• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

FFC Mariner

:headbutt:

Winning games gets bums on seats. How many theatre goers will come back to watch a 2nd helping of Bolt isolated on the wing and not getting the ball while our NPL all stars get another thrashing? None.
Honda would win us games on his own.

shipwreck

Typical short sighted Bandaid solution. Last time we had a marquee that was genuinely the envy of the league was Aloisi.

MrCelery

From The World Game website:

"Meanwhile, Central Coast's proposed six-week trial for Usain Bolt is still a possibility - although if it happens and the Jamaican sprint star proves worthy of a contract, FFA is more likely to contribute money from their marketing budget rather than the marquee fund itself."

Stands to reason. Marquee Fund is for Sydney and Melbourne only isn't it? :fireup:

Offsider

I think the ONLY marquee that could be put into this squad that MAY pay for himself is Bolt.

Honda may be an excellent footballer, and potentially be the most talented marquee in A league history (at the time), but outside of the footballing community, no-one knows who he is. Bolt transcends that, and the 'general public' have a lot more bums to put on seats than the hardcore football fans.

Sad, but true.

It depends on whether you want to go and watch a person perform his skills as part of a well drilled football team ............... or go to a circus for the clowns. Most people only go to the circus once.:-|

Coastalraider

Winning games gets bums on seats. How many theatre goers will come back to watch a 2nd helping of Bolt isolated on the wing and not getting the ball while our NPL all stars get another thrashing? None.
Honda would win us games on his own.

But AGAIN, we will NOT spend the money to field a squad that is capable of winning the comp while the league is set up with so little return for the owners. MC has repeatedly stated that we will not spend. So let’s get over that fact.

Let’s touch on the fact that the FFA or Fox would not invest in putting a Honda style marquee in this team, because we have such a comparatively small population base and viewership that it would be a significantly better investment to put that marquee in litterally any other team in the comp.

Let’s also mention that we have NOT invested in a genuinely competitive squad since MC has come on board, firstly due to having to save our bacon from receivership, now because our revenues don’t allow it.

So - do we just wallow in our NPL based mire, or do we take a gamble on someone who WILL bring crowds and increase gatetakings ( and remember, the sponsors and Fox are only willing to chip in because it is a global superstar). Do we increase our opportunities to play more games on free to air based on this players mass appeal, therefore becoming more attractive to sponsors and investors. Do we increase the amount of away supporters attending games, therefore bringing more revenue to food and bev, and potential merchandising streams? Do we massively increase our digital and social media reach based on this players global recognition? Do we potentially open doors to brand partnerships with Puma etc due to his ongoing deals?

Bolt WILL be a sugar hit. But that sugar hit may lead to a lot of positives, and realistically he is our only hope of a marquee. But his inclusion may have enough of a sugar hit to break the cycle.

Let’s put it this way - last season we were told we would likely get a marquee in January, only for Shaun to explain we no longer could due to game day revenue being well under what was budgeted due to poor crowds. Do you think Bolt may fix this problem? If it leads to a mid season marquee signing - one of genuine footballing quality, would you take it then???

Offsider

But AGAIN, we will NOT spend the money to field a squad that is capable of winning the comp while the league is set up with so little return for the owners. MC has repeatedly stated that we will not spend. So let’s get over that fact.

Let’s touch on the fact that the FFA or Fox would not invest in putting a Honda style marquee in this team, because we have such a comparatively small population base and viewership that it would be a significantly better investment to put that marquee in litterally any other team in the comp.

Let’s also mention that we have NOT invested in a genuinely competitive squad since MC has come on board, firstly due to having to save our bacon from receivership, now because our revenues don’t allow it.

So - do we just wallow in our NPL based mire, or do we take a gamble on someone who WILL bring crowds and increase gatetakings ( and remember, the sponsors and Fox are only willing to chip in because it is a global superstar). Do we increase our opportunities to play more games on free to air based on this players mass appeal, therefore becoming more attractive to sponsors and investors. Do we increase the amount of away supporters attending games, therefore bringing more revenue to food and bev, and potential merchandising streams? Do we massively increase our digital and social media reach based on this players global recognition? Do we potentially open doors to brand partnerships with Puma etc due to his ongoing deals?

Bolt WILL be a sugar hit. But that sugar hit may lead to a lot of positives, and realistically he is our only hope of a marquee. But his inclusion may have enough of a sugar hit to break the cycle.

Let’s put it this way - last season we were told we would likely get a marquee in January, only for Shaun to explain we no longer could due to game day revenue being well under what was budgeted due to poor crowds. Do you think Bolt may fix this problem? If it leads to a mid season marquee signing - one of genuine footballing quality, would you take it then???

Nice rant !!! .............. total bullshit ............... you answered your own ulteria motive for a circus in your last paragrah : “for Shaun to explain we no longer could due to game day revenue being well under what was budgeted due to poor crowds.”
You see ......... how can I put this so as to get the message to you ........... ccm is a football team. Support has dwindled due to bad management resulting in poor results and two wooden spoons. The poor game day revenue referred to was due to the pending second spoon results. Bringing in the circus will not result in better revenue unless the results turn around and the team is competitive.

What will attract sponsors and investors is a successful product to attach their name to.:doh: You can open as many doors as you like with bolt but there will be nobody there if the team ......... the football team in the football competition is not competitive and winning.
Mc has brought this situation down on himself. He has said he will not spend ???? ........... it is his team, his licence .......... what does he think he will achieve by that statement ???? ............ naughty supporters for not being stupid and spending cash on going to watch the team lose and make us feel like shit.
Your last question is an insult to supporters intelligence and how out of touch you are.:yellowcard: Mc won’t spend. Bolt marquee is to regain dollars through sponsorship. Buying a real marquee to play football ???? ............. :redcard:

Shit!!!:-| .......... that cask didn’t long ???

Oh !!! ......... one more thing before I go .............. nine other owners don’t support your claim .......... obviously .......... yes they want to change it ......... but they are all spending big money. Go figure ????

Coastalraider

1. Our owner is not like the other 9.

2. He will not spend on a competitive squad.

3. I dont have to like it, or agree with it to understand it.

I really really wish we could spend on a competitive squad. That will not only benefit me as a fan, but the team and the club due to a sustainable base to build success on. My preference is exactly like yours - spend the money, buy the squad, build success and the crowds and sponsors will follow - but:

See points 1,2 and 3.

Forum Phoenix

Nice rant !!! .............. total bullshit ............... you answered your own ulteria motive for a circus in your last paragrah : “for Shaun to explain we no longer could due to game day revenue being well under what was budgeted due to poor crowds.”
You see ......... how can I put this so as to get the message to you ........... ccm is a football team. Support has dwindled due to bad management resulting in poor results and two wooden spoons. The poor game day revenue referred to was due to the pending second spoon results. Bringing in the circus will not result in better revenue unless the results turn around and the team is competitive.

What will attract sponsors and investors is a successful product to attach their name to.:doh: You can open as many doors as you like with bolt but there will be nobody there if the team ......... the football team in the football competition is not competitive and winning.
Mc has brought this situation down on himself. He has said he will not spend ???? ........... it is his team, his licence .......... what does he think he will achieve by that statement ???? ............ naughty supporters for not being stupid and spending cash on going to watch the team lose and make us feel like shit.
Your last question is an insult to supporters intelligence and how out of touch you are.:yellowcard: Mc won’t spend. Bolt marquee is to regain dollars through sponsorship. Buying a real marquee to play football ???? ............. :redcard:

Shit!!!:-| .......... that cask didn’t long ???

Oh !!! ......... one more thing before I go .............. nine other owners don’t support your claim .......... obviously .......... yes they want to change it ......... but they are all spending big money. Go figure ????

Not correct. We struggled for crowds under Arnie when winning the league and received no end of shit about it.

We all want a good football team. Coastal made very solid points regarding Bolts potential value. There’s simply no need for a division on this based off football Puritanism. Will only hurt us long term.

If he’s not good enough. He should not be signed. 100%. End of. But if he is. Which I do think is unlikely, but if he is, which we ARE doing due diligence on, there is clearly and obviously a very significant potential upside.

Just as there is a downside if we sign him and he proves a flop that we will be laughed at. Both possibilities. A trial is the best way to know. Those yanks would just sign him immediately, but we clearly care that it’s a true fit.

But right now no one knows jack. Who was it who said “I don’t believe in predictions. Especially when they’re about the future” ... good line... Unless you care to lend me that crystal ball you obviously have strapped to your unicorn Offy.

On a positive note. Proud of being a champion of NPL players and young Australian talent at least.

turbo

I really really wish we could spend on a competitive squad. That will not only benefit me as a fan, but the team and the club due to a sustainable base to build success on

Right now I’d take 7th after falling just short of making the 6. There’s got to be some sort of medium between spending big and expecting to win the comp and the bare minimum and fighting for the spoon every year. I don’t see how running us that way does anything for his investment. What’s the end game? Run us in to the ground in a slow death? Hope to make us unsustainable and relocate? Surely a club with better membership numbers and attendance fetches a better price if the plan is to sell at some point?

Forum Phoenix

I do have a small flicker if hope yet for the season
But odds really do lean grim
Yeah I think that’s pretty understandable. There’s no arguing we’re weak on paper and Mike will truly have to prove his ability.

But personally think there’s a lot more to like about this squad than most seem to. I still rate Matty S and weemac. Tom is high quality, Clisby is solid to better, Golec has proven himself, Cisse should have the requisite skill, pain and hoole are better than most give credit, Gameiro has quality if we can just keep him on the park for six consecutive months, and there’s now a bunch of properly trialled youngsters that could turn into anything.

Couple more quality visa signings and If the attitude is there so that we truly come together as team then we could still prove a solid side, and with a couple of break out players even more.

I’d happily take that for now. But with no more quality visa signings and only 2 more NPL players. we just won’t have the depth and quality we will consistently need.

Last edited:

Offsider

Not correct. We struggled for crowds under Arnie when winning the league and received no end of shit about it.

We all want a good football team. Coastal made very solid points regarding Bolts potential value. There’s simply no need for a division on this based off football Puritanism. Will only hurt us long term.

If he’s not good enough. He should not be signed. 100%. End of. But if he is. Which I do think is unlikely, but if he is, which we ARE doing due diligence on, there is clearly and obviously a very significant potential upside.

Just as there is a downside if we sign him and he proves a flop that we will be laughed at. Both possibilities. A trial is the best way to know. Those yanks would just sign him immediately, but we clearly care that it’s a true fit.

But right now no one knows jack. Who was it who said “I don’t believe in predictions. Especially when they’re about the future” ... good line... Unless you care to lend me that crystal ball you obviously have strapped to your unicorn Offy.

On a positive note. Proud of being a champion of NPL players and young Australian talent at least.

:doh: See !!! ............. forum pheonix ........... you don’t know anything.
That’s not a crystal ball. No !!! ............. it’s my “assumption generator” :vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:........... only available on the SE unicorn (special edition so as you don’t get any ideas ) comes with a compass (aldi shop finder) and a pair of cask coolers.

I appreciate your “champion” sentiments and note your pride, but find them misplaced in the context of assembling an a-league squad. All squads have their quota of young talent added to a strong competitive squad for them to learn from .............. ccm is all young with not enough quality to protect them from being destroyed. Mm may be a good coach ( his record so far is 0-1 ....... no goals for (not even a shot on goal) three against) but he is no magician. Left the crystal ball in the box for that one.

Wrong ???? .......... you say wrong ?????
I have tried but I cannot relate ga’s declining attendance many years ago to the spoon bailout last season ???. Initially the demograhics were favourable for a licence in this area blame ffa. There is no doubt in my mind that the coe dream has ruined the cashflow of all that have tried to harness the dream ........ but mc is just diabolical.
And to complete your questions and statements ............ somebody knows jack they are just not sayin’...........and the origin of your “good line” was obviously a comedian .
Cheers .... till next time ..........always a pleasure fp

pjennings

Usain Bolt to train with Central Coast Mariners
The Central Coast Mariners can today confirm that Usain Bolt has committed to an indefinite training period with the Club, with the aim to develop the ‘world’s fastest man’ into a professional footballer.

The agreement between the Central Coast Mariners and Usain Bolt does not guarantee a professional playing contract but does provide the eight-time Olympic gold medallist with an opportunity to achieve his burning desire to play football professionally.

webembed1.jpg

Bolt, who has trained with the likes of Borussia Dortmund (Germany), Mamelodi Sundowns FC (South Africa) and Strømsgodset (Norway) is scheduled to link up with the Central Coast Mariners for the first time later this month.

Bolt is thrilled to be continuing his journey to become a professional footballer with the Central Coast Mariners.

“I am very excited about coming to Australia and would like to thank the owner and management of the Central Coast Mariners for giving me this opportunity,” Bolt said. “It has been my dream to play professional football and I know that it will involve a lot of hard work and training to get to the level required to play and make an impact in the A-League.

“When I spoke to the Head Coach Mike Mulvey on the phone he outlined the ambitions of the club and his plans for the upcoming season. I hope I can make a positive contribution to the club and look forward to meeting the other players, staff and fans in the coming weeks.

“I always say that ‘anything is possible, don't think limits’ and I look forward to the challenge,” Bolt said.

webembed2_0.jpg

Central Coast Mariners CEO, Shaun Mielekamp welcomed the immense opportunity that presents itself by having one of the greatest athletes of all time here on the Central Coast.

“Our goal is to be the most innovative, entertaining and community minded sports brand in Australia, this is our competitive edge,” Mielekamp said. “Having Usain Bolt come to the club to train and hopefully develop into a professional football player is perfectly aligned to this part of the club’s philosophy.

“It is important that we don’t get too caught up in the hype of possibilities, but the reality is that Usain Bolt has placed his faith in the Central Coast Mariners to accelerate his football journey. Whilst we all know this must be tempered with the reality that there is a job to do and hard work ahead, we are committed to building a team that will win matches and instil belief, hopefully Usain can help us on this mission.

“We welcome Usain with open arms, and we will always remain grounded and focussed on the job at hand. I also look forward to seeing the Central Coast catching the attention of sports lovers all over the world. Sports lovers who will join us and dare to dream, sports lovers who truly believe that only those who are brave enough to try and do the impossible are capable of achieving anything,” Mielekamp said.

To follow the football journey of Usain Bolt, follow the Central Coast Mariners on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter.

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/usain-bolt-train-central-coast-mariners

NoDiggity

Hope the club is vocal about the first training and opens it up to the public.. will be huge & great exposure for the club

Big Al

So preseason games seems to be the way we will cash in.

Daily Telegraph has mentioned a little bit about that being an option being explored.

Get to play him without giving him a contract.

Interesting timing during FFA Cup which we continue to disrespect

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred