• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

Wombat

How could we forget one of the best, our very own Ellyse Perry! Played for Australia in both cricket and football.

Nova Peris kneebone or whatever her name was. Althete and then Hockey player. Hockey and Football share alot of attributes.

Offsider

Nova Peris kneebone or whatever her name was. Althete and then Hockey player. Hockey and Football share alot of attributes.

Well??? ........... they both use a round ball and goalposts ................ but I suppose there is a transition there ???

FFC Mariner

I am reliably informed that Bolt will not ever be a contracted CCM player.
The player we are chasing is far more exciting.

Wout Wout

Yes people have switched sports before...

But let's remember that football is one of THE most technical sports requiring a lifetime of dedication.
I just can't recall anyone switching to football as an adult.

It might have been possible 30+ years ago...
But football today is just too developed and sophisticated IMHO.

If anyone could do it...it's probably Bolt.
However that's the issue...I don't think anyone can do it.
But I hope he proves me wrong, and improves to the level of a pro footballer.

Wout Wout

One of my favourite sporting heroes of all time, Hazem El Masri, was a footballer originally, and didn't switch to rugby league until late teens I think?

The football background helped him with his legendary kicking, and he picked up the rest relatively quickly.

Rugby league is not anywhere near as difficult as football in terms of technical ability and tactics.

yellowcake

I am reliably informed that Bolt will not ever be a contracted CCM player.
The player we are chasing is far more exciting.
I too would be well excited if there's a successful and skilled footballer heading our way who will massively improve our on-field performance and fortunes.
However, separately, if there are decisions which have already been made that can filter reliably down to your good self, I hope that Bolt was the first person to be advised of this. Especially as that is at odds with his post-match on Friday and the outline of the "project" from both sides when he first arrived.

yellowcake

I think the detractors (again, the most extreme typically coming from Australian media and other clubs "purist" fans) have not seen the game in its true context. (Although a guy behind us on Friday night carried on incessantly about Bolt not being on the field and when he came on that he wasn't the best footballer on the park - I mean, do some research and get with the program).

I too was surprised and disappointed by has apparent level of fitness but given that he'd only had 10 days with the squad there was no reason to have high football expectations. It was a night about his introduction to the local fans, not a merit trial (that was just Foxtel's angle). Ten thousand people (despite the cost), the festival atmosphere, Bolt showing his appreciation of that in his post-match and full sideline walk-around for anybody who wanted to see him made it a uniquely special night, no matter what happens from here.

The time for good football is still to come, with or without him. And I'm still not ruling out "with".

Offsider

Mc was quoted in today’s telegraph (woof) ........... he expects to access the 900000 still in the ffa marquee fund when bolt is contracted for 3 million. He said the investment should make us a big club in the a-league etc etc blah blah blah ....... the club needed to think outside the square wtf.

It’s going to be a long season :(:(:(:doh:

Timmah

I’d really like to see those figures compared to last seasons league matches.
It drew 51k on Fox 505, up against two final-round NRL matches (264k and 212k) and the AFL exhibition game featuring old dudes (98k).

Most of our games in the back half of last season from memory drew in sub-40k viewers if I'm not mistaken.

Timmah

Wonder how many people were talking about that game prior to kick-off vs the Bolt game?
Also wonder how many newsreels around the world that the AFL game made?
That's the thing to consider. The telecast on Foxtel would've had comparitavely little promotion. It's a trial game, the NRL matches it was up against which commanded the primary share that night were final round clashes which both had direct bearing on finals positions.

Then as you say, add in the news coverage it got all over the place (even ABC Offsiders were talking about it on Sunday morning) and the social metrics were ridiculously huge:

upload_2018-9-4_11-21-59.png

Reactions: adz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred