• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

Offsider

What were people expecting from Bolt, after less than a Month with the Mariners he would be up to A-League standard?
As has been said often, this isn't a short term project.

“Age” ............ there is a reason that players don’t kick on after thirty. Most plateau and manage to hold their level but have to work harder than when they were 25 or so, eventually slipping down a few grades or leagues (as per all current visa players and marquees). Bolt held his dream (remember the dream was to play for manu when he was at the top of his ability) but retired from athletics and partied hard for a couple of years, by his own admission. Then to have to get back into it, and at a much higher level physically than his athletics required, he is finding it hard. He looked slow, his reactions were inexperienced and slow, he was his age.
He WAS an exceptional athlete, he is obviously an exceptionally gifted human being and very amiable.

The path ahead of him is unenviable. He not only has to learn what to do, he has to recognise when to do it and chose the right option in a split second. If it was easy everybody would be an international socceroo.:popcorn:

Blackadder

“Age” ............ there is a reason that players don’t kick on after thirty. Most plateau and manage to hold their level but have to work harder than when they were 25 or so, eventually slipping down a few grades or leagues (as per all current visa players and marquees). Bolt held his dream (remember the dream was to play for manu when he was at the top of his ability) but retired from athletics and partied hard for a couple of years, by his own admission. Then to have to get back into it, and at a much higher level than his athletics, he is finding it hard. He looked slow, his reactions were inexperienced and slow, he was his age.
He WAS an exceptional athlete, he is obviously an exceptionally gifted human being and very amiable.

The path ahead of him is unenviable. He not only has to learn what to do, he has to recognise when to do it and chose the right option in a split second. If it was easy everybody would be an international socceroo.:popcorn:

Not too many are Olympic Champions, the greats don't lose that determination and drive to be the best in whatever field they choose.

Reactions: adz

Offsider

Not too many are Olympic Champions, the greats don't lose that determination and drive to be the best in whatever field they choose.

Can you name about three olympic champions that chose another professional sport to go on and be successful. If what you say is true about they can choose whatever field they want ???? .......... why are they retired. /??

Blackadder

Can you name about three olympic champions that chose another professional sport to go on and be successful. If what you say is true about they can choose whatever field they want ???? .......... why are they retired. /??

Ester Ledecka (Czech republic)Alpine Skiing/Snowboarding.
Lauryn Williams (US) Athletics/Bobsleigh
Rebecca Romero (GB) Cycling/Rowing.

Only person that knows what the body is capable of is themselves.

greenlig

Cadel Evans? Mountain Bike/Road cycling. Not an olympic champion, but crazy good.

Last edited:

pjennings

I would have loved to have seen Ken Wark play football at a high level. I played with him as a junior and he was as good a LB/CB that I have seen at that age to this day. While he wasn't an Olympic champion, he won a silver and gold medal from three Olympics in filed hockey as well as winning the Champions Trophy a number of times

Coastalraider

Cameron Wurf went from World Champion rower, to riding in cycling grand tours. Next month he lines up for his second Ironman World Championship - were he broke the Bike course record in his first attempt.

That’s the top of 3 different sports.

Coastalraider

Michael Jordan to baseball.

Jana Pittman from athletics to bobsleigh.

Rebecca Romero won silver in rowing in Athens, then gold in track cycling in Beijing.

Mundine and Sonny Bill Williams for rugby/league to boxing.

There are plenty of examples of athletes changing sports and becoming competitive if you take off the blinkers.

Offsider

Ester Ledecka (Czech republic)Alpine Skiing/Snowboarding.
Lauryn Williams (US) Athletics/Bobsleigh
Rebecca Romero (GB) Cycling/Rowing.

Only person that knows what the body is capable of is themselves.

Yes ............ that’s what I got as well. Notice that they are all olympic individual sports swapping to nearly like olympic sports ......... not to a completely different physical team sport. I agree that they are the only ones that know their body blah blah blah .......... and that’s why they don’t swap but retire.

Offsider

Cameron Wurf went from World Champion rower, to riding in cycling grand tours. Next month he lines up for his second Ironman World Championship - were he broke the Bike course record in his first attempt.

That’s the top of 3 different sports.

Individual sport is the common denominator. If he put his mind to it he could probably do canoing, kayaking, marathon running, marathon swimming blah blah blah.
That makes seven different/similar sports ......... but non are team orientated or different skills like having to use his feet.
I see my unicorn is nodding his head here .......... it was “ wurf “ making that point.:cheers:

Last edited:

Offsider

Michael Jordan to baseball.

Jana Pittman from athletics to bobsleigh.

Rebecca Romero won silver in rowing in Athens, then gold in track cycling in Beijing.

Mundine and Sonny Bill Williams for rugby/league to boxing.

There are plenty of examples of athletes changing sports and becoming competitive if you take off the blinkers.

Michael Jordan was a baseballer all his life and chose basketball. I knew an olympic basketballer who was wanted by senior teams in football, rugby, cricket and athletics. I played golf with him one day, he was right handed I am left handed. He was leading by twelve strokes on the front nine. For the back nine he left his clubs at the clubhouse and used my left handed clubs. He wasn’t that smart he only added nine to his lead.
There are people that can swap to different sports but they all started or picked up their skills as juniors. The others mentioned here are basically individuals changinging their individual skills to another individual activity that used same oor similar.
Blinkers ............. coastal raider ??? .......... I think not, not on me anyway.:doh:

Coastalraider

Michael Jordan was a baseballer all his life and chose basketball. I knew an olympic basketballer who was wanted by senior teams in football, rugby, cricket and athletics. I played golf with him one day, he was right handed I am left handed. He was leading by twelve strokes on the front nine. For the back nine he left his clubs at the clubhouse and used my left handed clubs. He wasn’t that smart he only added nine to his lead.
There are people that can swap to different sports but they all started or picked up their skills as juniors. The others mentioned here are basically individuals changinging their individual skills to another individual activity that used same oor similar.
Blinkers ............. coastal raider ??? .......... I think not, not on me anyway.:doh:

Except Bolt played both cricket and football as a junior...

marinermick

What were people expecting from Bolt, after less than a Month with the Mariners he would be up to A-League standard?
As has been said often, this isn't a short term project.

Long term project aside, I was expecting more from a player coming off the bench playing against park footballers.

style_cafe

You didn`t put the scores in so might just mean you`re not that good at golf....:popcorn:
Just saying...

Offsider

You didn`t put the scores in so might just mean you`re not that good at golf....:popcorn:
Just saying...

You just reminded me that on the course we had to play preferred lies ............ the score was not indicative or necessary to make my point:wub: ......... but the guy was a freak......... handicap was four last I heard. Te only thing he couldn’t do was swim .......... he never made a swim team from memory. Don’t tell the others on here as he doesn’t support my theory of not being able to switch sportso_O

Offsider

How could we forget one of the best, our very own Ellyse Perry! Played for Australia in both cricket and football.

Yes ........ and like my multi sport talented acquaintence ........ didn’t swap but played similtaneously. There is a big difference to what mr bolt is trying to do .
I trust that my keyboard warrioring isn’t giving the wrong impression. Like everybody else I am in awe of mr bolt’s achievements .......... just that I don’t share his dreams.:D

style_cafe

You just reminded me that on the course we had to play preferred lies ............ the score was not indicative or necessary to make my point:wub: ......... but the guy was a freak......... handicap was four last I heard. Te only thing he couldn’t do was swim .......... he never made a swim team from memory. Don’t tell the others on here as he doesn’t support my theory of not being able to switch sportso_O
He probably didn`t hit too many balls into the water then...:popcorn:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred