• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Shopping list for the January window

Spacks

The only problem with keeping Hiariej that I can see is his wage. I've got no idea if it's average or really high.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Citys wage bill is reportedly $9m a season, Sydney allegedly offered Fornoroli $2.6m a season. Both clubs comply with the salary cap.
$9m a season for the team or the team and support staff?
Also, there's only, what, 4 players that can operate outside the cap?
There's still the bulk of the team....although perhaps that might be enough: $3.2mil across 11 players is about $290k each. Across 7 players (if 4 are on marquee wages) is over $450k

I know it's actually more players than that, but just playing with a concept....

But anyway, I just struggle to see how across the bulk of the team, other teams can seem to pay so much more than us if we're pushing the cap.

Big Al

$9m a season for the team or the team and support staff?
Also, there's only, what, 4 players that can operate outside the cap?
There's still the bulk of the team....although perhaps that might be enough: $3.2mil across 11 players is about $290k each. Across 7 players (if 4 are on marquee wages) is over $450k

I know it's actually more players than that, but just playing with a concept....

But anyway, I just struggle to see how across the bulk of the team, other teams can seem to pay so much more than us if we're pushing the cap.
Those extra 4 or so players can add $20-30k to the pay packets of the rest. That on top
Of us being incredibly poor makes them a better option

turbo

Those extra 4 or so players can add $20-30k to the pay packets of the rest.

Not just the financial advantages of being outside the cap but being able to afford those players especially two quality designated players means the talent they’re trying to poach from us has more chance to shine, play finals or ACL and improve their future earnings as long as they aren’t jumping to a bench spot.

I’ve said it in other threads but we’ve got things backwards signing older unwanted elsewhere players to two year deals and developing npl/youth players to single year deals so they can be poached if they work out. It doesn’t make sense and with choices like that off the pitch it’s no wonder we aren’t performing on it.

Rowdy

The fact that Millar even entertained an invite from McKinna for a coffee SHOULD have Mielekamp punching holes in doors and kicking the poor cat.

If Shaun hasn't caught wind of this meeting and subsequently had Millar's arse squirming in a seat in his office - then we all may as well give up any hope we have for our future.

If I had the reins, that meeting would have included Charlesworth blowing steam via Skype & an ultimatum of a new contract
AND ..... it MUST BE SIGNED NOW !!!!

Explained succinctly to him, that he's valued & has a major role in the future of this club
.... but that requires COMMITMENT both ways !!

Offer to him another 2 or even 3 years
(*I think he is worth a 3 yr deal)
- with an increase in $'s &/or incentive bonuses included
(like games played, goals scored etc.)

If Millar doesnt want to sign ?
- then he DOESN'T GET TO PLAY, not even NYL.

NO IF'S - NO BUT'S !

"Sorry Milly, but we just cant allow you more game time ... to ultimately become a better player for another club to then sign you, it's that simple.

We would rather give a kid from NYL a chance to prove themselves than allow you to obviously keep improving over the next 17 games that only benefits yourself and what ever club you decide to sign for"

Our season is already fcuked after 10 Rnds, it's far wiser to play hardball with a player like this on a 1 year deal, with the ultimate goal of locking him in for 2 or even 3 more years, when the alternative is to play nicely-nicely and he just goes anyway.

But why let him go ... FITTER, STRONGER & more EXPERIENCED to his 'new club' ???

Millar will have none of the above x3 traits for a prospective club IF you drop him immediately.
( only because he refuses to sign.)

Interested clubs don't get to see him for the remainder of the season, his fitness levels plummet (because now he has to train on his own ... & without S&C advice), but you still make him turn up to darn training everyday by God !

As a club (management), need to start thinking 'bigger picture' with this type of shenanigans from McKinna, and teach a young player that 'that cup of coffee' can really fcuk'n burn when it falls into your lap.

If you need me to help give this kid a reality check, I'm willing & available.

Last edited:

Rowdy

The same could be applied to Rowles if he comes off of contract at end of this season (I'm unsure of his deal/ @pjennings ??)

Especially if the rumours about his agent wanting to punish us over Da Silva, by taking Kye to the Plastics.

pjennings

The same could be applied to Rowles if he comes off of contract at end of this season (I'm unsure of his deal/ @pjennings ??)

Especially if the rumours about his agent wanting to punish us over Da Silva, by taking Kye to the Plastics.

Rowles and Millar both off contact at the end of the season

turbo

I have to disagree with that approach, you can’t expect your players to be professional and then hold them ransom like that. The PFA would have something to say about that and it would further damage our chances of recruiting or retaining a decent squad and may even lose the current player group.

It’s 100% on us he is signed for 1 year, he isn’t asking for a release just looking at his options after a breakout season. We could go from being front runners to retain him to completely out of the race. I wouldn’t want to hang around with an employer that’s going to pull that sort of rubbish on me.

Edit: I’m fine with him copping a serve for the meeting, it’s the contract ransom I’m against.

Insertnamehere

I have to disagree with that approach, you can’t expect your players to be professional and then hold them ransom like that. The PFA would have something to say about that and it would further damage our chances of recruiting or retaining a decent squad and may even lose the current player group.

It’s 100% on us he is signed for 1 year, he isn’t asking for a release just looking at his options after a breakout season. We could go from being front runners to retain him to completely out of the race. I wouldn’t want to hang around with an employer that’s going to pull that sort of rubbish on me.

Edit: I’m fine with him copping a serve for the meeting, it’s the contract ransom I’m against.
Agree with everything you've said and in most other sports having a meeting like that with any opposition staffer that is unknown to you could constitute tapping up. Wonder what rules the FFA has... Probably none

Scotty

Get us a playmaker
Agree. It's clear that even if we had Messi, he wouldn't be scoring goals with our current squad. I have a hunch that Murray will bang in some goals given decent service from a quality play maker. There's zero value in signing a top rated striker without a decent play maker.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

We might be in the market for a player or two after all, looks like Ross could be off to Motherwell sooner than later
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...therwell-enduring-difficult-spell-League.html
So what's the reasoning behind that? Not getting the glory and putting us in the too hard basket? I mean, if this is true there should be no justification for wanting to leave so early in the season, except maybe a young player given the opportunity of a lifetime somewhere.

pjennings

Agree. It's clear that even if we had Messi, he wouldn't be scoring goals with our current squad. I have a hunch that Murray will bang in some goals given decent service from a quality play maker. There's zero value in signing a top rated striker without a decent play maker.

If we are going to persist with Simon up front at least move him wide right in front of Millar and play Murray in the middle. We can't do any worse and I have the feeling that once Murray gets a couple he will grow in confidence.

Big Al

The fact that Millar even entertained an invite from McKinna for a coffee SHOULD have Mielekamp punching holes in doors and kicking the poor cat.

If Shaun hasn't caught wind of this meeting and subsequently had Millar's arse squirming in a seat in his office - then we all may as well give up any hope we have for our future.

If I had the reins, that meeting would have included Charlesworth blowing steam via Skype & an ultimatum of a new contract
AND ..... it MUST BE SIGNED NOW !!!!

Explained succinctly to him, that he's valued & has a major role in the future of this club
.... but that requires COMMITMENT both ways !!

Offer to him another 2 or even 3 years
(*I think he is worth a 3 yr deal)
- with an increase in $'s &/or incentive bonuses included
(like games played, goals scored etc.)

NO IF'S - NO BUT'S !

"Sorry Milly, but we just cant allow you more game time ... to ultimately become a better player for another club to then sign you, it's that simple.

We would rather give a kid from NYL a chance to prove themselves than allow you to obviously keep improving over the next 17 games that only benefits yourself and what ever club you decide to sign for"

Our season is already fcuked after 10 Rnds, it's far wiser to play hardball with a player like this on a 1 year deal, with the ultimate goal of locking him in for 2 or even 3 more years, when the alternative is to play nicely-nicely and he just goes anyway.

But why let him go ... FITTER, STRONGER & more EXPERIENCED to his 'new club' ???

Millar will have none of the above x3 traits for a prospective club IF you drop him immediately.
( only because he refuses to sign.)

Interested clubs don't get to see him for the remainder of the season, his fitness levels plummet (because now he has to train on his own ... & without S&C advice), but you still make him turn up to darn training everyday by God !

As a club (management), need to start thinking 'bigger picture' with this type of shenanigans from McKinna, and teach a young player that 'that cup of coffee' can really fcuk'n burn when it falls into your lap.

If you need me to help give this kid a reality check, I'm willing & available.
Sorry Rowdy strongly disagree here. He is a free agent at end of the season and has every right to see what job opportunities are out there.

Also the club would be aware. I’ve read previously that clubs can ask for permission to talk to players with 6 months could even be a year left in there contract.

Also will be used for negotiations. Millar now has the ability to name a price instead of just taking any contact. He could ask the Jets for an increase or come back to us and say jets are offering this what is your offer type thing.
I have no issues and doesn’t need a bollocking that is unprofessional in this instance and would push him away.

Last edited:

Big Al

Agree with everything you've said and in most other sports having a meeting like that with any opposition staffer that is unknown to you could constitute tapping up. Wonder what rules the FFA has... Probably none
Pretty sure I’ve seen that clubs need to ask permission to negotiate with either 6 months left of 1 yr. can’t remember but the club should advise of an approach

Insertnamehere

Pretty sure I’ve seen that clubs need to ask permission to negotiate with either 6 months left of 1 yr. can’t remember but the club should advise of an approach
Google Bosman rule. No permission required if contract has less than 6 months to run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred