• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Sign a Marquee Striker

Kareem

Forum Phoenix said:
We could afford to offer him marquee.
Personally think he'd be better value than Sterjovski and close to Culina.

But anyhow, well beyond highly unlikely, and if we are going to spend up and bring someone in WE ABSOLUTELY NEED A STRIKER - not someone to take over Weemacs role which is where would best suit Carle.
I agree 100%
tbh our midfield is pretty gun as it is.
If we were going to bring in a marquee mid-season, surely HAS to be a striker
although if we could not find a striker at all...
then 4-2-3-1
        For the middle- Huke, Bojic, Crowell or Hutch
            eg.      Bojic- Hutch           
then        Travis- Wee Mac- Carle
                        Simon
still I would just love to sign a striker

pjennings

Forum Phoenix said:
We could afford to offer him marquee.
Personally think he'd be better value than Sterjovski and close to Culina.

But anyhow, well beyond highly unlikely, and if we are going to spend up and bring someone in WE ABSOLUTELY NEED A STRIKER - not someone to take over Weemacs role which is where would best suit Carle.

I agree that a striker is our number one priority - but a marquee striker - a real one - is probably not going to happen.

A Marquee has to be approved by the FFA and has to be affordable for our board. People like Viddie, Yorke, Aloi$i, Fowler get the tick for their recognition factor in the wider community.

There just aren't that many overseas players that fit all our marquee requirements.

Striker
Clinical
Puts bums on seats
Available
Not too expensive
Approved by FFA
Fits our team

Try thinking of one.

Fowler would have been one. He was relatively cheap because he was a risk. He had microsurgery on his hip in January - many thought he wouldn't play again - and our investors were probably not in the market at that stage because of the GFC and their own business concerns.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah, very difficult I agree pj.

I think we probably have to completely forget about the famous but mostly past it strikers -  and settle for any fast slippery striker who can put balls in the net at this level. I believe goals and winning will put more bums on seats than just about anything else we can manage especially as you point out that goals from someone also famous seems highly unlikely.

If Pedj, Doig and Huke look competitive at HAL level, which they do, then I would be looking at poaching a league one or even league two striker.

Paul Benson  - Dagenham & Redbridge - One of Hukes former...
Jamie Davidson -  AFC Bournemouth     
Adebayo Akinfenwa - Northampton Town -  Doig and Pedj's former..

Really don't know crap about these guys except that they are rated at their level and from what we've seen strikers who are playing at this level should do well enough over here, which is my point. I hear that Smeltz guy does ok ;)

There's plenty of teams... 3 or 4 strikers apiece.... bound to be at least several disgruntled strikers who'd consider a warm and palm tree lined change of scenery surely?

Not by any means, what Robbie Slater or Andy harper would call a genuine marquee... and they'd be right.

But I couldn't give a flying if we get a striker who can score 12 plus goals a season I'd be absolutely ecstatic. And we'd probably make the finals to boot.
Success definitely = bums on seats.

Who are our scouts by the way?
Anyone know?

serious14

pjennings said:
Wombat said:
I'd love Carle (even as an ex Scum) but he is on the up and won't come back to Oz for a while.

I'd put him in the Sasho category. Happy to jeer him for SFC or Scum - but glad when we signed him.

If it was sackwhack, definitely not.

If we could get him on loan and still get a quick clinical striker I think we would take a lot of stopping. At the end of the day he needs game time in a World Cup year - a loan deal may be his best option. (maybe we could loan a couple of ex Socceroos back)

If we did get him I  would play him at DCM as he was in the Championship - with license to go forward. 

A starting eleven of

Danny
Boogs Wilko Doig Heff
       Carle
Travis Hutch
       Wee Mac

Quick clinical striker Matty

Change that to a 4-2-2-2 with Carle next to Wee Mac.... Carle is no good that deep tbf.

That would be one damn good team just quietly.

Forum Phoenix

Alright I'll play too...
If we got Carle - we won't... but IF...
Then forget signing another striker so we can play 442,
as we would already have the squad for a seriously kick ass 4321

Danny       
Boogs  Wilko      Doig  Heff     
              Pedj 
Travis                    Hutch           
      Carle          Wee Mac         

Simon 

Quality side.
Ship bugger all goals but could score them.
Still need depth, but wed' be very hard to stop.
Great team to take to Asia if we got the chance too.

Kareem

my only problem is most of league 1 or 2 players dont have pace as their main attribute do they?
They are good strong forward types (which I am sick of :p ). I do agree Huke, Doig and Crowell all look great quality! But they are different positions...better off looking elsewhere for that 'speedy' + clinical striker.
That said if we cant find speedy anywhere- I would just be content for a striker that can hit the back of the net!

If I was allowed to dream...Ivan Sproule, whom I love (and is Nicky Carles teammate :p )(except he plays :p ). Quite possibly fastest player in championship...but a winger (who has issues scoring- although he destroyed rangers a few yrs back with 4 goals and 1 assist in 2 games). But no chance (he is northern irish not scottish)
Sorry for my random love post!

serious14

Football would be a lot more boring if players never went to a rival club.... who gives a shit as long as they're good??

dibo

Scum fans would prefer to shit broken bottles than see Carle come to us, which is why it's such a shame that it probably won't happen.

pjennings

Forum Phoenix said:
I think we probably have to completely forget about the famous but mostly past it strikers -  and settle for any fast slippery striker who can put balls in the net at this level. I believe goals and winning will put more bums on seats than just about anything else we can manage especially as you point out that goals from someone also famous seems highly unlikely.

If Pedj, Doig and Huke look competitive at HAL level, which they do, then I would be looking at poaching a league one or even league two striker.

Paul Benson  - Dagenham & Redbridge - One of Hukes former...
Jamie Davidson -  AFC Bournemouth     
Adebayo Akinfenwa - Northampton Town -  Doig and Pedj's former..

There is a guy Billy Sharp, on loan from Sheffield United to Doncaster. From all accounts the type we need (okay - just one account - my boss is a Sc**thorpe fan).
http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10329~30427,00.html

Not a marquee - but the type of player you are referring to. Why wasn't our much vaunted partnership used to explore this option when Blackwell thought he was surplus?

elevated position

Yes this Billy Sharp certainly can find the back of the net with that sort of record he would tear this game apart, We probably could not or would not pay his transfer!!

JT

Jerome said:
dmac must stay, he aint scoring many but he is a great FORWARD, jsut behind the strikers:D

what's the point of having a striker if he dosn't score.

we need to replace him and mrdja

Kareem

JT said:
Jerome said:
dmac must stay, he aint scoring many but he is a great FORWARD,
jsut behind the strikers:D

what's the point of having a striker if he dosn't score.

we need to replace him and mrdja
people, people...
we had difficulty locating a 4th striker (trialling several) in the offseason...and just decided to go with what we had.
Now we are ALL in agreeance Mrdja must go...yes?
Now we would be down to 2 strikers (with Kwassie flexible)
Say we get rid of DMAC we would then need to find 2-3 strikers which is a harder ask...
I think at our rate and difficulty- we should sign
1 quality striker, 1 young striker and keep DMAC.
Give the young striker chance to displace DMAC (if he starts scoring easy enough)- and DMAC can be relegated to 4th choice...
Or we could just through mids up front again- Hutch anyone? :p
NB: depends on the $$$ he is on ofcourse. I wouldnt be paying a 'starting player' salary!

If anyone is confident we can find 2-3 strikers all better than MAC (young player with potential excepted) then please explain the optimism!

Forum Phoenix

I agree with Kareem  ;D
We have to punt Mrdja and so can't afford to ditch D Mac even if we wanted to. Personally as yet I don't think he deserves to be punted in any case - but he must step up and bag a few soon.

The only exception is if he is depressed that he's not being seen good enough as even our number two now... Which is quite possible. Then he's as good as gone anyway...

I hope not... I think there is still quality there...
But he simply must fight now and prove his worth.

serious14

Forum Phoenix said:
I hope not... I think there is still quality there...
But he simply must fight now and prove his worth.

FFS - we've been "hoping" this for 5 years now - just accept that it's not going to happen!!!  Is it not blatantly obvious that he doesn't give a shit??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred