• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round Six Local Thread

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

T said:
Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
T said:
We did have 2 linesmen, but I don't think they really did much.... certainly did not call up foul throws.

It's not unusual for a ref to tell the AR he doesn't want to know about it, that he wants them all to himself :)  (especially when there's a fair chance your AR's will be first year refs) Some will have different interpretations of what constitutes a foul throw as well.  Or they may not have had the confidence to call up something like that.  Part and parcel of playing in the lower grades really. 

Pretty sure most would consider lifting the back foot a foul throw, even in the lower grades

I could repeat my post.....like I said, a lot of referees instruct the AR's to leave all foul throws to them, particularly if the AR is young and inexperienced.  The AR may simply have been following instructions - and some refs will have different tolerance levels of just how much lifting is allowed (not to mention that often complaints come when the foot is lifted just after the ball is released, which isn't an offence). 

If the ref tells the AR 'I want you to leave all foul throws to me', then proceeds to let almost anything go (which some do, particularly in the low grades, because there's often so many foul throws that they just choose to be a lot more lenient to let the game go), there isn't much the AR can do about it.  It is one of those things where you can have different tolerance levels. 

FFC Mariner

If you are officiating in a game with a lot of players who havent played before (or not much) then pinging every single foul throw just ruins the game for everyone IMHO.

Quite often the ref will let a lot go and only pull up the really obvious examples.

As to coaches, find someone in your team who can actually take throws and make them take all of them if it is an issue for your team.

Kareem

ah foul throws
until last year (u18s)- i had a perfect throw-in record (only took a few a season :p)
I have had 3 foul throws in last 12 months :S (play wing nowadays i guess)
the one on the weekend...extremely confusing
i took the throwin about 1.5-2 metres away from line- Killarney player shouted more than 1 metre ref- and I got called for a foul throw- it had to be a foul throw for something else- but the ref ignored my question for wat it was for...i hope it was for a proper infringement ::)

Ranyen

We had a problem with throw-ins. Some girls were lifting their foot off the ground. A few training sessions fixed that.

The funniest one I have ever seen was when a someone threw it in & don't step back onto the field, so it got passed back to them from the person it was thrown to. Ball was out & the opposition got it.

ryan

Kareem, I have been in the same situation, about 1.5 metres behind the line and it was given as a foul throw.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The law says 'where the ball left the field'.  As to how strict that's applied, it's up to the ref.  Some people have an idea that up to a metre is acceptable, I'm a bit more lenient.

But yes, a ref is perfectly entitled to call a foul throw if it's taken well behind the line - personally I wouldn't unless it was a few metres (and then depending on the situation).

I remember one great example at Southern a few years back, for some reason there was a huge mound of dirt right next to the field, half a metre off.  A player figured he'd be able to take the throw in from on top of the dirt pile :D

Heck, I've taken throws which I thought were perfect and still don't know what was wrong about them.  Doesn't mean the ref was wrong though.

Kareem

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
The law says 'where the ball left the field'.  As to how strict that's applied, it's up to the ref.  Some people have an idea that up to a metre is acceptable, I'm a bit more lenient.

But yes, a ref is perfectly entitled to call a foul throw if it's taken well behind the line - personally I wouldn't unless it was a few metres (and then depending on the situation).

I remember one great example at Southern a few years back, for some reason there was a huge mound of dirt right next to the field, half a metre off.  A player figured he'd be able to take the throw in from on top of the dirt pile :D

Heck, I've taken throws which I thought were perfect and still don't know what was wrong about them.  Doesn't mean the ref was wrong though.
i honestly dont know his reasoning- i am just very hopeful it wasnt the mythical '1 metre' rule which is in no law books
(although i think i read something about in an American Soccer Rules Book- almost a different game there :p)
simply put- if it was for foot off ground etc.- no complaint- just stupid me ;)
and obviously someone believed that 'rule'- the killarney player
then again 2 of my teammates thought it was allright to go in studs up for a slidetackle... ::)

Kareem

Gopher of Pern said:
The one time I've been pinged for a throw in I was a metre or 2 back from the sideline, just trying to get a quick throw-in.
yer- thats wat happened to me.
That said...i was rushing it so I may have done something else wrong- but the only i heard was from the opposition (1 metre ref etc.)

Ben

trev said:
I have started a Mens All Age 6 Group on Facebook if you want to join
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=82268877858
lol good work trev, i don't have facebook though

Ben

don't know what i did to my ankle on the weekend but its really sore today and looks like i won't get much of a run this weekend for the derby against doylo  :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred