• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Monty Be Signed for Another Season?

Should Monty Get another season?

• Yes

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd prefer other players with we have tried, with no heart,no guts and no idea but cheaper.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should stay but on a reduced contract.

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

Gratis

All feeling a bit ominous. My hope is that the TV deal has just left things up in the air and his mum was just saying that because she knows he doesn't currently have anything locked in.

That said, certain comments on this and other threads from individuals with ties to the club are are little too clear for me and my rational mind is now expecting his retirement or transfer announcement sometime soon.

Which would hurt I won't lie. From a loyalty and tactical point of view I think he is a no brainer signing for next year, even if he were to spend more time on the bench if age ever started catching up with him. I reckon he would continue to own his spot, however.

Alas

Big Al

Seems to me there has been 3 tiers of players

1.Those we considered essential to our squad so offered contracts - Izzo, O Donovan,
Being key positions and good quality A Leaguers why not
Storm may also have been here as future captain and has resigned
Bingham as backup striker and probably cheap
Pearce cheap

Just because a player is cheap or backup doesn't make them not a priority, they are part of the squad building

2. Those maybe offered similar deals to current but need to know more about how much money we have and what positions we can fill elsewhere
Your Monty's for instance, aging and replaceable by imports etc

3. Those just told flat out no, maybe a Fab who was apparently very expensive

Wombat

The decision has nothing to do with the club, it stems directly from the Manager. He believes Monty has too much influence at the club and hevneeds to have full control. He will not find an equivalent replacement at Monty's price and he doesn't care

This indicates that Coach is "in the know". I truly hope that Paul is a bigger man than that. If he forces Monty out I will not listen to his young, inexperienced squad routine next year.

style_cafe

For mine it`s a no brainer to re-sign Monty.
He gives so much to the club, community & fans.
If he doesn`t get resigned & we have another bad year it`s out the gate for PO.
There is so much room for movement under the current rules.
If Sydney, Melbourne & City & Adelaide can get around the rules surely we can too.

The only reason PO would have to oust him is to get rid of his likely successor...:popcorn:

Coach

This indicates that Coach is "in the know". I truly hope that Paul is a bigger man than that. If he forces Monty out I will not listen to his young, inexperienced squad routine next year.

Wombat, I am not in the know with the Mariners, I have no inside contact with them what so ever, they are my team. I have been in the representative coaching ranks in Sydney for years and have a number of mates in the agents ranks. I have not coached directly with Okon, however, I have been in close quarters with him. Firstly, he is an ok guy, but, everybody will tell you he is a little left of centre. He is treated favorably by the media presumably because of his playing days and friendships developed with those now in the media. His playing career means he deserves respect. I think he is an average coach but a poorer man manager - in fact the word awful springs to mind. His playing ability was intuitive his coaching stiff and structured. He doesn't think outside the square. What does resonate, over and over again, is his insecurity of tenure in the positions he has held. Make no doubt Monty is a threat because of his place in the club, that is why he is gone - his performance on the weekend would have been embarrassing for Okon. Make no doubt, the proof is in the pudding, almost everybody that can leave the Mariners is doing so, sadly Monty is one that wants to stay as I understand it, he has a young family to feed. The agents I know have indicated that many of our better players will go - we need Monty. I am very concerned about 2017-18.

Coach

But removing Hutcho was a probably a smart move. Not resigning Monty could be his dumbest.
I will disagree but I understand where you are coming from. I believe Hutch would have been perfect for Okon, his excellent player liaison skills and thorough club loyalty would have filled the a role that Okon struggles with, it seems that he may have been seen as a possible subversive influence. As per previous comments this is so Okon. It is being repeated with Monty.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It indicates that he's either in the know or talking shit. Guess we've established he isn't in the know.

adz

Staff member
Ease up. Just because you disagree automatically means he is "talking shit"?
He gave an opinion and also explained his reasoning. What more do you want?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The reasoning looks like assumptions to me. There was a statement presented as a fact, but then the supporting argument was 'well, I've known him in the past, and then I think his personality was this' and then leapt to this very specific conclusion.

When one makes a factual statement suggesting some secret insider knowledge then later clarifies he doesn't have that knowledge, then the statement is just an assumption. May be based upon his past perceptions of the person's personality, but an assumption nonetheless. So nothing to ease up on there - I haven't argued with any of his criticisms of Paulo's approach, personality or coaching because I can't offer an argument against any of those.

nebakke

We've treated some of our players very poorly before - McGlinchey? Makes it hard to get on the club's side when a player wants to do the same and back out of their contract (or just leave). Club loyalty goes both ways.

That's hardly a fair representation of the mcGlinchey situation... He went to Japan on loan for Arnie, then went and negotiated with WelNux behind the club's back and ended up being announced for them before anything had been settled with the club... Indeed the comment from the club at the time was that they were caught off-guard altogether by the announcement.

Not saying to blindly trust the club, but from memory, noone ever actually denied the club's version of events... The only discussion was around mcGlinchey's right to move on...

By all account, Matty Simon was screwed royally though...

nebakke

While our current CDM isn't the strongest, I could probably live with going into next season with Monty and McGing starting, and Berry/Rosie functioning as a backup - IF the return is that the money is spent well on at least a CB/CAM and CF. I'd like to see more strengthening in midfield, but as has already been pointed out, I don't expect a Monty replacement to come cheaply and his potential departure certainly carries some of the same concerns for me, that the departure of Matty Simon and Hutch did (and arguably those concerns have been somewhat borne out).

Paolo

Dont think it counts as being screwed?

Priced himself out of a contract and by the time he realised that he overvalued himself we didnt have a spot for him.

adz

Staff member
That's hardly a fair representation of the mcGlinchey situation... He went to Japan on loan for Arnie, then went and negotiated with WelNux behind the club's back and ended up being announced for them before anything had been settled with the club... Indeed the comment from the club at the time was that they were caught off-guard altogether by the announcement.

Not saying to blindly trust the club, but from memory, noone ever actually denied the club's version of events... The only discussion was around mcGlinchey's right to move on...

I can't remember the details exactly (so I hope nobody gets upset if I say something they think is wrong) - What I thought happened is McGlinchey was looking to become an Aus citizen, but around the time the club was sold to Mike Charlesworth, the club stuffed some paperwork up meaning the whole process would have to start over. That's when there was a loophole of not actually being under contract any more as the club had changed hands. The club was using this to renegotiate other player deals, but didn't like McGlinchey using it as an out and that's the stuff we see reported.

There was an interview on Fox with Mcglinchey where he explained it all about it but I can't find any references to it so can't find anything to back any of this up.

Pirate Pete

From what I remember of the McGlinchey saga.
He was loaned to the club in Japan.
While he was there, Mike took over and the players contracts were updated / changed.
As McGlinchey wasn't at the club at that time he used the excuse that his contract was
not current as he had not signed once Mike took over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred