• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Reign of Mike Mulvey

Insertnamehere

From what I am hearing training with Monty and MMM for the past week has been light years from what went before for the past 2 seasons, with players actually getting some meaningful instruction as to what they are doing wrong. Whod’ve thought?
Too late to test if it's been valuable tho.

bikinigirl

For me anything less than top six is not a psss mark and never should be in a ten or even a twelve team comp. still only equals a 50% mark with 12 teams. So finishing sixth is only scraping a bare pass imo. I want to do better. And we should absolutely be aiming to.

I think Mulvey will be aiming to win the league. Which is EXACTLY what any coach should be doing. You dream it, make a plan to achieve it, and then work your guts out trying to successfully execute it. And then see where you land. Want to reach the moon. Aim for the stars.

This whole finish inside the six in a ten team comp or play entertaining or quality style of football has been more than half our problem. It shows a lack of ambition on and off the field. We used to win ugly and often. Everyone hated it, and us, and it was great.

We don’t have money, ok, so we can’t be short on mongrel and ambition as well or we’re screwed before we even kick a ball. And this is not the EPL. Yeah we need some quality, but the monetary gaps between top and bottoms sides are nowhere near as extreme.

Mariners used to ALWAYS believe they can win. And so they bloody should. They can. We’ve always been the little team with players no one rated right from the get go, But we proved everyone wrong. Again. And again and again. That’s a big part of the spirit that needs to be back also, Mongrel fight to the death, f**k the rich show ponies style BELIEF.

. FP i am happy to have you on board to help motivate the team (refer also your man management posts)

Want to reach the moon. Aim for the stars.

... but i don't want you anywhere near our new strikers ;) :p

Forum Phoenix

Worked for Kwasildinho.

I remember saying, “look Adam my boy, every time you aim at the net, you seem to put it in row Z. So MAYBE if you start aiming at row Z...”

Rest was history :innocent:

Wombat

I wonder what system Triple M favours?

Interestingly Australia's highly questionable 3 at the back is only favoured by 2 teams in the EPL. Chelsea, who are looking at a 5th place finish which is disastrous for them and West Ham who are battling relegation.
Sully' s park the bus 541 is only used by 2 teams and both will probably be relegated.

433 is the most successful formation. All the top 3 play it and Everton in 8th are the lowest placed side using that formation.
442 is back in fashion with 6 teams lining up old style and only Stoke look like being relegated. 7th through to 14th...5 teams play 442 so it's a highly effective system.

Spurs use an isolated striker in a 4231 but its Harry Kane and they have threats all over the park. They currently sit 4th. Th

Leicester are the highest placed side playing 4411 in 9th and last placed WBA also play 4411.

So it appears that 4231 and 451 are no longer in favour at least in the EPL and don't forget Liverpool just demolished Roma 5.2 in the Champions League.

Ozhammer

IMO Smart coaching is more about finding a formation that best suits your player’s skill set than following some fashion/curriculum or dogmatic philosophy.

Last edited:

Coastalraider

Absolutely OZ.

And while I may not know the intricacies of football like some on here, I have never got my head around aiming to play 'attractive' football. I want to play 'effective' football. I would quite happily watch my team park the bus and play on the break, if it meant we won more games and made finals. We played 'attractive' football last season, and it got us nowhere. The Soccoroo's very nearly missed the WC off the back of 'attractive' football.

Sure - if you have the right squad play some attacking football, but it should be a secondary consideration after actually winning games.

nebakke

I think there's value in talking formations when we have at least half a team to build but...
I think there's also a clear danger in focusing too much on the tactical approach before facing realities...

Much as it pains my Danish heart, to quote Von Moltke the Elder (or the younger for that matter), "No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - it's been pretty obvious this season. And I think it's been pretty obvious on a whole, that there's been an over-focus on tactics and style across the league for the last couple of years... Think back 4-5 years around the time when we and Brisbane were winning... Every discussion with a commentator, was about playing out from the back at all times and looking like Barca, that was what every team should be trying to do.
Now, the discussion is how/why everyone is playing out from the back in spite of being pressured, etc...

Somewhere in all of that, we need to be practical and work out what we can do with the cattle we can afford and who wants to play for us.

Insertnamehere

Absolutely OZ.

And while I may not know the intricacies of football like some on here, I have never got my head around aiming to play 'attractive' football. I want to play 'effective' football. I would quite happily watch my team park the bus and play on the break, if it meant we won more games and made finals. We played 'attractive' football last season, and it got us nowhere. The Soccoroo's very nearly missed the WC off the back of 'attractive' football.

Sure - if you have the right squad play some attacking football, but it should be a secondary consideration after actually winning games.
It wasn't all that attractive.

Insertnamehere

IMO Smart coaching is more about finding a formation that best suits your player’s skill set than following some fashion/curriculum or dogmatic philosophy.
I'm not so fussed on the formation. Whatever suits the positional nature of the squad.
I like total football. Everyone can hold a position when needed.
I want to see forward half pressing. And quick counters.

Big Al

I think there's value in talking formations when we have at least half a team to build but...
I think there's also a clear danger in focusing too much on the tactical approach before facing realities...

Much as it pains my Danish heart, to quote Von Moltke the Elder (or the younger for that matter), "No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - it's been pretty obvious this season. And I think it's been pretty obvious on a whole, that there's been an over-focus on tactics and style across the league for the last couple of years... Think back 4-5 years around the time when we and Brisbane were winning... Every discussion with a commentator, was about playing out from the back at all times and looking like Barca, that was what every team should be trying to do.
Now, the discussion is how/why everyone is playing out from the back in spite of being pressured, etc...

Somewhere in all of that, we need to be practical and work out what we can do with the cattle we can afford and who wants to play for us.
For every tactical advancement there is a counter by the opposition coaches. Nothing stays hip for to long. You must advance again. You must also be able to be flexible against different opponents as each system has strengths and weaknesses.

We should train for all possibilities.

E.g. McGing is good in a BVM setup of keeping your R and L back at home for a solid back 4 but is terrible as Wing back, while Roux was the opposite. So depending on circumstances we should know whether to play McGing or someone else. All variables related to ladder opposition score etc. should dictate what is required. This needs to run through the whole field. I don’t care if they need to spend the whole 25mins a week on it. Just do it.

Forum Phoenix

For every tactical advancement there is a counter by the opposition coaches. Nothing stays hip for to long. You must advance again. You must also be able to be flexible against different opponents as each system has strengths and weaknesses.

We should train for all possibilities.

E.g. McGing is good in a BVM setup of keeping your R and L back at home for a solid back 4 but is terrible as Wing back, while Roux was the opposite. So depending on circumstances we should know whether to play McGing or someone else. All variables related to ladder opposition score etc. should dictate what is required. This needs to run through the whole field. I don’t care if they need to spend the whole 25mins a week on it. Just do it.
Great post.

style_cafe

From what I am hearing training with Monty and MMM for the past week has been light years from what went before for the past 2 seasons, with players actually getting some meaningful instruction as to what they are doing wrong. Whod’ve thought?
I think having Monty as the assistant coach would be a very smart move by Magic Mike.
With Monty on board it builds the bridge with the older players.
He would command respect from the younger & new players.
Hi is an absolute role model for everything Football & would also show the fans that we are back in business.

Offsider

Absolutely OZ.

The perception of what suitable formation really starts with the cattle available and the coaches decision doesn’t it. My attraction to football is watching the game evolve on game day between the coaches and their past results.

Anybody care to make a list of the current retained squad and what formation each one would suit ???
Eg:
Player 442. 443. 541. Etc

Bloggs. X. - X

Being bloggs wouldfit in 442 and 541

Josho Howe

Had a good chat with Josh Rose last night and he said he thinks DDS will go and that Trent to Sydney will happen. Also l asked how he knew it was the right time he said that he enjoyed coaching more than playing now and that's how he knew it was time to step away. Thanked him for his service and he said he loved the club and hope we get back to where we should be.

pjennings

If we do lose Trent and if MM is really looking at bringing back Matty Simon they should be announced together to show commitment to the region's products. If Lachie is going to get a spot he should also be announced.

Forum Phoenix

It’s hard to imagine Trent getting anytime at SFC. It’s easy to imagine him playing and scoring against us though.

DDS would be desperate to go. I can’t blame him. I really hope it will change again, but we are no longer the club that launches careers. If anything we now torpedo them.

It’s also the problem with a youth focused model though. First glimpse of the stars and most young players are going to want to jump ship and their agents will be pushing them to go,

Players like Golec and Tommy are a much better fit for us while we need to rebuild. Though its great to keep local talent like Lachie and still be seen as a youth pathway and able to attract talent, as a rebuilding strategy, I’m not convinced.

Otherwise we’re in real danger of just perpetually blooding young pjayers who are not up to scratch and then losing them just when they start coming good. Or as with a few other under performers, lumbering ourselves with them with foolishly long contracts after they hit a purple patch of form.

And when they are good and on long contracts, they still seem to get out almost at will these days. Drives me mental. Those clauses...?

After all the years developing TBT, SFC should have to pay through the nose if they want him. Not get him on a bloody free. It’s madness.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred