• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

Antlion

Yeah I think the club would aim to YL him as much as possible until he reaches a satisfactory level. Bolt should want that too rather than play in a league that makes him look bad.

I'm relieved by all of this. I think the Bolt experiment has been great and I've been behind it all the way. But nervous that if he gets a contract we're obliged to play him and after saturday I am VERY glad he wasn't on the field

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I’m torn between the marketing upside and the talent free zone and media circus of the whole thing
Part of me thinks that 150 k for a bloke with next to no natural talent is an insult to everyone who ever trialed with the team who have been playing every weekend since they were six OR Imagine the crowds the NYL will get
One thing I don’t hope is that MC bullies Mulvey into something that won’t benefit Bolt or the squad

Ozhammer

I’m torn between the marketing upside and the talent free zone and media circus of the whole thing
Part of me thinks that 150 k for a bloke with next to no natural talent is an insult to everyone who ever trialed with the team who have been playing every weekend since they were six OR Imagine the crowds the NYL will get
One thing I don’t hope is that MC bullies Mulvey into something that won’t benefit Bolt or the squad
With respect, you are missing the point imo Recky, like it or not, the $150k is more about the publicity than the talent he does or doesn’t bring to the table.

If he is genuinely serious about becoming a footballer, this might be his best chance to make it happen, so I for one hope he is humble and realistic enough to accept the offer the club has made and work his socks off to prove himself.

marinermick

With respect, you are missing the point imo Recky, like it or not, the $150k is more about the publicity than the talent he does or doesn’t bring to the table.

If he is genuinely serious about becoming a footballer, this might be his best chance to make it happen, so I for one hope he is humble and realistic enough to accept the offer the club has made and work his socks off to prove himself.

Have to agree with this. This will test out how genuine he is. Apparently this move to the Mariners was on the cards for six months before it happened. What was he doing in those six months to prepare for his football journey? Sweet FA from all reports.

As a side the Telegraph today is saying the contract is worth $100K.

adz

Staff member
Yeah interesting because fitness was the first major issue. He couldn't have worked on that for 6 months?
And some basic drills?

Kareem

That's what I was complaining about after his first trial game.

He could have employed an ex-football fitness coach to at least bring him up to the required fitness levels.

But it seems that he wanted a break after being so dedicated for the past 10-15 years.

He was certainly entitled to a break, but he should have realised that it could compromise his chances of achieving his dream.

Ancient Mariner

The thing that worries me is that after he scored those two goals he began to believe that he was worth a contract. He knew he still had a long way to go but I thought he saw himself as good enough to get some time off the bench and the long way he had to go was to be a starter.

I may be wrong but i definitely got the idea he thought he was further along the path than he truly was.

With continual work between now and January he may have been able to make the odd bench, but unless he takes up the offer we and he will never know. And let's face it the offer is amazingly generous if it takes into account his ability as a footballer.

Taking into account his ability to put bums on seats is another story, and would depend on what return we would be able to get and how quickly the novelty wears off.

It is up to the number crunchers to work out how much it is all worth from both his and our perspective.

At this stage I think the reported offer is more than fair and a good move by the Club.

Wombat

f**k all that shit.

East Gosford Thai Massage is offering $120 per hour for a couple this month.

I am happy to massage his Mrs for free and Usian can get a free massage also (not from me) for half a dozen good promo pics.

Now that is the Coast and the Bolt foundation working together!

shipwreck

I just remember in his interview with Peacock after that game he scored he kept using language like "my first proper game" as if implying it was only because the team around him wasn't good enough to allow him to play well.

I agree, it sounds like in his head he is alot further down track than he actually is.

turbo

Yeah interesting because fitness was the first major issue. He couldn't have worked on that for 6 months?
And some basic drills?

That's what surprised me the most. He looked like he was maybe a few weeks in to preseason for an all age team. The only way I can make any sense of it is showing off his 'journey'. Being able to say "look how far I've come since my first game, imagine where I could be in a few months". It also prolongs the interest a little as people can forgive or relate to being unfit and have another look once he fixes that.

Offsider

Now that the honeymoon is over I have to wonder how much the circus still has to offer. I don’t think there is much value in his contribution to the team if he doesn’t start ........... and I don’t think that is a reality. People are not wanting to be drawn to a game to only see a ten/fifteen minute cameo............. that would soon be dead in the water.

Dream is starting to turn into a nightmare I feel.:-|

Antlion

It's pretty simple really.

He's super rich.
If it's his dream to play football professionally then the money should have nothing to do with it. If it becomes a factor - the motivation is not right and that's that.
[Although I do get that in his position he knows the level of financial value he'd bring to a club/league and simply wants a cut.]

Coastalraider

Again I think there is a middle ground here that isn't being seen - I sincerely doubt that Bolt is holding off because he and his team believe he is worth more as a footballer. Team Bolt however are one of the most savvy management teams in sporting history, and they understand completely what that brand is worth. There is no way known to man that they would accept a minimum wage contract knowing full well that if Usain actually gets A-League game time, his presence would line a lot of other peoples pockets. I think the best outcome (presuming both parties actually want this to progress) is for a 2 month minimum wage contract to be signed to show faith in Bolt to continue to train, and give him NYL game time, and reassess during the January window. I feel like with team Bolt rumoured to have declined the current offer, it is that team trying to find an equitable agreement. They dont need the money, but if this is for example a 12 month contract, and he actually improves/or injuries force him getting game time later in the season, they will essentially be making big money for other parties, and thats not how major brands work.

I feel like the current offer is the Mariners showing some faith in the journey, rather than expect him to stay around indefinitely without a contract. But neither Fox nor CCM should be paying his expected wage if he is still not currently at a stage where either party can take advantage of Bolts marketing power.

And I dont know how contract can be generated with trigger clauses within a salary capped environment??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred