• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Shopping list for the January window

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Agree whole heartedly JP, in my eyes he at least gets next season as well. If he can’t right the ship then nice knowing you MM. a knew Manager now would still have the same team and more than likely no Jan window options so what would be the point. Season is gone and maybe but I doubt it perhaps we can jag a win or two.
Given that almost the entire current team is his doing, what's the argument that he should have a second season to correct things?

Often that argument is because he's come in to coach a team somebody else put together. That's not the case here. MM is already reaping what he sowed.

I see that arguments about him at least starting a 2nd season because a frequent coach turnover implements its own problems....but I'm struggling to see much argument beyond that

I don't think we can continue blaming the manager. The problem is we've got a whole heap of NPL level players, who in all fairness to them have tried their best but probably aren't going to reach A-League skill level
And the questions I've raised a few times is - why do we have an NPL quality team with no players that any other team fears (except perhaps McCormack, who so far has been a poor recruitment as he hasn't fitted into this team at all, though playing out of position probably doesn't help) - why do we have a team of such poor general quality when we're paying the full salary cap?

ballantyne

This.
Was Phelan going to be running the HR? Moot point now of course.
If Mulvey were relieved of the recruiting, would we see more of his strengths?
In his private thoughts is he thinking everything will be fine once his key signings are fit? That would explain the Hiariej problem.

Rowdy

If Mulvey were relieved of the recruiting, would we see more of his strengths?
Probably not.

As a coach you need to have the abillity to recognise a players strengths and weaknesses. ... or how else could a coach come up with a formation/tactics to win with what players he's got ?
- the above prerequisite sadly also applies to recruiting
.... & we're watching BOTH right NOW !

In his private thoughts is he thinking everything will be fine once his key signings are fit? That would explain the Hiariej problem.

"The Hiariej problem" was created by Mulvey himself .... dropping him when HE WAS FIT & then realising he needs him (that's a maybe) BUT now/has been injured.

You couldn't find a better example of 'shooting oneself in the foot' then this.

The MAJORITY of this squad is Mulveys doing ......'reap what you sow'

Big Al

Not expecting a lot of action in January, but there must be massive changes for next season. Many are coming off contract, one or two I would like to keep, but think we will may have to battle to keep them.
I expect some news on Ross and Tom departing. Everyone else will hold on for the pay cheques

FFC Mariner

Mulvey has no team manager and didnt have a S&C coach until recently
I expect some news on Ross and Tom departing. Everyone else will hold on for the pay cheques
Even the one seen recently having a cosy chat with McKinna ?- I'd suggest we are going to lose anyone any good. Rowles, Millar already being rumoured to leave.
Rinse and repeat last season

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Even the one seen recently having a cosy chat with McKinna ?- I'd suggest we are going to lose anyone any good. Rowles, Millar already being rumoured to leave.
the lack of S&C coach will hurt us all season, I think.
Who had the chat with McKinna?

Big Al

I meant for January. City group is such big draw card regardless of pay and yeah we stupid enough to loose Millar. The only thing is they have Gorgevski and Petratos further up field so he would be back to the bench unless one of those is leaving

JoyfulPenguin

I meant for January. City group is such big draw card regardless of pay and yeah we stupid enough to loose Millar. The only thing is they have Gorgevski and Petratos further up field so he would be back to the bench unless one of those is leaving
Georgievski would shift to the left side, with Millar on the right. Merrick doesn't seem to rate Vujica.

Wombat

But why would we let Millar go??.....no transfer fees so i'm guessing its just scaremongering.

Tommy H also did not sound like he was planing to jump ship.

The big question mark is if Ross is coming back or not.

Monty and Muley appear to have lifted their game but that might have coincided with the arrival of the S & C coach.

Pikey and Shaun have been silent as death.....maybe they are saving it up for a big announcement in Jan.

Insertnamehere

But why would we let Millar go??.....no transfer fees so i'm guessing its just scaremongering.

Tommy H also did not sound like he was planing to jump ship.

The big question mark is if Ross is coming back or not.

Monty and Muley appear to have lifted their game but that might have coincided with the arrival of the S & C coach.

Pikey and Shaun have been silent as death.....maybe they are saving it up for a big announcement in Jan.
I thought Millar only had a 1 yr deal so come the Jan window other clubs can approach.

Wombat

But why would we allow him to leave? They can approach......Matt can ask us...... and we will say no and sign him to a longer contract or at the very least make him see out his contract.

Maybe someone should drive Matt up to Newcastle and show him Wallsend, Mayfield, Windale etc!

Last edited:

Wombat

I understand but Newcastle are not great. The City is a cesspit. He probably wont get a starting spot there AND we dont have to release him before the end of the season anyway.

Insertnamehere

I understand but Newcastle are not great. The City is a cesspit. He probably wont get a starting spot there AND we dont have to release him before the end of the season anyway.
Don't get me wrong I agree. I'm just telling you the ins and outs of what he can do.
You also misunderstood in that he can sign a contract for next season with anyone he wants from the start of the window.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I think the end of the season is what is worrying people. We will not let anyone go in January, however those whose contracts end in June 2019 can be approached with offers from other clubs.

At the end of the season I can see the possibility of us losing the 7 players I suggest elsewhere that Wombat wants to keep.

The only ones I see possibly going in January are Tommy and Paine. Paine, if he gets an overseas contract offer and the club does not wish to stand in his way, plus bank some transfer fee.
If Mulvey really has a down on Ttommy he could release him from his contract and I am sure SFC would snap him up, especially if O'Neil gets an offer from Europe in January. I understand that Tommy is keen to stay in Australia.
Both these are probably unlikely but possible.

As to Millar, O'Neil, Rowles and Aspro (if he comes good). We are going to have to offer something special to make them sign with the wooden spoon club, when the likes of Ethiad City, Victory, SFC and even the Jets come with tempting offers. We did not do to well hanging onto TBT or Lachy, (or even DDS who was contracted) last year.

If someone does not get their skates on and tie up the bit of promising talent the Club has, then we are going to be trialling another record number of NPL players again next year.

Insertnamehere

I think the end of the season is what is worrying people. We will not let anyone go in January, however those whose contracts end in June 2019 can be approached with offers from other clubs.

At the end of the season I can see the possibility of us losing the 7 players I suggest elsewhere that Wombat wants to keep.

The only ones I see possibly going in January are Tommy and Paine. Paine, if he gets an overseas contract offer and the club does not wish to stand in his way, plus bank some transfer fee.
If Mulvey really has a down on Ttommy he could release him from his contract and I am sure SFC would snap him up, especially if O'Neil gets an offer from Europe in January. I understand that Tommy is keen to stay in Australia.
Both these are probably unlikely but possible.

As to Millar, O'Neil, Rowles and Aspro (if he comes good). We are going to have to offer something special to make them sign with the wooden spoon club, when the likes of Ethiad City, Victory, SFC and even the Jets come with tempting offers. We did not do to well hanging onto TBT or Lachy, (or even DDS who was contracted) last year.

If someone does not get their skates on and tie up the bit of promising talent the Club has, then we are going to be trialling another record number of NPL players again next year.
The question is which NPL players have failed us this yr? It's more the blokes who've had numerous HAL clubs who have underperformed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred