• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

What wrong with the Mariners

dru

daddy cool said:
It all about the product if the product is crap no ones going to buy it. With a couple of exeptions CCM are at best a team that just goes through the motions , people want star quaility and its up to the club to do something about that. Crowd was pathetic on Saturday night and dont give the ratio crap with capital cities etc I dont care about Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory the Central Coast should be able to draw a supporter base of at least 10000 a game.
People still buy tickets on deathstar and tiger airways

Wombat

Yep.    I was there on Sat and was shocked to see such a poor crowd.  I guess we have lost three on the trot and are playing very ugly Football atm BUT I thought our min was 7K.
That crowd was back to the bad old days of season one against shit sides like NZ knights.

Maybe the Coasties are more decerning and expect half decent football and won't fork out for kick it anywhere stuff we have been playing lately.

FFC Mariner

Or it was the last Saturday before Christmas and a 6pm kick off (ruling out most workers and anyone playing cricket)

Our core is still about 7k, there were just a lot of alternatives on Saturday IMHO

FFC Mariner

daddy cool said:
Lode of Crap, perfect night and perfect temperature no excuses what so ever people just couldnt be bothered.

must have taken you ages to interview all of the people who werent there.

dru

FFC Mariner said:
daddy cool said:
Lode of Crap, perfect night and perfect temperature no excuses what so ever people just couldnt be bothered.

must have taken you ages to interview all of the people who werent there.
Can confirm I am yet to be interviewed :(

Wombat

Some players dont want the ball.  If you don't have the confidence to want it you shouldn't be out there.
We have no depth in our defence.  Starting back four of Boogs/Wilko/Doig/Heff is strong.
Sat's back four is ACL standard........i.e shite!!
We missed 3 open goals on sat so even though we were shite 4.2 win would have looked good and masked the problems.
Bojic is a decent player but NOT good enough to anchor the mid.
This should be our nstarting side mid week

Danny

Boogs Doig  Wilko  Heff

Travis  Crowell Wee mac  Hutcho

Simon D-Mac

Forum Phoenix

pjennings said:
I can live with that team. Just tell Lawrie that Wee Mac is in the middle and Hutch is on the left.

:piralaugh:

Agree with Wombats lineup except on overall form - not saturdays - I think Kwassie still deserves the start. Unless like last time we played Bling away DMac is willing to muscle up and not be out bodied by bloody colisimo.

Special 1

:naughty: ???

My opinion for team setup when not injured;

Danny

Boogs        Doig      Wilko      Heff 

Pedj

Travis                                  Hutcho

MM 
            Elrich                                    Matty

Saturdays team should have read;

Danny

Clark          Boogs        Wilko          Pedj

Crowel

Elrich                                    Travis

MM
            BigMac                                  Simon

We should not be playing 442 and there are too many long balls. Alot of the players look great during the warm ups however most lack the intense technical ability of the opposition so maybe back to the drawing board focusing on 1st touch and 1v1 techniques. I also will question the teams pre game warmup as too static apart from the SSG which I think is to small. At this level lane work is not applicable so lets have a change as this is not working 3 losses from 3 at home if any one is superstitous.

bulldogmariner

4-4-2 doesnt have to involve long balls. A good 4-4-2 formation relies on wingers overlapping and pushing forward to get crosses into the penalty spot. I for one are a fan of 4-4-2 if played correctly think it really does work.

Mariners do not have the wingers who can carry out the formation which is the biggest problem with them playing it. Also we dont have strikers who consistantly score or get into good areas. Mrdja was outstanding in NYL and hopefully he is getting back to his best.

marinermick

bulldogmariner said:
Mariners do not have the wingers who can carry out the formation which is the biggest problem with them playing it. Also we dont have strikers who consistantly score or get into good areas. Mrdja was outstanding in NYL and hopefully he is getting back to his best.

This is the crux of the problem.

We really don't play 4-4-2 because our fullbacks overlap and our outside midfield tucks in. However, as bulldog has said, the fullbacks have been struggling to do so and when they have the outside midfielders have not tucked in behind to cover in defence. That lack of covering resulted us in conceeding all three goals against Melbourne.

Also, as bulldog said, it doesn't help when we don't have consistent striker banging the goals away. We have relied too much on our midfield to score goals this season.

dibo

i've not really agreed with the 'we play long balls all day' thing for the most part, but on saturday we were terrible - so much hit 'n' hope to matty... not a good look. that says we've got an issue in midfield as much as anything - not enough movement and not enough enterprise there means that the defenders behind them go 'f**k it, i'll kick to the corner flag'.

Jerem

it seems we just have for want of words,
chronic mental diahorrea, and all the confidence and sparkle of
a good match just goes out the ocean like a switch, i see it as confidence
issues leading to inconsistency and just goes into one vicious cycle,

LMs sometime brainsnap subs dont help, it is definitely time to clean
out the deadwood, driftwood, hookworms, whatever you want to call it

scottmac

Suspended
Jerome said:

Didn't we do that last year?

I think our problem has been the pairing of Wilko and Boogs. Our play during the start of the year and when we do well was built on patience and confidence at the back. It is missing now.

Boogs is playing as bad as i have seen him play. The mid year desicion to leave has done nothing for him. I would like to see LM punt him now and maybe give one of the NYL guys a go. There is no point having him in the team if he continues like this.

Crowell needs to start so that we can move Bojic to RB. We are weak there and have been every time Doig is out. Bojic will not be muscelled off the ball too many times as Porter does and will run all game. Maybe Boogs will play better with someone a bit tougher there.

The midfield has lost its ability to play anyone, anywhere. At our best this year (eg GC @ home) the midfield was able to rotate around the diamond and not loose any cohesiveness. Thats now gone and i think its due to some weird team choices some of which have been forced, some not.

The fact that Wee Mac has been on and off since the qualifiers could have a lot to do with it as well.

FFC Mariner

Pedj in a rotating diamond would have most people running screaming for the exits - you need 4 mids who are comfortable on the ball and can do the simple things very well. He isnt that type of player.

Emergency C Back perhaps?

Agree that a back 4 of Pedj Wilko Sherlock Heff is least worst right now.

Boogs was dreadful as far back as the Melb (away) game, Porter had to come across and dig him out a few times and most people tend to switch off when they are working out their notice. No blame to the guy its just the way it is.

MagpieMariner

Another thing that could be a problem -- when was the last time we started the same team 2 weeks in a row?
The more often you change your line-up, whether forced or no, the less cohesion you have.
If you KNOW that someone is going to be running into that hole that's just opened up, you can pass there without delay. If you've got to look to see if someone's running, your pass is delayed and you say to the opposition "hey, I'm gonna pass the ball there", which allows them to be there to cut you off. It seemed to me that we were doing more telegraphing than Telstra on Saturday.

Jerem

scottmac said:
Jerome said:

indeed we did, but in my opinion not enough, we have youth players chompin at the bit to have a crack, and yet we give it to passionless twits

scottmac

Suspended
Jerome said:
scottmac said:
Jerome said:

indeed we did, but in my opinion not enough, we have youth players chompin at the bit to have a crack, and yet we give it to passionless twits

Fair

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred