• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Monty Be Signed for Another Season?

Should Monty Get another season?

• Yes

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd prefer other players with we have tried, with no heart,no guts and no idea but cheaper.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should stay but on a reduced contract.

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

Coach

The reasoning looks like assumptions to me. There was a statement presented as a fact, but then the supporting argument was 'well, I've known him in the past, and then I think his personality was this' and then leapt to this very specific conclusion.

When one makes a factual statement suggesting some secret insider knowledge then later clarifies he doesn't have that knowledge, then the statement is just an assumption. May be based upon his past perceptions of the person's personality, but an assumption nonetheless. So nothing to ease up on there - I haven't argued with any of his criticisms of Paulo's approach, personality or coaching because I can't offer an argument against any of those.

Just reread what I wrote, it was my opinion but looks like a statement of fact, so my apologies. What can't be argued is that Okon has next to NO experience in managing a Professional team and is failing in my opinion based on what I know about him and the fact that Roy, Fab, Izzo, Posc, Faty, Tavares are leaving and Monty isn't wanted. Why would we let one of our best go based on just about every criteria? Additionally, we have hardly been linked to other high level A league players so what sort of squad will we end up with? The world wide search better be a good one! I suppose if I'm talking shit I don't have the market cornered here. As Dibo says don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Just reread what I wrote, it was my opinion but looks like a statement of fact, so my apologies. What can't be argued is that Okon has next to NO experience in managing a Professional team and is failing in my opinion based on what I know about him and the fact that Roy, Fab, Izzo, Posc, Faty, Tavares are leaving and Monty isn't wanted. Why would we let one of our best go based on just about every criteria? Additionally, we have hardly been linked to other high level A league players so what sort of squad will we end up with? The world wide search better be a good one! I suppose if I'm talking shit I don't have the market cornered here. As Dibo says don't let the facts get in the way of the narrative.

Well that's just inacceptable on the internet :piralaugh:
Appreciate you clarifying what you were getting at there. I can understand your conclusion from your personal experience/views there. Not going to argue against any of that - and I know your coaching/tactical insight exceeds mine so not going to bother arguing there!

Bit of a shame to hear about your other concerns, of course.

Wombat

While our current CDM isn't the strongest, I could probably live with going into next season with Monty and McGing starting, and Berry/Rosie functioning as a backup - IF the return is that the money is spent well on at least a CB/CAM and CF. I'd like to see more strengthening in midfield, but as has already been pointed out, I don't expect a Monty replacement to come cheaply and his potential departure certainly carries some of the same concerns for me, that the departure of Matty Simon and Hutch did (and arguably those concerns have been somewhat borne out).

McGing...,,WTF????

Wombat

Coach,
You are very interesting character.
I believe you are in the know and connected with the squad!
What about your blind support of Micky Neil, who while being a diamond bloke, is an absolutely shit defender.
I also think you have heard the rumours about Monty and you have also stumbled upon the real (possible only please God) real reason for him not being resigned.
I hope you and me are wrong and Capt assumption is correct

scottmac

Suspended
McGing...,,WTF????
I rate mcging. He's been loads better in midfield than the last 4 and is very young. With a bit more steel to his game he could be the next Jedinak but with better distribution.
Id keep starting him if we get some experienced center backs no problem.

Wombat

I rate mcging. He's been loads better in midfield than the last 4 and is very young. With a bit more steel to his game he could be the next Jedinak but with better distribution.
Id keep starting him if we get some experienced center backs no problem.

He reminds me of Carlton Palmer.

Big Al

McGing is certainly a better player as a DM but clearly not good enough to get us out of playing for the spoon each year.

He was not missed on Sunday.

I also believe Paulo got it wrong playing him there instead of Monty (when Taveras went down) who belongs there over him everyday of the year. The fact McGing had a contract for next year may have played a part so Paulo could see what he had to work with, eg. Should he invest time improving him as a CB or as a DM.

nebakke

So - I wasn't saying that McGing is some sort of giant slayer, and I was working on the assumption that we'd be playing two DMs, which we haven't really been doing at least half this season.
He's made mistakes, but people do that from time to time, middling midfielders too - that's why they're middling. But the real point was that I also don't think he is unserviceable... He's still young and he's already contracted for next season anyway, so what I was trying to get across was that we have to focus our spend somewhere and I'm comfortable with resigning Monty and then focusing the spend somewhere other than at CDM - because those other places need it more.
That way, we'll see what he turns into with another season of potential first team game, as a CDM - where we all seem to agree he does best.

If we rely on a CDM to keep us from playing for the spoon, we're bound to fail again next year... McGing/Monty is a passable option if we can shore up Defense and CAM first.

Big Al

So - I wasn't saying that McGing is some sort of giant slayer, and I was working on the assumption that we'd be playing two DMs, which we haven't really been doing at least half this season.
He's made mistakes, but people do that from time to time, middling midfielders too - that's why they're middling. But the real point was that I also don't think he is unserviceable... He's still young and he's already contracted for next season anyway, so what I was trying to get across was that we have to focus our spend somewhere and I'm comfortable with resigning Monty and then focusing the spend somewhere other than at CDM - because those other places need it more.
That way, we'll see what he turns into with another season of potential first team game, as a CDM - where we all seem to agree he does best.

If we rely on a CDM to keep us from playing for the spoon, we're bound to fail again next year... McGing/Monty is a passable option if we can shore up Defense and CAM first.
I understand the logic but we have been playing McGing and Monty for half a season now and look where we are. We still have had those 15 min brain farts, part of that is the CB's but also the midfield not being in position or calm enough to control the tempo and wrestle back the momentum.

1 experienced CB at a minimum would help, while a AM is very important he won't stop the defensive problems.

Taveras composure under pressure was supreme and settled the nerves of everyone.

McGing will be a handy bench player due to versatility.

Monty needs replacing in the near future but I could see him fitting very well with say Taveras or like player and a AM with Berry off the bench

Tevor

McGing has had more time than most young players get in the HAL so how much more time do we give him? Wouldn't be concerned if I didn't see him on the team sheet again. Imagine Riley McGree if had as many starts as McGing. Whilst he has improved don't think he has even rated in the young footballer nominations, ever.

nebakke

McGing has had more time than most young players get in the HAL so how much more time do we give him? Wouldn't be concerned if I didn't see him on the team sheet again. Imagine Riley McGree if had as many starts as McGing. Whilst he has improved don't think he has even rated in the young footballer nominations, ever.

Nobody is saying he'll set the world on fire - but we can hardly expect every player on the team to be to quality, so the question becomes: "where do we spend on those top quality players and where do we work with fairly serviceable stock"?
Bearing in mind that he's already got a contract for next season it seems to me that releasing him would be damn stupid. Especially considering the rebuilding task we're already facing.

JoyfulPenguin

McGing has improved to his limit I think, his strengths can be utilised well in the right game plan but his weaknesses are those that don't improve. His touch and passing range won't improve with more game time but he could be a good player in the right system. He's a good tackler and has decent defensive positional sense which should improve over time we ask too much of him however when we ask him to link the lines. A good number 10 would help him no end and players like him have won championships (Paartalu, Murdocca, Poljak).

Wombat

Happy to see him in the Squad if he already has a contract for next season. Not happy to see him in the starting 11. Same with Ascroft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred