• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sign a Marquee Striker

Marquee

elevated position said:
would ryan griffiths fit the bill

More of a left winger but can still play striker. I'd have him here even though his scoring record isn't fantastic. However he has signed for the Gold Coast, pending a release from his Romanian club, for the last 7 rounds or so.

Kareem

SCREW GOLD COAST!
:p
I mean they already have an envious front line...
Give me any of Smeltz, Minniecon or Porter...
Heck I would even consider that brazillian forward (although would definately prefer their first 3)
Throw in this Griffiths signing, and possibly Kanu on guest stint (good chance it wont happen...but still)- and I am jealous!

But I suppose the rest of their team lacks...hmmm
Combining the 2 coast's= SUPER TEAM :p

FFC Mariner

Assuming we couldnt get Sneltz, I'd love to see us sign someone like Porter.

He does the job Dmac is supposed to

Marquee

FFC Mariner said:
Assuming we couldnt get Sneltz, I'd love to see us sign someone like Porter.

He does the job Dmac is supposed to

+1

I'm a long time Porter fan. One of the only players in the A-league who has consistently found the back of the net throughout their career. According to wiki numbers, he averages a goal every ~3 games, which is decent. Compared to DMac, a goal every ~ 6 games.

Also DMac has only scored 7 goals overseas (Norway) compared to 46 for Porter (League 1/2).

Marquee

elevated position said:
I just saw a clip at the TWG site for asia and Ryan played along side sackwack???

Yeah he is currently at Beijing with Sackwack. Not sure if he is on loan from the Romanian club or is there permanently. Whichever way, his contract must be expiring soon.

elevated position

Does GC have the same budget as everyone else? If you assess all their roster a lot of their players must be on very basic money. Which leaves the door ajar for a smart team to poach the odd malcontent?

Razorback

I find it hard to believe that topic is up to 4 pages. If we have learned anything, it is that the club is reluctant in signing anyone mid season let alone a marquee striker (the one thing the fans really want) unless it is an injury replacement. Lets face it this is probably our strike force for the season and maybe next as well.

FFC Mariner

Razorback said:
I find it hard to believe that topic is up to 4 pages. If we have learned anything, it is that the club is reluctant in signing anyone mid season let alone a marquee striker (the one thing the fans really want) unless it is an injury replacement. Lets face it this is probably our strike force for the season and maybe next as well.

I see your post and I raise you an Aloi$i

scottmac

Suspended
FFC Mariner said:
Razorback said:

I see your post and I raise you an Aloi$i

He did take insurance on that gamble by saying
Razorback said:
unless it is an injury replacement.

boony26

why would we want a griffiths at the club anyway? hes the brother of two scummers and an ex scummer himself

Wombat

boony26 said:
lol we could sign tore andre flo for the rest of the season? pretty sure he is currently clubless and has proven before that he can score goals and he would fit the marquee image i believe.

Was shit for Leeds a couple years back in 2nd division so probably not the answer. I'd love someone like Alan Smith of Leeds and scum (Manyoo) fame but I guess he's out of our league.

Forum Phoenix

Next season as well?
I really don't think so razorwrists.

Lawrie putting Kwas upfront instead of D Mac with Mrdja being dropped to the yoof
proves he knows we have a striker problem - even if he was crazy enough not to realise it which he isn't.

Last season... defensive problems... signs Doig - big improvement.
Need creativity in the mids - signs weemac and Travis - looking good.

Our problem since has been natural wide players and strikers.

But who knew? Still they have clearly identified and tried to rectify it...

Wide right...

Ahmad on his past, *should* be a real quality HAL signing.
But no, so Elrich dropped, try Porter - don't think that doors completely closed yet but not looking great, tries two of our strikers there, NOPE, and then tries Travis - who is now starting there and while not a natural wide player, its certainly proving valuable having him on the park.

Wide Left...

Re signs Kwas, I'm still actually ok with that. But also was happy that we were still searching... and we get dealt a dodgey Jamaican, then Lachlan Cahill is not the goods.. so they try Hutch wide left - and its working quite well ...

Strikers...

Had faith in Simon, still do. Had faith in D Mac, (Remember when there was all the socceroo call up stuff going on last season) but my faith is fading now.
I was also in all honesty expecting Mrdja to come good sooner or later. WRONG.

I don't think many people knew we would be struggling so much striker wise.

But based on the past, I can only see evidence that they are endeavouring to sign players and attend to our problems. Why wouldn't they?

So chin up. Thery're clearly aware of the problem and so I'm sure they're working on it. We just have to hope they pull something off.
A la Aloisi.

FFC Mariner

It takes 2 or possibly 3 seasons to build a side and this rebuilding has been going on for 2 really.

The spine is looking fine (assuming Doig is fit) and I'm pretty confident that LM knows the problem up front.

The bit that I will be interested to see is does he go for a smaller,nippy goal poacher to play alongside Matty as the target or a Porter (Joel) type player for Matty to play off?

Personally, I think we are a bit samey up front and someone with a different style to Matty would be good. (Agree that Mrdja and Dmac are different in that they dont score but you know what I mean)

A younger, fitter Sasho is the ideal..........gotta find him 1st and that might take a while

scottmac

Suspended
Part_Timer said:
cahill was injury cover for huke who is now fit....

Shame we didn't have one more spot cause i reckon he would have been worth a punt. Especially being a natural lefty. He only had 2 weeks or so which would have been a shame for him.

Forum Phoenix

Part_Timer said:
cahill was injury cover for huke who is now fit....

Until he rejoins the senior team they could have kept him.
Means he was never any real potential or they wouldn't have let him go early or easily.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred