long-term, having retired as a player in 2012.

United have had connections going back several years with the Mariners since director Kevin McCabe established a partnership between the two clubs in 2009, leading to both Montgomery and Walmsley switching in opposite directions.

The Mariners have made clear that they want to appoint a coach used to dealing with and promoting young players, and Morgan won the U21 side’s league in his first season as coach.

Ironically Morgan was caretaker head coach when then-Mariners boss Graham Arnold held discussions with United about taking the fulltime job in 2013, before withdrawing and describing the club as “prehistoric”.

Atomic

No dramas with Morgan as such... I'm hoping (expecting) due dilligence is done on his skills and vision for the team. The last paragraph that worries me though.

style_cafe

No dramas with Morgan as such... I'm hoping (expecting) due dilligence is done on his skills and vision for the team. The last paragraph that worries me though.
At least we have Monty & Walmsley as references.

It may also open the door for Monty to become assistant coach when he retires...

style_cafe

I`m suggesting that Monty has a lot more experience at a higher level than Hutcho & with someone he knows in charge would be a lot more comfortable in a supporting role.
Both would need to get their licences up to standard if they haven`t already & both need to get some experience coaching under their belt.
I view Hutcho as needing more time to get up to speed. JMO

Roy Law

I view Hutcho as the vital link between the old regime and what will be the new. I have absolutely no idea about his ability as a coach but as he is working towards his A licence, and Monty is likely to be captain next year, I expect him to be more involved in the coaching than Monty.

scottmac

Suspended
After the results & performances we've had since his exit I think we can now safely say that Moss was not the right man for the job. Not at this club anyway. Maybe he'd be better at another club without the added pressure of all the off field stuff that comes with being a Mariners manager. Let's not kid ourselves, it woyuld have to be one of, if not THE toughest managers gig in the A-League.

Gratis

Not convinced this is a good idea. and this article was written before last nights game.

WALMSLEY IN LINE TO
LEAD MARINERS INTO
NEXT SEASON
Central Coast Mariners interim coach Tony
Walmsley is to be sounded out over his
willingness to continue in the lead role next
season, after the club put on hold its search for
long-term replacement for the axed Phil Moss.
Owner Mike Charlesworth was due to unveil a
successor to Moss before the end of the current
season - but the English candidate he had in
mind is believed not to possess the correct level
of coaching qualifications to operate in the A-
League.
Charlesworth has also been impressed with both
the style and performances of the Mariners in the
four games under Walmsley's watch – that has
resulted on a win, two losses and a draw.
Demanding that that club plays an expansive
brand of football to win back the fans who have
voted with their feet this season, Charlesworth
has seen enough to convince him that Walmsley
– originally hired as technical director – can be
more than just a stop-gap coach.
Speaking ahead of Thursday’s duel against a
desperate Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium,
Walmsley declined to speculate on the future but
said the feedback so far from his tenure had
been “very positive”.
“The reality is I am the technical director and
interim coach, beyond that It’s not something I
can comment on or contemplate,” said the
Englishman, who is in his second stint with the
club.
“I am leaving things open on the future. I have
been a coach all my life (most recently with the
Mariners and Sheffield United youth set ups)
until I went out of football 18 months ago and
then this opportunity landed on my lap. It's a
chance to bring value when needed in the short-
term.
“My long term goals were all about stabilising
the ship and moving the club forward as
technical director.
“The environment is really positive and there’s
been good buy-in from the players.
“Whatever happens in the future, the Mariners
have to be expansive and forward thinking. We
need to capture the crowds back.
“I've been in the job less than four weeks and
the feedback both inside and outside the camp
has been very positive. It’s probably a sign of
how things need to be going forward for us.
“We’re approaching the games with a positive,
adventurous, pro-active style and the results for
me have been around how individual players can
adapt and put themselves forward for next
season.
“The results are being measured for me in how
players are developing – not necessarily just the
results on the park.
“But are going into games now believing that we
can win – and that’s what we’ll be trying to do.”
The Mariners earned plenty of plaudits after the
narrow 2-1 loss at Melbourne Victory last
weekend and Walmsey is looking for more of the
same in Brisbane, then the final home game
against Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday
week and road trips to Wellington Phoenix and
Victory again to wrap up the season.
Walmsley leads a duel life as a business
development consultant but said that would not
stand in his way should he take the Mariners
reins on a full-time basis.
His first order of business for now is to decide
whether to offer new contracts to the likes of
Hayden Morton, Isaka Cernak - who has been a
key contributor since Phil Moss's sacking - and
Travis Major, who are all doing their best to
impress as part of the first team squad.
“They can’t do any more than that and they will
be measured against potential recruits coming
in," Walmsley said.
"We are also looking at several key positions to
fill, albeit with limited resources."
Lying in eighth spot with 20 points from 23
games, the Mariners have won just four matches
all season and are 13 points off the playoff
places.
Walmsley is also looking forward to picking up
at least two young recruits from Everton on loan
from next season as part of the club’s newly
forged relationship with the Premier League club.
“We’re looking for a natural leftie with pace and
a striker or two to give us some additional
firepower,” he added.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/02/walmsley-line-lead-mariners-next-season

bikinigirl

. i won't comment on warmsley's coaching ... but i don't like the sound of that article. it has only taken him a few weeks to go from 'not interested in coaching' to this

. i feel we need both roles filled TD/football director and coach/manager. smells like another false economy is brewing

. i wonder if mike and tony have had 'the talk' yet:
'tony, you can earn $x if you combine the the two roles or you can earn $x/y if you just stick with the TD role ... and you will have less to try and recruit a decent coach'

Capt. Awesome

Looks like Walmsley will be named head coach in the next few days. I like Walmsley but I'm not sure this is the right decision. We are going to end up with another unproven coach finding his way in a difficult league. Happy to be proven wrong though. Happy about Hutch being assistant though.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...ary-cap-breaches/story-e6frf4gl-1227297681149

"THE focus at Central Coast Stadium will be on John Hutchinson’s last home game tomorrow, but it seems there will be big things happening behind the scenes. Though Mariners executive vice chairman Peter Storrie told us earlier this week that no decision has been made about a new coach, we hear Tony Walmsley will sign a contract in the next few days to take the job long term, with John Hutchinson as his No2.

It’s a bold move to give Walmsley his first senior head coaching role, but at least the club can start to make concrete moves for next season."

localpom

Looks like Walmsley will be named head coach in the next few days. I like Walmsley but I'm not sure this is the right decision. We are going to end up with another unproven coach finding his way in a difficult league. Happy to be proven wrong though. Happy about Hutch being assistant though.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...ary-cap-breaches/story-e6frf4gl-1227297681149

"THE focus at Central Coast Stadium will be on John Hutchinson’s last home game tomorrow, but it seems there will be big things happening behind the scenes. Though Mariners executive vice chairman Peter Storrie told us earlier this week that no decision has been made about a new coach, we hear Tony Walmsley will sign a contract in the next few days to take the job long term, with John Hutchinson as his No2.

It’s a bold move to give Walmsley his first senior head coaching role, but at least the club can start to make concrete moves for next season."
Bit of a risk but will support a Walmsley/Hutch partnership. We need to recruit well though to give this a chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred