• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be our Manager?

Who should be the Mariners manager?

• Mossy......its going to click sooner or later.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Rudan.......inexperienced but a quality Footballer, a leader and could fix up our clueless defenders

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Mulvey.... a great Football brain. Led Brisbane to easy Championship win in his first season.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other...all suggestions welcomed.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Tony Walmsley. Good football brain. Great success with the Yoof and already established at CCM.

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gratis

Yeah, feels like another Mossy choice to me.

That said I do believe Walmsley could do well and Hutch will keep the drive, passion and Mariners spirit alive. He (Hutch) has the potential to be a decent coach in time too. Man, I'd love to win the trophy/s one day with Hutch as coach.

Walmsley did well with the youth team AND recruited well there. He now has some decent foreign contacts and given the chance to mold his own squad and style it could end up decently successful. Here's hoping! (if these rumours are true but I think it's likely)

nebakke

I'm in two minds about this too... I like Walmsley and I like that he's - at least - proven himself a bit in the Youth League as well... I also like that he's an internal appointment, much as I really wanted someone new from the outside, at least he's not one of the usual suspects and he should bring with him a good chance of maintaining the team ethos etc... Especially in combo with Hutch...

BUT... I really wanted someone new if we were going to change things around and while he's done well in the Y-league, he's still fairly unproven as already pointed out.

Also, a 6-1 thrashing at the hands of Brisbane is a bit of a worry, but then... Most coaches have seen one or two of those...

All-in-all, not exactly overwhelmed, but not hanging my head in despair either...

Big Al

What's the thoughts on Warmsley action against the roar.
Do people like the attacking intent, think it was reckless and naive or just a bugger it what does it matter decision?

When Anderson went off complaining his shirt was to tight in the first half and we were down 2-0. Warmsley went to put Major a centre forward in dukes wing position and go 3 at the back with terribly slow and out of positioned Bosnar in the middle. Minutes later we went down 3-0.

I like the attacking intent but thought it quite reckless at that time in the game. Especially with Griff on the bench. Definitely got punished for his decision. Could have even made the decision to bring Griff on later when clear it didn't work but minimising the damage didn't seem to matter.

Gratis

I think he thought what the hell nothing to lose.

also the game plan had worked (even though we'd lost) the last couple of games before it and it was more of the same. except the players seemed to forget to put in the required intensity and done got drubbed. i do believe a few players gave up their chance of a renewed contract that game.
It does concern me that roar had the answers to our our game plan even if our players didn't do well at it and Walmsley had no plan b. in fairness he didn't have the players and the players didn't have the training for a worthwhile plan b. but he needs to sort that sheet out if it's not to happen again.

haha, ando going off with a too tight shirt, love it

pjennings

I'm in two minds about this too... I like Walmsley and I like that he's - at least - proven himself a bit in the Youth League as well... I also like that he's an internal appointment, much as I really wanted someone new from the outside, at least he's not one of the usual suspects and he should bring with him a good chance of maintaining the team ethos etc... Especially in combo with Hutch...

BUT... I really wanted someone new if we were going to change things around and while he's done well in the Y-league, he's still fairly unproven as already pointed out.

Also, a 6-1 thrashing at the hands of Brisbane is a bit of a worry, but then... Most coaches have seen one or two of those...

All-in-all, not exactly overwhelmed, but not hanging my head in despair either...

Very close to my thoughts. I was hoping that the 'world-wide search' for once would be a world-wide search and Storrie seemed to be talking the talk that we all wanted to hear. My concern raised by this is how much of Storrie's talk was true and how much was telling us what we wanted to hear to quieten the unrest with next season just to be more of the same.

nebakke

Very close to my thoughts. I was hoping that the 'world-wide search' for once would be a world-wide search and Storrie seemed to be talking the talk that we all wanted to hear. My concern raised by this is how much of Storrie's talk was true and how much was telling us what we wanted to hear to quieten the unrest with next season just to be more of the same.

I think you worded well what I was trying to write myself. It's not so much the choice of Walmsley that leaves me in two minds... I'm relatively happy with it I suppose, it's more the question of how it relates to the strategic considerations and all the quotes and promises.

Wombat

The hammering at the hands of an average Roar side leave me underwhelmed. I like Warmsley but I'm not sure he is ready to be head coach at this stage and what does Hutch know about coaching, although he is a natural leader.
Seams like more Charlesworth craziness.

soccer mad

I think Wamsley is showing signs of the direction he wants us to play , high press and players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet .The tempo of this game has big output the need to be super fit or a natural big engine. I feel the players have responded to his game plan quite well in such a short time ,as for the shalacking we got from brisbane better earlier than later every coach has had one. AROCK once said I'd rather be beaten by 6 than lose 6 games .So far he looks sound .

MagpieMariner

I like the way we're playing now. If Walmsley can keep us going in this direction (and we can get some extra class in the off-season), I'm happy for him to get the gig.

Gratis

I agree, some decent cb's and strikers and we'll be dangerous..

no disrespect to the current lads but need some high quality in those departments I think no one would deny

scoober

I think Wamsley is showing signs of the direction he wants us to play , high press and players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet .The tempo of this game has big output the need to be super fit or a natural big engine. I feel the players have responded to his game plan quite well in such a short time ,as for the shalacking we got from brisbane better earlier than later every coach has had one. AROCK once said I'd rather be beaten by 6 than lose 6 games .So far he looks sound .
Word coming out of the camp was there was a gastro bug that went through the playing group before the Brisbane game, which does explain the lackluster performance between two good ones.

Capt. Awesome

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...ey-as-head-coach/story-e6frf4gl-1227300659201

THE Mariners hope to announce their new head coach this week, with interim boss Tony Walmsley poised to be given the long-term job with a brief to forge an “expansive, risky, adventurous” identity.

The Central Coast bounced back from last week’s 6-1 mauling by Brisbane to inflict another defeat on Western Sydney on Saturday night, ensuring the Wanderers cannot catch the Gosford club on the league table and giving retiring captain John Hutchinson a winning last game at Central Coast Stadium.

As The Daily Telegraph revealed on Thursday, the improved displays wrought by Walmsley since succeeding Phil Moss — barring what Walmsley called a “car crash” at Brisbane — have been enough to convince the club’s executives that he should land the job full-time.

If the appointment might be met with scepticism among some of the club’s disenfranchised supporter base, given Walmsley’s inexperience as a senior head coach, the man himself admitted his temporary role had been “really enjoyable”.

The Daily Telegraph understands that the club hopes to confirm the new man in place before Friday’s trip to Wellington, so that discussions over re-signing players — and targeting new recruits — can begin in earnest.

Walmsley could barely stop grinning after Josh Rose’s second minute goal was enough to defeat Western Sydney on Saturday night, joking that amid the controversy over Perth’s salary-cap punishment that he was “fairly sure” the low-budget Mariners hadn’t exceeded the cap.

Walmsley had been made technical director just before Moss was sacked, but made clear that he wanted the coaching role despite the challenges it would bring — even warning of the “big risk” in bringing in an outside identity as head coach.

“I’m enjoying it thoroughly at the moment,” he said. “As technical director it’s allowed me to get a first-hand look at the players and live the first steps of a proactive and entertaining playing style and it’s really enjoyable.

“I’m here for the players and to see the rewards of their efforts and see them feel good. When I came in they weren’t feeling too good about themselves and that’s the thing I’m most pleased with.

“There’s a lot of satisfaction for me for either doing the job or finding the right person to do the job. But they [the new coach] have to be aligned in our thinking.

“They have to be prepared to live and breathe what we’re trying to do. So getting the wrong person is the big risk at this stage.”

Walmsley said that the Mariners had to offer a unique product to attract a sustainable supporter base given the limited populace in the Central Coast region.

“We’re in the entertainment business and we have to really have a go and as the smallest club in the league we have to play with an expansive, risky, adventurous playing style,” he said. “There’s a lot more sophistication to be had but there’s some really good signs.”

Gratis

"an expansive, risky, adventurous playing style,” suits me!

all sounding very positive, I'm happy to get behind this

MagpieMariner

Basically, I want us to win every match. That's not going to happen, of course, but as long as the team has a go and plays an up-tempo style, I'm happy. I'd almost rather see a 5-6 result than a boring 1-0 win (almost). An exciting 1-0 win like Saturday's offering will be more than acceptable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred