• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Welcome Paolo! Paul Okon is CCM's new coach

Gratis

Paul Okon’s Mariners second from bottom but he’s happy
As Paul Okon approaches the coffee shop, he is walking briskly. There is even a bit of a swagger — and he is clearly smiling.

It is not the look many pundits would have been expecting to see from the coach of the Central Coast at this time of the season.

The Mariners are second from the bottom of the table with 10 points — 23 behind leaders Sydney FC — and haven’t won in their past five games. They are, in many quarters, regarded as the team most likely to end up with the wooden spoon.

None of that seems to bother Okon, who is in his first season as a senior coach in the A-League.

The former Socceroos star prefers to see the positives in the continued development of his players, his growth as a coach and the way forward for a proud club that has fallen on tough times.

At the halfway mark of the season and Okon less than five months into the job, he can take pride that the Mariners are performing much better than expected, though he knows there are going to be more hurdles to negotiate before this season is finished.

“We are, sort of, where I thought we might be ... competitive and looking to improve. The attitude? Good. The work ethic? Good. The feeling? Good,” Okon said.

“We are a little bit inconsistent but every game we have had good moments.”

As much as he knows it is going to take time to put his stamp on the team — he was appointed only five weeks out from the start of the season — winning is still paramount for a man who was used to success as a player both in Australia and during a 15-year career in Europe.

Asked what he had learned as a coach over the past 4½ months, Okon didn’t hesitate — “that I hate losing”.

“I forgot what it felt like to lose, the losses are pretty hard to take,” he says.

“As a player it’s a bit different because you analyse your own performance and if the team loses and you performed well then there is that part of you that says you have done your job.

“As a coach, you feel you have done something wrong, you’ve missed something or there is something you could have done better.

“ You might enjoy a win briefly but the reality is you have to move on quickly because you are only as good as your last game.”

So, has it been tough?

“Tough? Not as much as I thought it would be, but it’s full-on,” Okon said. “The mind never switches off. I am constantly thinking of what can be done better, how to deliver it better, to make little adjustments.

“One positive is that the players understand how I want the team to play. That requires hard work, every training session to be at a high level and I think maybe initially that was a bit of a shock to them. But they have responded and continue to respond.”

As a player, Okon was one of the most talented this country has produced. He had wonderful ball skills, the ability to hold on to possession and then glide past players.

Having spent the majority of his football career overseas, it’s no surprise that his philosophy as a coach is to develop the skills of his players, to keep possession, to preach patience.

Few, however, would have expected him to try this with a Mariners squad that does not have the quality of some of the big clubs in the A-League.

The consensus was that if he wanted to be competitive, he would have to rely on direct football — pumping long balls to the quick men up front. Ugly football.

But Okon has always been single-minded and he was determined not to deviate from his principles. The fact the Mariners started the season with two draws and two losses trying to play possession-based football wasn’t going to worry him.

While he has tinkered with the system a little, the basic principles remain — and he makes no apologies. “It didn’t work last season, so if I was going to take that approach (direct football) then what sort of message, what sort of respect am I giving the players?” he says. “Does that show I believe in them?

“I was clear from start the way I wanted to play. Was it going to take time? Absolutely. But I needed a starting point. To be honest the goals we have given away have not come from our style of play, they are the result of skeletons from last season. I was the wrong man if they thought I would adopt the ugly football philosophy.”

Again, the pundits will be sceptical when Okon suggests his side can still make the finals.

“Every player in our one-on-one chats told me they feel we can make the top six,” Okon said. “Halfway through the season we have 10 points and maybe 31-32 points will get you there.

“We are tracking for a better season than last season. We have two more points than we did this time last year and we are only four points off sixth. The high point for me was last week’s 2-2 draw with Melbourne City and the way we came back.

“If you would have said to me before the game that I could sign for a 2-2 draw and I’d be disappointed with the result, I would have taken it.”
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/3247955178b78580aa8374d753f9484d

dibo

The period from when the guys started preseason to R1 was 110 days (20th June to 8th October).

Okon only got 40 days with the side before that match. 110 days from his appointment was December 17.

Since our round 11 game December 18 we've:
  1. Lost 2-1 at home to Brisbane, but looked OK
  2. Lost 4-1 away to Victory, and looked dreadful
  3. Had a ridiculous 2-2 draw at home to City
  4. Lost 3-2 to Sydney at home thanks to an offside winner
  5. Had a lame 1-0 loss away to the bogey side, Wellington
  6. Got towelled up 2-1 away to a 12-man City side
  7. Beat Perth 2-0 at home
  8. Beat Adelaide 2-1 away
  9. Beat WSW 2-0 away
For R11-19, this is what the table would look like (with Victory and Newcastle to play tonight):
upload_2017-2-13_16-59-38.png

It's certainly not amazing, but it's a shitload better than last year, where we took 13pts from 27 games. But crucially, we're suddenly one of the form teams of the competition. I don't think anybody would be looking forward to playing us right now.

I think if Okon had been given a full pre-season and some freedom to shape his squad the performances would've been significantly better, sooner.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can get out of this squad in the end of this season, and then what the off-season brings.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Agree. And man, that passion at the end of the game and with Roy's second goal.....great to see that from any coach, CCM supporter or a neutral. Paulo is certainly winning over the hearts and minds of the fans.

Tevor

He is dislplaying character like Lowe who I love watching, he is clearly a driven individual and every loss hurts him just as much as us. Really hope he stays longer than this contract, sure the drive byes are watching him closely.

Big Al

Enjoyed watching Paulo on Foxsports on Aussies v Iraq coverage pre and post game.

Was very astute.

He said something about Mooy like having someone who can hit corners like that is invaluable. I laughed at thought well we certainly don't have that. Wonder if these are the sort of things he is looking for in players that can improve our squad

Wombat

Paulo had a bad game tonight.
Conceeded 3 pathetic goals and gutless 2nd half.
Slow to stem the bleeding.

Big Al

Paulo had a bad game tonight.
Conceeded 3 pathetic goals and gutless 2nd half.
Slow to stem the bleeding.
Seemed over it like the players.

Way to slow to go back three when 3-1 down and he put Bingham on wing and get the players to hit him go balls to him, it went over his head and out 3 or 4 times. Put him in the middle if going long ball.

Some nice play in the first half and thought we dominated without doing scoring damage.

Another game where only played good for 1 half, just it's usually the second half

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Fantastic impersonation of Walmsley last night v Barrels boss....keep up the good work

Wombat

After 5 loses on the trot and us defending like Tony is back..............its hard to get excited. The article rapping McGing and Pain shows that the author has not actually been watching much of our games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami