• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 20 - Adelaide v CCM @ Coopers

Wombat

Do they tackle now? What's different, can they actually punch on or still just chest each other in a ridiculous fashion?

When I was working in Melbourne last year I had the misfortune to watch the first 5 minutes of some AFL game and these clowns kept running into each other and bumping chests and shoulders into each other like they were angry and retarded.
I've never seen such stupidity I'm my life....Barry Hall would have crumpled the 1st idiot that bardged into him.
I said to by Vic boss....what is this shit?? What the hell are they doing??
He said trying to unsettle the opposition. I shook my head and said "thank God I don't live in Vic" and have this drivel spoon fed to me from birth.

JoyfulPenguin

Do they tackle now? What's different, can they actually punch on or still just chest each other in a ridiculous fashion?
They still tackle, they can't kick backwards , only seven people each side and if you kick a goal from a certain distance it's a Zooper goal and you get 10 points. Thr weird chest punches still occur

Ozhammer

AFLX and BBL are just sports for the attention span deficient imo. Went to one BBL game and that was enough thanks.

I actually watch any game of sport to absorb the tactical aspects as much as the exciting moments but maybe I’m just old fashioned. :headbounce:

The scary thing is that the HAL has stagnated and a lot of folks are getting their hit from these new forms of the other codes, which doesn’t bode well unless the FFA can pull itself out of its nosedive.

Ozhammer

I am hearing that the club is on course to lose another $1M this season, despite spending the cap floor and selling Appiah.

Interestingly, I seem to recall that it lost about the same amount in 2013 when we were able to parade the toilet seat through Gosford.

If the financial end result of both seasons is effectively similar, which sort of one do you think folks would prefer?

Last edited:

Pirate Pete

I am hearing that the club is on course to lose another $1M this season, despite spending the cap floor and selling Appiah.

Interestingly, I seem to recall that it lost about the same amount in 2013 when we were able to parade the toilet seat through Gosford.

If the financial end result of both seasons, which sort of one do you think folks would prefer?

I'd say a lot has changed since 2013. I'm not sure you could compare the A league from then to now.

shipwreck

The Aleague model must be completely f**ked if we're spending at the salary floor, have a record number of members, no marquees and sold a bunch of home games to still lose a million dollars...

Ozhammer

I'd say a lot has changed since 2013. I'm not sure you could compare the A league from then to now.
I wasn’t comparing the league situation, merely trying illustrate that in the case of 2013, we had a far better team and certainly a far better season than more recently.

I get that there a whole lot of other factors but the underlying point is that MC spent less than he should have, we got a team that presntly sit in 9th place, have diminishing crowd numbers (and thus consequentially lower gate revenue), probably won’t make finals (and could even end up with the spoon if the Nix go on any kind of run) and are driving away casual and in some cases, long time fans.

Note to MC (in case there is any doubt) you don’t always save money by simply not spending it and I believe the apprpriate term is false economy.

Yoda

If the financial end result of both seasons is effectively similar, which sort of one do you think folks would prefer?
I’d love to know where the financial shortfall stems from. FFA grant obviously covers players wages, and if we are at the salary cap floor, that leaves money left over to help with administrative costs. You then have sponsorship and gate takings plus any other revenue streams. It is difficult to fathom that CCM still fall a million short.

pjennings

I’d love to know where the financial shortfall stems from. FFA grant obviously covers players wages, and if we are at the salary cap floor, that leaves money left over to help with administrative costs. You then have sponsorship and gate takings plus any other revenue streams. It is difficult to fathom that CCM still fall a million short.

I believe and @Shaun Mielekamp can correct me if I am wrong that we were looking at breaking even this year. The owners were asking for $6m from the media deal but were being promised $3.5m - $4m and more. If they had got $4m we would break even or better. At $3.5m you would think our squad strength would be better, we would probably have better crowds as a result and probably more sponsorship as well. Even at the that level we may well have broken even.

Pirate Pete

Reminder: free to air tonight - channel One. The channel streams it live too
Yeah well I usually stream the games but I just told my 17 year old daughter The Mariners were on tonight and I was having the big tellie.
Me:
icon_smug.gif

Her:
icon_mad.gif

Big Al

For those of you looking for the positives. I have this beauty for you.
  • The Mariners have won just one of their last 13 games played away from home, failing to find the back of the net six times in that period.

Big Al

Nix just scored in 91st minute.

In a game Castro tried a panenka and Velapi didn’t move and went straight to him

And now

We are bottom of the league

Pull off a surprise win and we go 8th

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

You’re right, I can see a positive! Our home record is at least better than something!

So Hoole LM I guess.

Expect SKAPETIS to come on for Powell at 60? Mind you we only have two attacking players on our bench...

Forum Phoenix

Nix just scored in 91st minute.

In a game Castro tried a panenka and Velapi didn’t move and went straight to him

And now

Yep. Off his bloody knee. The football gods are now starting to lay the boot in.

Big Al

You’re right, I can see a positive! Our home record is at least better than something!

So Hoole LM I guess.

Expect SKAPETIS to come on for Powell at 60? Mind you we only have two attacking players on our bench...
Pain on for TBT 75th and Hoole can move to RW if not there already

Wombat

I think we can beat Pissant FC. Defo would have started Skap but excited to see TBT start.

LFCMariners

So the Nix win, CCM bottom of the ladder, win tonight and they go up to 8th with momentum heading into the return home next weekend against the Nix...

I predict more of the same inept crap as Adelaide win 3-0 comfortably...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred