• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

Offsider

Bolt may not be ready ??? .............. but I did not see a lot of difference from Bolt’s contribution, efforts, etc to what Athiu put in for victory against city at the weekend.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: and ............. he could have contributed better heading skills (being taller) than simon meeting the clearances from kennedy.

It is on record in this forum that simon provided a lot of mongrel against brisbane ????. What was needed was a better footballer.

marinermick

I think it is a genius move offering him $150K. It will test his spin that he wants to be a professional footballer and that it is not about the money.

If he walks then the club saves face and he looks like he is chasing the dollars.

Tevor

I think it is a genius move offering him $150K. It will test his spin that he wants to be a professional footballer and that it is not about the money.

If he walks then the club saves face and he looks like he is chasing the dollars.
Maybe it is a low base with incentives if he makes the squad, there was still mention about the FFA also giving him a marketing role and since it isn't from the "Mark Key" fund can not be put into the contract we are offering him. I still think he will not go broke with what has been conjured up between CCM and FFA. Will probably be more marketing than game time I suspect.

I think MM wanted to focus on the game just played and not on Bolt. He is just managing expectations and if we have offered him a contract and he accepts poor MM is going to be continually asked about when he will make the squad not about the rest of the team. He has to be careful and I think it was smart to shut down the questions.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Tell ya what, the other coaches must be sick to death of being asked about Bolt, the Wanderers guy was having a pressie the other day and he got a Bolt question in the first volley...WTF does he have to say about someone not on his squad who he more than likely will never have to worry about tactically.....I’m waiting for some rugby loving f**ktard reporter to ask someone “ because of his amazing athletic history, should Bolt Captain the Mariners?” ..I’m sure it’s crossed some reporter brain

Insertnamehere

He has 900 from his trial offer, so another 150 takes it over a mill. If FFA throw something in it might get close to 2 mill all up. That's fairly substantial

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

What I find concerning is that MM seemed to pretty much say in post-match that he doesn't want Bolt (something along the lines of you wouldn't fit him into this front line).
So what on earth is going on?
Has he been offered a contract without MM's approval? Without his knowledge?
Or is the agent lying to drum up bids from somewhere else? And what's with the dirty tactic of 'revealing' this during out game? Sounds like the agent is actually trying to prevent CCM having attention and sacrificing that for Bolt. Is that his strategy? If so, I wonder how well MM, SM, and MC will respond to that or if that's the sort of thing that drives you to tell the agent to go f**k himself over the negotiating table - or have I been watching too much Entourage?

But there's a lot of weirdness, and no answers. And usually when a leak is real, the truth comes out pretty quickly. So I'm wondering if it is true.

pjennings

Does anyone know the details of the offer. I thought I saw a tweet last night from someone saying it was $150,000 to train with the reserve squad. I take that to mean the NYL team. I understand why that would be the case because he can train until the cows come home but match time is the thing that will seem him improve.

The first question is it a full contract or a contract to train and play with the NYL team

That raises a whole heap of other questions including
1) Does he play with the NYL squad to get game time, if not what is the point. If so, what does that mean for our NYL strikers.
2) Does he also train with the first squad like some of the NYL squad undoubtedly will.
3) Does MMM not want him at all as last night's presser
4) Does MMM still want to review things in January. (He will get no game time unless playing NYL between now and January).
5) What did MMM know and when did he know it. i.e. if it is to train and play with the NYL did he know that and just react like he did because it sounded like a full contract

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I suspect the question took MM by surprise and he was totally focussed on the Brisbane game, knew nothing and it came to him out of left field.
I also suspect he would be justified in giving someone a serve for not keeping him up to speed.

pjennings

Mulvey comfortable with Mariners' handling of Bolt contract offer
Vince Rugari
22 October 2018 — 8:00pm

Central Coast Mariners coach Mike Mulvey insists he is comfortable with the way the A-League club has handled the Usain Bolt experiment, revealing he had specifically asked not to be looped in on discussions with his management regarding a professional contract.

Mulvey was caught by surprise following Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Brisbane Roar when he was peppered with questions from journalists about a story published during the game reporting the Mariners had offered Bolt a deal.

Bolt's long-time agent Ricky Simms later confirmed that the Jamaican sprint legend had been offered a contract by the club, despite previous assurances that a call on his future wouldn't be made until at least January.

Happy campers: Mike Mulvey says he has no problems with how the Central Coast Mariners have deal with Usain Bolt.Credit:AAP

Mulvey's claim that he knew nothing about it was a bad look - particularly since the Mariners had also declared he would have the final say as to whether Bolt was deserving of an A-League deal. What had started as a textbook sugar-hit of publicity for Central Coast appeared in danger of turning very sour, very quickly.

But upon his arrival back in Gosford on Monday, Mulvey was brought up to speed and said he had no issues with the club going behind his back. He told Fairfax Media he had actually requested not to be included in negotiations with Bolt's management so he could concentrate on football.

“I asked the club to keep me at arm’s length from any discussions about or with Usain Bolt’s future to ensure it did not have any distractions on our preparations, which it did not," Mulvey told Fairfax Media. “I placed trust in the club that the negotiations would carry out to ensure the best interests of the Mariners were upheld, which they have been."

“I have been fully briefed and I am comfortable with where things are at. My full focus remains on winning football games which continues this Saturday at Central Coast Stadium. The club has stated that we are not in a position to make any official comment until there is an update, and neither will I, so let’s talk about the game on Saturday against Melbourne City and move forward."

The deal tabled for Bolt is believed to be worth around $150,000 - a long way short of the $3 million that had been previously floated by his management, although the club has still not offered any further details about it.

It's understood Football Federation Australia has committed up to $100,000 for a range of appearance fees as part of a marketing contract, with the money drawn out of their existing marketing budget - not their centralised marquee fund.

Sources suggest Bolt, 32, is unlikely to accept the deal and it's anticipated he will continue his football journey away from the A-League. The eight-time Olympic champion will have no shortage of suitors, having already demonstrated his huge commercial appeal. Last week, Bolt turned down a two-year contract from cashed-up Maltese outfit Valletta FC.

Mulvey made it clear enough on Sunday that he would probably have to look elsewhere for senior opportunities, saying Bolt would have a hard time unseating the likes of Ross McCormack, Tommy Oar, Connor Pain and Matt Simon for a spot in the team. Bolt had his first training session with the Mariners two months ago and while he has improved markedly during that time, he remains a long way from A-League standard and at long odds of ever reaching it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...g-of-bolt-contract-offer-20181022-p50b9f.html

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

following seems to be all rumours and hearsay, but anyhoo.....would seem to make sense.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...d/news-story/3556ed1a37f3d6857ea45d14d17523db

USAIN Bolt could be on his way out of the Mariners, with the sprinting legend having reportedly rejected a contract offer from the club.
Fox Sports’ Daniel Garb said he expected Bolt’s trial at Gosford to come to an end “pretty quickly”, with Bolt and the club set to part ways.

“It looks like the Usain Bolt trial is set to end pretty quickly. I think it’s run its race — pardon the pun,” Garb said on Fox Sports News on Monday night.

“The deal that’s been offered is set to be rejected, we understand, and that’s the latest news doing the rounds at the moment that Usain Bolt — it could be revealed overnight, probably tomorrow, it’s all set to end — his role at Gosford, and the Central Coast Mariners, and onwards the club moves and onwards Usain Bolt moves.

Round 2

1. 60001.png

(1 points, 3rd)

Coopers Stadium
    Oct 26 2018
    7:50PM
    60004.png

(0 points, 10th)Visit Match Centre

2. 60002.png

(1 points, 5th)

Central Coast Stadium
    Oct 27 2018
    5:35PM
    60220.png

(3 points, 1st)Visit Match Centre

3. 60007.png

(1 points, 7th)

Sydney Cricket Ground
    Oct 27 2018
    60239.png

(1 points, 8th)Visit Match Centre

4. 60006.png

(1 points, 4th)

Suncorp Stadium
    Oct 28 2018
    5:00PM
    60008.png

(3 points, 2nd)Visit Match Centre

5. 60003.png

(0 points, 9th)

AAMI Park
    Oct 28 2018
    7:00PM
    60005.png

(1 points, 6th)Visit Match Centre
“But it won’t be together, that’s the understanding.”

704017_640x360_large_20181022225650.jpg

Bolt set to leave Mariners

2:23
The speculation around Bolt’s future had kicked into overdrive, especially when A-League boss Greg O’Rourke said the Mariners had offered him a contract.

“I understand from Central Coast Mariners that they have tabled an offer to Usain Bolt’s management, which he is considering,” O’Rourke told SEN radio on Monday.

“That offer is much, much less than (the Bolt camp) were originally requesting.

“And that’s really reflected that if Usain wants to join the club and become a footballer he should follow a journey pretty similar to any trialist, not withstanding for a minute the amount of marketing that somebody like Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, can bring to the Central Coast and the broader A-League.”

41b5fe8fc5669423edc2aa89a59e99f8

Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt. (Photo by PETER PARKS / AFP)Source: AFP
Garb queried why the FFA had commented on Bolt’s future before the Mariners.

“It’s a bit messy, I mean I don’t know why the FFA’s commenting on an issue before the Mariners do, they’re not involved in this recruitment, so they should be staying out of this,” he said.

“So I think that was a bit of a slip-up by them.

“But I don’t think it’s going to matter too much overall because my understanding is Usain Bolt is set to leave the Central Coast, that he won’t be signing a deal and that will be the end of the trial.

“We’ll wait and see what transpires, maybe there’ll be a U-turn over the next few hours or so. But it wouldn’t surprise if over the next 24 to 48 hours, that is confirmed.”

Garb said it was clear Mariners coach Mike Mulvey didn’t want to sign Bolt, and that likely contributed to the sprinter’s reluctance to sign a contract.

d342c2c06befcf7f11daaff3dd3a8e92

Usain Bolt. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
“It’s weird. I guess from his perspective, the coach has made it pretty clear he doesn’t want him. Didn’t he?” Garb said.

“In an interview in Brisbane after that 1-1 draw with the Roar, it was pretty clear the coach said ‘it was great having you here, we’ve given you a chance, you’ve been great for the Mariners and for Australian football with what you’ve done but you’re not up to it and I’ve got to pick a squad and how can I leave out a proper footballer who can maybe win me a game over someone who’s unfortunately, there just to bring people through the gates.’

“He’s not up to that standard. It’s a very difficult sport to play if you haven’t played it your whole life. So no skin off his backend in that respect but that’s just the reality.

“So if the coach doesn’t want you, I don’t see how it can move forward.

“So even if a deal was offered, and I don’t understand why Usain Bolt wouldn’t accept it because finances shouldn’t come into it, but surely that’s just where it ends, if the coach doesn’t want you, and off you go.”

Garb said he wasn’t sure whether Bolt would land elsewhere — like Malta, where he reportedly received a contract offer — but he believed he would not stay at Gosford.

“I don’t know about that (Malta). I’m not sure where he goes from here on in,” he said.

“But it seems pretty clear that it won’t be with the Central Coast and yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if in the next 24 to 48 hours, that trial (ends).”

Insertnamehere

Mulvey comfortable with Mariners' handling of Bolt contract offer
Vince Rugari
22 October 2018 — 8:00pm

Central Coast Mariners coach Mike Mulvey insists he is comfortable with the way the A-League club has handled the Usain Bolt experiment, revealing he had specifically asked not to be looped in on discussions with his management regarding a professional contract.

Mulvey was caught by surprise following Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Brisbane Roar when he was peppered with questions from journalists about a story published during the game reporting the Mariners had offered Bolt a deal.

Bolt's long-time agent Ricky Simms later confirmed that the Jamaican sprint legend had been offered a contract by the club, despite previous assurances that a call on his future wouldn't be made until at least January.

Happy campers: Mike Mulvey says he has no problems with how the Central Coast Mariners have deal with Usain Bolt.Credit:AAP

Mulvey's claim that he knew nothing about it was a bad look - particularly since the Mariners had also declared he would have the final say as to whether Bolt was deserving of an A-League deal. What had started as a textbook sugar-hit of publicity for Central Coast appeared in danger of turning very sour, very quickly.

But upon his arrival back in Gosford on Monday, Mulvey was brought up to speed and said he had no issues with the club going behind his back. He told Fairfax Media he had actually requested not to be included in negotiations with Bolt's management so he could concentrate on football.

“I asked the club to keep me at arm’s length from any discussions about or with Usain Bolt’s future to ensure it did not have any distractions on our preparations, which it did not," Mulvey told Fairfax Media. “I placed trust in the club that the negotiations would carry out to ensure the best interests of the Mariners were upheld, which they have been."

“I have been fully briefed and I am comfortable with where things are at. My full focus remains on winning football games which continues this Saturday at Central Coast Stadium. The club has stated that we are not in a position to make any official comment until there is an update, and neither will I, so let’s talk about the game on Saturday against Melbourne City and move forward."

The deal tabled for Bolt is believed to be worth around $150,000 - a long way short of the $3 million that had been previously floated by his management, although the club has still not offered any further details about it.

It's understood Football Federation Australia has committed up to $100,000 for a range of appearance fees as part of a marketing contract, with the money drawn out of their existing marketing budget - not their centralised marquee fund.

Sources suggest Bolt, 32, is unlikely to accept the deal and it's anticipated he will continue his football journey away from the A-League. The eight-time Olympic champion will have no shortage of suitors, having already demonstrated his huge commercial appeal. Last week, Bolt turned down a two-year contract from cashed-up Maltese outfit Valletta FC.

Mulvey made it clear enough on Sunday that he would probably have to look elsewhere for senior opportunities, saying Bolt would have a hard time unseating the likes of Ross McCormack, Tommy Oar, Connor Pain and Matt Simon for a spot in the team. Bolt had his first training session with the Mariners two months ago and while he has improved markedly during that time, he remains a long way from A-League standard and at long odds of ever reaching it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...g-of-bolt-contract-offer-20181022-p50b9f.html
100k for media. t
We didn’t pay him 900k to trial
We didn't but it was sponsored

Insertnamehere

following seems to be all rumours and hearsay, but anyhoo.....would seem to make sense.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...d/news-story/3556ed1a37f3d6857ea45d14d17523db

USAIN Bolt could be on his way out of the Mariners, with the sprinting legend having reportedly rejected a contract offer from the club.
Fox Sports’ Daniel Garb said he expected Bolt’s trial at Gosford to come to an end “pretty quickly”, with Bolt and the club set to part ways.

“It looks like the Usain Bolt trial is set to end pretty quickly. I think it’s run its race — pardon the pun,” Garb said on Fox Sports News on Monday night.

“The deal that’s been offered is set to be rejected, we understand, and that’s the latest news doing the rounds at the moment that Usain Bolt — it could be revealed overnight, probably tomorrow, it’s all set to end — his role at Gosford, and the Central Coast Mariners, and onwards the club moves and onwards Usain Bolt moves.

Round 2

1. 60001.png

(1 points, 3rd)

Coopers Stadium
    Oct 26 2018
    60004.png

(0 points, 10th)Visit Match Centre

2. 60002.png

(1 points, 5th)

Central Coast Stadium
    Oct 27 2018
    5:35PM
    60220.png

(3 points, 1st)Visit Match Centre

3. 60007.png

(1 points, 7th)

Sydney Cricket Ground
    Oct 27 2018
    60239.png

(1 points, 8th)Visit Match Centre

4. 60006.png

(1 points, 4th)

Suncorp Stadium
    Oct 28 2018
    5:00PM
    60008.png

(3 points, 2nd)Visit Match Centre

5. 60003.png

(0 points, 9th)

AAMI Park
    Oct 28 2018
    7:00PM
    60005.png

(1 points, 6th)Visit Match Centre
“But it won’t be together, that’s the understanding.”

704017_640x360_large_20181022225650.jpg

Bolt set to leave Mariners

2:23
The speculation around Bolt’s future had kicked into overdrive, especially when A-League boss Greg O’Rourke said the Mariners had offered him a contract.

“I understand from Central Coast Mariners that they have tabled an offer to Usain Bolt’s management, which he is considering,” O’Rourke told SEN radio on Monday.

“That offer is much, much less than (the Bolt camp) were originally requesting.

“And that’s really reflected that if Usain wants to join the club and become a footballer he should follow a journey pretty similar to any trialist, not withstanding for a minute the amount of marketing that somebody like Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, can bring to the Central Coast and the broader A-League.”

41b5fe8fc5669423edc2aa89a59e99f8

Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt. (Photo by PETER PARKS / AFP)Source: AFP
Garb queried why the FFA had commented on Bolt’s future before the Mariners.

“It’s a bit messy, I mean I don’t know why the FFA’s commenting on an issue before the Mariners do, they’re not involved in this recruitment, so they should be staying out of this,” he said.

“So I think that was a bit of a slip-up by them.

“But I don’t think it’s going to matter too much overall because my understanding is Usain Bolt is set to leave the Central Coast, that he won’t be signing a deal and that will be the end of the trial.

“We’ll wait and see what transpires, maybe there’ll be a U-turn over the next few hours or so. But it wouldn’t surprise if over the next 24 to 48 hours, that is confirmed.”

Garb said it was clear Mariners coach Mike Mulvey didn’t want to sign Bolt, and that likely contributed to the sprinter’s reluctance to sign a contract.

d342c2c06befcf7f11daaff3dd3a8e92

Usain Bolt. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
“It’s weird. I guess from his perspective, the coach has made it pretty clear he doesn’t want him. Didn’t he?” Garb said.

“In an interview in Brisbane after that 1-1 draw with the Roar, it was pretty clear the coach said ‘it was great having you here, we’ve given you a chance, you’ve been great for the Mariners and for Australian football with what you’ve done but you’re not up to it and I’ve got to pick a squad and how can I leave out a proper footballer who can maybe win me a game over someone who’s unfortunately, there just to bring people through the gates.’

“He’s not up to that standard. It’s a very difficult sport to play if you haven’t played it your whole life. So no skin off his backend in that respect but that’s just the reality.

“So if the coach doesn’t want you, I don’t see how it can move forward.

“So even if a deal was offered, and I don’t understand why Usain Bolt wouldn’t accept it because finances shouldn’t come into it, but surely that’s just where it ends, if the coach doesn’t want you, and off you go.”

Garb said he wasn’t sure whether Bolt would land elsewhere — like Malta, where he reportedly received a contract offer — but he believed he would not stay at Gosford.

“I don’t know about that (Malta). I’m not sure where he goes from here on in,” he said.

“But it seems pretty clear that it won’t be with the Central Coast and yeah, it wouldn’t surprise me if in the next 24 to 48 hours, that trial (ends).”
So..... Turns out it's about the money eh.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

CCM's official statement
https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/...u002M5PmbC1Jla27koKXbe0DZPqOcjCsWllAMMe2dNugQ
The Central Coast Mariners and Usain Bolt’s representative Ricky Simms have progressed contract discussions and would like to offer clarity around the negotiations between the Club and Usain Bolt.

The Club can confirm that a contract proposal has been offered by the Central Coast Mariners and negotiations remain ongoing with Usain Bolt and his management regarding his football future.

Both parties are eager to explore all options and ensure that if there is a suitable way forward for both player and Club, the two parties will keep working together and formalise an agreement. The Central Coast Mariners want to ensure that Usain Bolt is given every chance possible to fulfill his dream to become a professional football player.

There are two main terms of discussion involved in this negotiation: football and commercial.

Regarding the football terms of the negotiations, Usain has made great progression during his time on the Central Coast and we feel that he will improve further with more individual intensive training and competitive game time. We are looking at ways to do this as the Club does not have the luxury to be able to do this in the Hyundai A-League.

Regarding the commercial terms of the negotiations, Usain Bolt’s management and the Central Coast Mariners are in conversations with external partners to find a commercial solution that suits all parties. It is important to note, that contract values speculated in the media are incorrect. Without the financial contribution of an external third-party, it is unlikely that Usain Bolt and the Central Coast Mariners will agree to terms.

To ensure that there is no distraction to the Hyundai A-League squad in preparing for this weekend’s match vs. Melbourne City; Usain Bolt will not attend team training this week, until and if, the Club and Usain Bolt can agree to terms and formalise an arrangement.

The Central Coast Mariners will make no further comment on this matter until there is an update on the situation, when media will be alerted in due cours

rbakersmith

Regarding the football terms of the negotiations, Usain has made great progression during his time on the Central Coast and we feel that he will improve further with more individual intensive training and competitive game time. We are looking at ways to do this as the Club does not have the luxury to be able to do this in the Hyundai A-League.

I'm very much encouraged by this statement from the club - Bolt cannot and must not be a distraction when we're trying to get into the top 6. Presumably it would mean playing in NYL and NPL2?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred