• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 19 - Adelaide United [A]

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I was really happy to see Clisby come good tonight. Sure, a few mistakes, as did everybody, but by large he did fairly well tonight.
Ziggy MoM for me. He's come a lot stronger in the last few weeks.

Ancient Mariner

Points to Staj and the 11 players tonight for turning the crap of the last few weeks around.
Shame we could not get the points.

Very, very frustrating for all concerned. Hurting badly.

Hard to be too positive but I saw enough tonight to hope we can build on some of what we have, rather than the, sack the coach and start again from scratch, rinse and repeat recipe.

Sorry to be a bit glass half full, but the team impressed me tonight and they deserved a better result.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

No need to apologise - tonight WAS much, much better than the last 5 or 6 weeks. Again, it's our lack of strikers - but there were a lot more positives tonight.
If we played more or less like this each week AND had just one, single, A-league quality striker. Not even a GOOD A-league quality striker, but somebody who is HAL quality, then we wouldn't even be thinking about the spoon and we'd be eyeing off the 6 instead.
f**k Charlesworth. He has absolutely destroyed this club.
Even if the team comes good on the field, I don't think the support will ever recover from his vandalism of this once-proud club.

Wombat

FFFUUUCCCKKKK....Feed the Muzz ...more like F**k The Muzz , pull the f**king trigger for once
I’m finally out of patience on Muzz

You kept the faith longer than most Recky. Dont feel bad.
I'm not saying he cant make the grade but this year is a f**king write off.

Insertnamehere

How scary is that. Thats how shit our forward stocks are when a bloke on zero goals must replace our 1st choice striker.
f**k you Charlesworth!!
1st choice striker yet again wouldn't shoot, passes none when in a 2 on 3 situation, butchers opportunities. Surely we've got a yoof striker worth blooding.

turbo

That was a tough one to take but only because we were actually in the game for once unlike the last few games.

Today we fielded a less experienced team than usual and showed a whole heap more heart than we have in weeks. The longest stretches of positive football in months so that is a positive that a few first team players could learn from.

Weemac will start again next week for sure. Tongyik did enough to retain his spot too IMO. Nisbet worked hard but possibly turned the ball over too many times so see what happens there.
Off the bench I thought Duric was a bit meh, better than last week but not the influence we needed. Also in one of the goals, I think it was the first he could have taken a yellow to stop the attack early.

I could be mad at Muzz but ultimately I feel it’s a bit like buying cheap tools and not getting the results you were expecting on a job. I’ve compared him to Blackwood a few times but tonight as the commentators said he’s had the best shot of his career and Muzz didn’t. Might be time to give Jair a few starts but the moral of the story is we need a clear first choice quality striker next season.

pjennings

I'm not going to bag the guys that played tonight - they all put in for the shirt. This also is not a time to blame Staj.

Even if the first half they looked more likely to score - not just because Murray seemed trigger-shy - they just had more threats. TBH every time they broke I was worried and the only time we looked like scoring was when Harold hit the bar.

Look at their starting front 6 - Blackwood, McGree, Halloran, Ospeth, Mileusinic & D'Arrigo - plenty attacking threats there

Sorry - but Murray, McGlinchey, Harold, Stens, Kim & Nisbet do not strike me with any fear.

They bring on a 15 year old who scores against us and we bring on Jair.

This is purely on a lack of money put into the squad - only Birraz, Kim & Ziggy (and possibly Harold when fit) of today's starting XI would expect to be regular starters at most other teams. The fact that we played well and lost is not a reflection on the character of the guys that played tonight - but really most of them are squad players.

Forum Phoenix

Yep Murray given plenty of chances. He is good in the lead up but no end product.

IMO his lead up play is still only average because he can't beat a player or hold up the ball. Can only head it on or turn and lay it off square. It's not enough at this level. He had 3 or 4, 1 on 1 situations with defenders, but he can't get past them or even in behind, and has to wait and square it off.

Lost count of the number of times I've shouted into the wind saying Muzz is not HAL level. So this is the last time I'm saying a word about him. (unless it's to congratulate him on one day proving me wrong and becoming a great striker) But it won't happen, because he clearly can't score from range, and the bigger issues are he can't turn and get a shot of quick enough, or make a yard for himself to get a shot off like all the good strikers can. And I can't see why there's any point having a striker coming off the bench who can't score either. If we want to win more games. We need a quality starting striker. And someone dangerous off the bench as a minimum.

Jair is faster, sharper and can beat a man. Thought he was good today. Harold Ditto. But I don't think either is good enough to be the key goal scorer we need.

Sucks to get nothing form that. Lots of positives in that game. Just such a shame we couldn't convert a few. Bottom line AU have the quality in the final third we lack.

Positives...

Miller missed the tackle for the set up to the goal, but damn I was impressed with him again. What a legend. Also while Ziggy failed to cover the baby in the box for their second, he was immense otherwise.

Birra, Stens, Kim and Weemac were all excellent. (Though the man marking shut Weemac out 2nd half)
Nizzy very good for the most part.
Ruon shaky start but some great moments and a good game overall.
Milan and Silvera looked interested this time when they came on.
Clisby is not an LM, but at least he's better higher up than at the back. Kim and Ruon did great work covering his side for the majority of the game.

Staj did a great job ringing in the changes and putting a starting 11 on the park who at least wanted to play and weren't pulling out from the 50/50's.

Last edited:

lewis27

Michael mcglinchey’s professionalism and mental strength is something to be admired,he was dropped from the squad after scoring a brace early in the season and has been frozen out by the manager ever since,why? A lesser man would put his head down at the poor treatment he has received.Came in out of the cold and he was brilliant ,bossed the game and has proved himself once again

Ancient Mariner

On each individual:
Birraz: We simply must sign him for the future. #1 on the shopping list. I would imagine he is waiting to see what he is offered elsewhere. We must match it.
Tongyik: A very good game I thought. Made a couple of mistakes, but better than Rowles defending set pieces. Deserves to keep his spot.
Ziggy: Great game. Getting better every week. One mistake ball watching and not being in the 12 year olds face, which allowed the second goal.
Clisby: His best game for a long while. Faded at the end and started to make errors while tired. Really not what we want, but contributed well for the most.
Miller: Excellent, back to the form that won him his contract. Still improving.
Kim: MOM. Really lifted with the armband and was everywhere in both defence and attack. I hope he stays for another year, but that could be wishful thinking.
Stens: A good game although he sails close to the wind with cards. I guess most DMs do. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.
Nizzy: I think along with Kim he was a major reason why our midfield looked better. He does not dwell on the ball and makes a good selection of quick passes which allows the team to keep going forward. He made a couple of poor passes, and was beaten a couple of times but he was playing much higher up the park than usual and handled it pretty well. He was also still running at the end. Very good motor.
McGlinchey: Played a great AM game. Provided great balls and options for Harold and Muzz. Showed his years of experience. With hindsight it appears he was the AM answer. He did not run with the ball and get into trouble but moved it quickly. I hope DDS was watching and can learn. Recognised as the threat and closed down in the 2nd half. Could have been MOM if not.
Harold: I am worried that he may have picked up a knock late in the 1st half, hence the sub. Hopefully just a lack of match fitness. Looks to be an excellent pick up.
Muzz: I was hoping that last night's performance was due to a lack of confidence. However, I think FP's summary could be accurate. either way, he has had his chances.
Jair: I watched him closely last night and can see plenty of experience and ability. I still want to see more and hope he starts in Muzz's place next week with a youngster as an attacking sub. He looked good on the ball and can beat a player. He may go missing at times, but he is a striker.

On Speed and Harper: That would have to have been one of the worst performances of anyone calling a game of football I have ever heard. I found it totally nauseating and that was before the second goal. Fox wonders why their A-League ratings are down. They do not have far to look.

Overall it was good to see the team going forward and dominating. We may get seriously caught on the counter in future games and hammered, but it is far superior than rolling over and dying. Way to go for the rest of the season.

booney

It must be the first time this season that Clisby has had some positive comments on this forum-deserved on last night's performance.I, like many others have been very harsh on Murray, and his lack of confidence in his own ability is sad.No one can fault his willingness to put himself about but as he is a striker he must shoot when he sees the chance-is he concerned that he will be criticised by the coach and team mates if he hits it wide or high?

Insertnamehere

I could be mad at Muzz but ultimately I feel it’s a bit like buying cheap tools and not getting the results you were expecting on a job. I’ve compared him to Blackwood a few times but tonight as the commentators said he’s had the best shot of his career and Muzz didn’t. Might be time to give Jair a few starts but the moral of the story is we need a clear first choice quality striker next season.

Man I've got a shed full of Ozito tools that
IMO his lead up play is still only average because he can't beat a player or hold up the ball. Can only head it on or turn and lay it off square. It's not enough at this level. He had 3 or 4, 1 on 1 situations with defenders, but he can't get past them or even in behind, and has to wait and square it off.

Lost count of the number of times I've shouted into the wind saying Muzz is not HAL level. So this is the last time I'm saying a word about him. (unless it's to congratulate him on one day proving me wrong and becoming a great striker) But it won't happen, because he clearly can't score from range, and the bigger issues are he can't turn and get a shot of quick enough, or make a yard for himself to get a shot off like all the good strikers can. And I can't see why there's any point having a striker coming off the bench who can't score either. If we want to win more games. We need a quality starting striker. And someone dangerous off the bench as a minimum.

Jair is faster, sharper and can beat a man. Thought he was good today. Harold Ditto. But I don't think either is good enough to be the key goal scorer we need.

Sucks to get nothing form that. Lots of positives in that game. Just such a shame we couldn't convert a few. Bottom line AU have the quality in the final third we lack.

Positives...

Miller missed the tackle for the set up to the goal, but damn I was impressed with him again. What a legend. Also while Ziggy failed to cover the baby in the box for their second, he was immense otherwise.

Birra, Stens, Kim and Weemac were all excellent. (Though the man marking shut Weemac out 2nd half)
Nizzy very good for the most part.
Ruon shaky start but some great moments and a good game overall.
Milan and Silvera looked interested this time when they came on.
Clisby is not an LM, but at least he's better higher up than at the back. Kim and Ruon did great work covering his side for the majority of the game.

Staj did a great job ringing in the changes and putting a starting 11 on the park who at least wanted to play and weren't pulling out from the 50/50's.
SS came on?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami