• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Who should be our Manager?

Who should be the Mariners manager?

• Mossy......its going to click sooner or later.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Rudan.......inexperienced but a quality Footballer, a leader and could fix up our clueless defenders

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Mulvey.... a great Football brain. Led Brisbane to easy Championship win in his first season.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other...all suggestions welcomed.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Tony Walmsley. Good football brain. Great success with the Yoof and already established at CCM.

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gratis

I'm still completely torn on what I think. It goes a little something like this-

Is the problem the quality of players or the coaching?
It's likely a bit of both.

So, changing no personnel, what to do?
Only answer seems to be coach to a system the players we have can be successful at.

That's not happening, and we're 2/3 into a season without looking much better, so what next?
Some say change coaching staff, some say change players, some say wait as the players catch up to the system.

The catch - the bossman simply won't spend on these, indeed he wants to save another $million a year.

Thus would spending the same or less on new coaches or players really improve all that much?

Waiting for it to fall together starts to seem the best answer... but can it really go on like this? Would that even work?

The Storrie story is still unfolding and until the consultant advises on his 'look at the whole club -
to restructure the entire operation, including
the football and the business sides' we have no real knowing what direction things will take and can only hope that any changes start to make things click again.

dibo

I think the players are broadly not good enough. I think that's either a case of underspending or bad picks (MC or PM).

I don't have a big issue with the tactics - they've been poorly executed, but tonight there were too many misplaced passes and wrong options taken to count.

I don't mean a bad plan, I mean bodies being in motion to attack and someone hits the pass over the sideline. Or to the opposition. Or in completely the wrong direction.

That's confidence-sapping. Who could be f**ked making a decent run if the options taken are wrong or poorly executed. People stop running, we are static, we create f**k all.

PM has to wear it if the players are his picks. But the players have to take some responsibility too. Josh Rose stuck his hand up for the own goal, and fair enough. But Bosnar's pass that was behind him, putting him under pressure and forcing him to play a bail-out ball... f**k me dead...

Nobody's been immune to it, and we can't sack everyone, but everyone's had days where they deserved a kick in the arse.

We've got the squad we've got, I'm not sure another coach gets any better out of them, I'm not sure we get out of this all in a hurry.

Brings me back to how I wish we went for more kids - at least then if we make dud picks we can say "hey, they're kids, there'll be some rough amongst the diamonds"...

nearlyyellow

Brings me back to how I wish we went for more kids - at least then if we make dud picks we can say "hey, they're kids, there'll be some rough amongst the diamonds"...
How young do you want the average age and age composition to be? I reckon it's already the lowest in the HAL on both counts (without actually doing the sums for all the other teams though). That comes back to
I think the players are broadly not good enough. I think that's either a case of underspending or bad picks (MC or PM).
and
But the players have to take some responsibility too.
but
we can't sack everyone
So, what should we do?

VicMariner

I'm starting to think we are going to suck until the next broadcast deal while MC is the owner.
After that? Who knows?

nearlyyellow

Unless they raise the salary cap limits by a commensurate amount who's to say that MC won't just suck out the extra cash to fund the property development? And the team will still languish at the bottom of everything.

dibo

How young do you want the average age and age composition to be? I reckon it's already the lowest in the HAL on both counts (without actually doing the sums for all the other teams though).

[snipped for tidiness]

So, what should we do?
Long and short of it is I don't really know. Not get ourselves into this position is probably a start. I think we've made poor picks and could've done better, but now we're here we're a little stuck. Players losing their bottles and backgrounding people on how the manager's lost the dressing room are likely the same players who can't hit a straight pass, or who go hiding when there's defensive work to be done, or who drop their heads when we concede and don't show any desire until it's too late in the game to make a difference.

The coach who may or may not have picked his own squad and who can't afford, at this point, to walk or be sacked is trying his best to put a gloss on the situation but he's in a no-win spot too.

The owner who's trying to save cash and might have got a few key calls wrong is stuck too.

I'm not going to pretend I have an answer. All I know is that the genesis of our problems is complicated and the solutions will be too, and they can't be encapsulated in a single summary execution of a coach because there's more to it than that.

I'm starting to think we are going to suck until the next broadcast deal while MC is the owner.
After that? Who knows?
I think that's right, and I think even that scenario could've played out a different way.

Had we been really deliberate and open about it and said that we're going to go out to be the 'youth' team in the league, going cheap and cheerful to survive until the next deal, it might have been a little easier to swallow than picking a squad that is young-ish but still not exactly a 'fresh out of the academy' kind of squad but which isn't really good enough. There aren't many of this lot who'll still be in the HAL in four year's time.

Capt. Awesome

The money saved by not being in the acl should be invested in a payout to mossy
This isn't actually true. This year we were actually going to make a profit from competing. The sponsor deal this year was good enough to cover the expenses and then some.

VicMariner

I don't buy the conspiracy that MC doesn't want to be in the ACL. What better place to put players in the window if he wants to shift them?

midfielder

I know he is the current Australian number 2 to Ange... and he was number 2 to Aloisi at Heart... and Number 2 at the Drive Bys .... Love to get Milicic on the Coast ...

Last edited:

elevated position

Milicic will make a fine HAL coach. Very astute and Melbourne City did him a favor by not giving him the job post Aloisi.
I think though a couple of years more in the national team would suit him better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred