• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Monty Be Signed for Another Season?

Should Monty Get another season?

• Yes

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd prefer other players with we have tried, with no heart,no guts and no idea but cheaper.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should stay but on a reduced contract.

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

Wombat

Monty has been a legend for our club. Some people with little idea championed Hutcho over Monty but he eventually took over and we looked better for it.
Sadly for Monty he joined at a time when the club was destroyed by bad management at all levels.
The one constant has been Monty busting a gut and many times being the sole reason that we didn't get absolutely thrashed by some teams.
Some disturbing whispers have come out that the club are looking to shaft Monty and not renew his contract.
Looking at how completey rudderless we are when Monty is out, I truly hope the club is not stupid enough to let him go at the end of this season.

VicMariner

Probably the only solid rock we have.
Do we look like replacing him with anyone nearly as competent? From a sporting perspective, we can't afford to lose him.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Listening to Shaun talk on the podcast about Monty's passion and enthusiasm and it sounds like he's a player we need to keep and build on. He's a solid workhorse.
He may not be the player who necessarily puts fire in the team - some of Hutcho's greatest moments were before himself as a captain when he'd turn the entire team around by doing something amazing, even just a hard tackle that shows everybody what's what.
But it depends how he fits into Paulo's vision. I would think (not being a coach, of course) that you need to have some base to build a team from - and Monty provides that. And he's a rounded enough player that he can fill a few spots on the field without looking too out of depth and should be able to adapt to a few playstyles.

Last edited:

true believer

There always has to be a spot for someone like monty . I believe paulo will have him facted in for next season.

Big Al

The only way there should be no Monty is if he priced himself out of a contract. The fact he already plays for us says that would be hard to believe.

Successful teams need hard workers. Guys who will do the little things the prima donnas won't do.

He is also a connection to the community. Ask casuals who plays for the Mariners and i bet his name is mentioned alot. The community needs a player they can identify with. He is it, all guts determination and humility.

He is absolute must keep.

That said Paulo is here to run the team he wants how he wants it. Fans don't say to him well down we lost again but you played Monty so we are happy. We demand success and he will demand it himself. I have no doubt Paulo would pull the plug if it suites him.

The club needs to say we want Monty.
Paulo you must use youth, you must work on a budget and you must have Monty in the squad. Paulo has already agreed to 2 out of those 3.
If Paulo can afford his players and Monty everyone wins

Big Al

We were simply not competitive without him and were with him.

The worst games were early in the year when Taveras and Monty were out and Brisbane last week.

Any game he has missed the boys went to water in

Holy

When you have a good look at the whole squad, Monty is the only one who truly bleeds yellow.

What he lacks in talent, he more than makes up in desire and he always gives 110 percent every time he takes the field.

He most certainly deserves another year, end of story.

Big Al

He is getting old and it should only be a single season renewal, that said he has no chronic injury problems that we know of.

Monty has played 20+ games a season in all 5 season he's been here and has averaged over 70mins a game which is over 80mins for last two seasons according to Foxsports

Games he missed
Round 4 1-1 vs WSW away, should have got a penalty to win
Round 9 1-4 vs WSW at home
Round 10 0-3 vs Nix away
Round 20 0-3 vs MV at home
Round 25 1-5 vs Roar away

Averaging over 3 goals a game against us when he hasn't played

Forum Phoenix

MUST KEEP. Forget his age, Monty doesn't know how to not give his all. He'd be the one player in our side other teams genuinely fear.
This will be a key transition year where experienced leadership on the pitch and dressing room will be vital. Storm cannot provide that. I don't think we have even one other player who can.

*And please see my sig.

bikinigirl

. to me it is very simple ... in our two worst seasons nobody has given more - and if nothing else that deserves reward

. nobody else in our squad can give us what Monty does (with an honourable mention to Posco) ... desire in the face of adversity

. the problem that I see is that he may not fit with Okon's vision of the footballer he wants ... what he should be looking at (with regard to Monty) is what he may lose not what Monty may lack

bikinigirl

. with regard to the 'reduced contract' idea ... i may be OK with this but i don't know the parameters we are dealing with

. but how much would it cost to replace him? what would this person provide in addition
and at what additional cost?

. from what I see, Okon has a lot of expensive recruitment to do to replace Monty from the first 11 let alone the squad

. if Monty had silky skills I doubt this would even be a top for conversation ... but there are 9 other outfield positions to find someone that can take a corner :p

Gratis

Monty in, no question.

On top of his obvious qualities as a ball-breaker, play-disrupter and Leader I think he has shown some real skill this season. In several games this year the attack was started by Monty and the creativity came from him too. All whilst under an almost unacceptable workload. That's stepping up to 130%.

In a reasonable team where he is required to produced less output I believe he has matured as a player - knowledge and skill-wise - to be a great starter of attacks even having broken up opposition play.

Quite simply: value for dollar we simply can't replace him for better. As Wombat said anyone we can get like him is going to cost - so why let him go?

And that's just the purely practical side of things.
The rest speaks for itself. Bleeds yellow, head never drops (he's carried this whole team game after game in the last couple of seasons), leadership, culture etc. and dagnamit - we owe him one! It's not like he's done a thing wrong yet either.

Monty in, no question.

Mariners Legend, no question.

Big Al

The also problem comes down to can he be a sub if Paulo does find want he wants.

Hitch also had a similar question about his last season, however we didn't have the players to push him out. Caceras and Rose never played at a level to force out hutch.

Paulo may get in players capable of pushing him into the background and this is required for the club to progress. It is transition time.

Here's hoping he plays here next year.

If not Shefield United just won promotion back to the championship

Ancient Mariner

I would like to see him stay another season, however it may be a season too far.

He does turn 38 this year. With each year in the 30s you become a yard slower and the body recovers much more slowly.

I hope he can do it, but age catches up to all of us. :(

Big Al

I would like to see him stay another season, however it may be a season too far.

He does turn 38 this year. With each year in the 30s you become a yard slower and the body recovers much more slowly.

I hope he can do it, but age catches up to all of us. :(
28 October 1981, he's 35. 36 at start of next season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami