• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

'Who do we sing for?'

dibo

adz said:
CCM4lyf said:
Nice chant boys.

But shouldnt we try something original or atleast that isnt in the A-League?

maybe?
suggestions?

exactly - anyone who wants us to sing a new song need only suggest it, get it started in the kendall, on a bus, in the bay, whatever. but we will never sing anything new if nobody ever tries it out.

dibo

Bearinator said:
So, could someone write the entire preferred lyrics here please, I'll get the cadence from the YouTube clip, and off we go (you know I'm a nutter and I will be practising this at home. Poor wife!!!).

aubs (albeit posing as bear for the mo' :) ),

i'll whack the vid in again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeY575iliJw

i think we'd have to go with:

call: who do we sing for?

response: we sing for the mariners.

the rhythm is really important, that's the only way to have heaps of people doing it quickly so it keeps its energy but know what time to keep as well.

it's something like:

dadada da da

dada dada dada da

it follows a tune, as opposed to 'we sing for coasties' which is more of a roar, which has its own attractions, but we can make use of that elsewhere.

the rhythm of the second part is difficult to make out because it seems to turn to mush, but if you just repeat the first two lines it becomes:

la la laa lala, laa lalalala

yes, i know, it looks silly but sing it to yourself in time with the tune in the vid. it makes sense once you've done it a few times. having the tune written out would be good but i can't read or write music and probably most of the folks on here are the same.

get the arms up and pointing with the call and response, and people should dance about and generally enjoy themselves in the song part.

we're allowed to have fun at the football! :piralaugh:

Shooter25

dibo said:
ForzaJets said:
Blatanly took our Colchester song (which of course we took from the U's) after we outsung you guys with it last week. Typical.

what song would that be?

GZ said:
Just a question?

Where did you first hear this chant?

youtube - the file linked in the OP.

Edit: was first floated on our old forum on the 22nd June last year.

We've done it a few times with varying success.

I've actually never heard the SCC do it (and i've been to a few sydney games not involving the mariners, including the match on the weekend). some folks did do it at the olyroos game, but nicking songs from a NT crew is hardly new or a hanging offence...

Funny because both the SCC and Cove do it now. And the NT, and the Den.

dibo

Shooter25 said:
Funny because both the SCC and Cove do it now. And the NT, and the Den.

we didn't hear the den do it when we were up there (not that they didn't sing other songs i've heard the cove do...).

i've not heard the SCC or cove do it (and i've been to both away matches this year and both the home matches - remembering the washout, plus the first sydney newcastle game where i was up near the cove and the melbourne game on the weekend down in bay 40).

check the forum link, we've been working on this one for ages (since before this season started).

Shooter25

Permboy said:
Yeah must admit it was a lame attempt at improving a song we flogged off you guys.
its just Mariners doesnt really fit with the song where as say Aussie, Sydney, and Coastie would improve pace.
but overall i would rather not sing it.

Now you have me confused when one of your own agrees with me.

AEK210

Guys - dont usually go on other teams forums to whinge so i will start with a positive.

Congrats on winning the minor premiership and also for been a fine example fo how a club should engage the community.

Now my bone of contention. We strive for originality in the A-league but the amount of plagerism that goes on is unbelievable.

To an extent it is expected at the beginning of the League when everyone was just getting started. But since then many groups have just copied the other.

The SCC leads the way in coming up with original material. They say imitation is the ultimate form of Flattery, but it is just getting frustrating.

The Den, B & W Boys, Jets, Phoenix and Marinators have all ripped the SCC/Cove songs off. The SCC prides itself on its originality.

It would be great to go to games and not see oppostion supporters singing the exact same songs. Its embarrassing.

adz

Staff member
originality meaning you steal it from an OS club rather than an A-League one?

Shooter25

adz said:

Originality meaning at least make an attempt to adapt a song that isn't done in this league. Its not hard to search through youtube and find plenty of stuff that hasn't been done rather than just be lazy and copy another club in the same league.

Don't use the OS excuse as a means to be lazy.

dibo

AEK210 said:
Guys - dont usually go on other teams forums to whinge so i will start with a positive.

Congrats on winning the minor premiership and also for been a fine example fo how a club should engage the community.

cheers, and welcome.

AEK210 said:
Now my bone of contention. We strive for originality in the A-league but the amount of plagerism that goes on is unbelievable.

To an extent it is expected at the beginning of the League when everyone was just getting started. But since then many groups have just copied the other.

The SCC leads the way in coming up with original material. They say imitation is the ultimate form of Flattery, but it is just getting frustrating.

The Den, B & W Boys, Jets, Phoenix and Marinators have all ripped the SCC/Cove songs off. The SCC prides itself on its originality.

It would be great to go to games and not see oppostion supporters singing the exact same songs. Its embarrassing.

originality is ripping songs off youtube? i'm sorry, but basically none of our clubs have original material. there is bugger all around that is not sung by (and originally influenced by) fans somewhere else.

every club it seems has a bevvy of songs to the tunes 'la guantamera' and 'when the saints go marching in', plus access to the same limited sample of youtubed material. the only unique thing i think i've seen the SCC thing do is the 'sitting and swaying' bollocks, and you can have that all to yourself as far as i'm concerned.

originality is a foreign concept it would seem, so to knock us for using the same sources for ideas as you is horseshit.

what is football support about? do we get points for creativity? do we get style points? do the folks in the stands mark us down because we're singing the bastardised atalanta version of sos cagon rather than the original river plate version?

it's about supporting our teams in the way *we* (not opposing fans, or anyone else, for that matter) feel is best.

thanks for your input, but i think we'll sing what we want to sing.

AEK210

adz said:

Originality as far as A-league is concerned. Its no good for the league for support groups to be copies of each other. We have to get rid of this shallow manufactured feeling.

SCC shows initiative, making banners, constantly looking for new songs etc). All groups whould be doing this. There is a whole footballing world out there to choose songs from and enhance the diversity of our football fan culture in Australia.

Shooter25

Dibo.. the point is as Permboy has said is you've ripped it off us.

Yes you can sing what you want.... but surely when everyone else is singing it more or less maybe you'd like to sing something different?

AEK210

dibo said:
what is football support about? do we get points for creativity? do we get style points?

No - but you get reputation and admiration. If people just see paper thin immitations they do not think highly of the support groups.

For the A-league and the Fan culture we need diversity.

Anyway - I dont want to be seen as a troll and not be constructive. I prefer to be positive - just a little frustrating when u see A-league fans coming up with the same songs.

Congrats on a good season, and great crowds. Hope u guys get bumper crowds for the Semis

FFC Mariner

Sounds to me like the whole ethos of the SCC is "originality". Wasnt the Cove original enough for you??

Elitism in anything is tiresome and if its ok with you, we will continue to support OUR club (as opposed to FFA's personal toy) the best way we can.

Your input is pointless TBH

dibo

Shooter25 said:
Dibo.. the point is as Permboy has said is you've ripped it off us.

and like i said, i've never heard you do it, and we've had this one in the works there and about for ages. perhaps you got it working before us, do you get to claim dibs on it? it's like fighting over a f**king cupcake.

Shooter25 said:
Yes you can sing what you want.... but surely when everyone else is singing it more or less maybe you'd like to sing something different?

when 'la guantamera' and 'when the saints go marching in' aren't used as the basic tune for half the songs sung at all clubs then maybe you'd have a point.

i dispute that everyone else is singing it, i know that i heard it at the olyroos game but that is seriously the only other time i've heard it done. i certainly have not heard the cove, SCC, BWB or anybody else singing it and i've been at close quarters with all of them within the last 6 weeks.

a version of it was done with quite some success the other night at our ground, but i didn't like it terribly much so i figure if it's going to be done by us we ought to do it as well as we can.

as you might be able to tell if you browse around our forum, we've been working on a few things over the last month or so, and this is only one of them.

i don't see you guys as trolls and appreciate the point you're making, i just basically disagree on the angle you're taking. again, welcome to the forum.

brett

The Marinators are a new, growing and improving supporter group. We're mostly made up of Coasties who hadn't been to much live football before the A-League started.

There are those of us who are working on our originality and 'rep', but so far this has often meant teaching people songs other than 'lets go Mariners lets go'. That's fine. We also have some stuff that's unique to us in the A-L and some stuff we've made up ourselves (we win away!).

But first and foremost our job is to support our team as best we can. If this means singing stuff that came from somewhere else, be it overseas or in Australia, I couldn't give a shit. If our people like it and it works that is another good step in the right direction for us.

I'm not weighing into where this particular song came from because I haven't heard it around the traps either. But A-League street cred is something we're not interested in, neither is seemingly being more in love with our own greatness in innovation or whatever rather than simply supporting our players as a united fan base as loudly and effectively as possible.

Jeff (LouMacari)

dibo said:
Bearinator said:
So, could someone write the entire preferred lyrics here please, I'll get the cadence from the YouTube clip, and off we go (you know I'm a nutter and I will be practising this at home. Poor wife!!!).

response: we sing for the mariners.....

I think the response needs to have the word 'the' removed and just "WE SING FOR MARINERS"...fits better?

Sean

Jeff (LouMacari) said:
dibo said:
Bearinator said:

response: we sing for the mariners.....

I think the response needs to have the word 'the' removed and just "WE SING FOR MARINERS"...fits better?

much better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred