• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Should Monty Be Signed for Another Season?

Should Monty Get another season?

• Yes

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd prefer other players with we have tried, with no heart,no guts and no idea but cheaper.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He should stay but on a reduced contract.

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

Mavtd

Absolutely needed for next season. Calm strong head (and body) to provide stability to the kids around him.
Having said that suspicious/paranoid that he had his kids with him for the march out before kickoff... (so did Roy for that matter).

pjennings

Absolutely needed for next season. Calm strong head (and body) to provide stability to the kids around him.
Having said that suspicious/paranoid that he had his kids with him for the march out before kickoff... (so did Roy for that matter).

I wouldn't read too much into that. They probably have a last home game 'family dinner' planned for tonight.

Atomic

Fitter than almost anyone in the side.
I remember Andrew Nealon (ex physio) told me that Monty is not the quickest bloke off the mark, but once he's up to speed, he can maintain it longer than anyone in the club. That was a couple of years ago, but I dont think much has changed.

Big Al

Best bit for me was in last 10 mins. Connar was upset and loosing his cool about a strong challenge.
He wanted a piece of some jet twice his size. Usually I'd say go get him
But Monty
Grabbed him and told him to cool it in no uncertain terms. A real captains statement of we are winning and it was act of a pissed off opposition. Don't feed the bull, smile and laugh we are two up.

We have no one else to take control of the boys.

Cracking goal as well

Timmah

He won't be around forever, which is something worth remembering. Great servant over many years but we also need to start looking to the future and his signature won't come cheap.

pjennings

He won't be around forever, which is something worth remembering. Great servant over many years but we also need to start looking to the future and his signature won't come cheap.

There will be a big turnover this season. Monty's presence next year to pass the true meaning of being a Mariner will be invaluable.

Forum Phoenix

GrA's post re his surprising creativity this year on top of his ball winning nails it. He's likely got two quality years in the tank given his fitness and injury record is outstanding. As wombat noted, if we want better it won't come cheap anyway. Throw in his leadership etc, and it really is a no brainer.

If Paolo moves him on, it will be a huge call, and it's his to make, but after that he doesn't then get the squad exactly right, then I and suspect most on here will feel inclined to judge him pretty harshly.

Last edited:

Wombat

My mail is the club were looking to shaft Monty. My knowledge is the club are generally very f**king stupid 90% of the time.
My hope is the club will wake up to themselves and resign Monty for next season because another season with either Rose or Berry as his replacement is beyond shitfull.

adz

Staff member
My mail is the club were looking to shaft Monty. My knowledge is the club are generally very f**king stupid 90% of the time.
My hope is the club will wake up to themselves and resign Monty for next season because another season with either Rose or Berry as his replacement is beyond shitfull.

We've treated some of our players very poorly before - McGlinchey? Makes it hard to get on the club's side when a player wants to do the same and back out of their contract (or just leave). Club loyalty goes both ways.

Coach

The decision has nothing to do with the club, it stems directly from the Manager. He believes Monty has too much influence at the club and hevneeds to have full control. He will not find an equivalent replacement at Monty's price and he doesn't care

soccer mad

What ever happens Monty will always be my fan favorite we all agree he deserves to be treated with respect one way or the other .

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The decision has nothing to do with the club, it stems directly from the Manager. He believes Monty has too much influence at the club and hevneeds to have full control. He will not find an equivalent replacement at Monty's price and he doesn't care
Evidence for any of this?

Luca Brasi

I have heard of a coach stamping his authority on a team (eg. Hutcho release) however this sounds more like a Stalinist purge. Monty brings some qualities more than football skills (leadership, spirit, mentor, etc) but it depends what value the club puts on this. I think he is a great box to box spoiler and an old fashioned hard man when required. He is not unskilled but struggles when asked to do more in a creative sense. Teamed with a genuine #10 he would excel in the midfield, especially if a dominant centre back was also signed.
If he was to be retained he would still demand a big chunk of cap space despite it likely being his last season.
If Roy, Fab and Monty all go there will need to be some pretty good recruiting to sign replacements at least their equal.

FFC Mariner

If the numbers being talked about for the Scum offer to Roy, he would be crazy not to go.
They are spending money like idiots if it's true. We can't and shouldn't compete in a bidding war to that extent

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred