• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 19 - Adelaide United [A]

Tevor

I'm no football scholar (I readily admit) but given good keepers seem to have long careers in football, is it a bit unreasonable to think that Pearce would be a top-flight keeper at the age of 22? Surely, football brains smarter than us see potential and he has plenty of time to improve on aspects of his game in the next few seasons. By way of example, T Glover was anything but impressive in his time with us a couple of years ago and now commands City's number one spot only a few seasons later. I'm not saying Pearce is the same quality but surely he needs to be given time to develop and there is little doubt that being in the presence of Birraz and Van Stratten will assist in that development and building self-belief. I recall that Birraz ran straight to Pearce when we beat Western United 1-0 to end the "no clean-sheet" period. I agree that seems a lifetime ago but it suggests to me a bond there and presumably Pearce is soaking up whatever Birraz has to offer re guidance, tactics etc (i.e. we all benefit from a good mentor). I am not defending Pearce, I just want to see him given the chance to develop given his age and limited experience to date. Thoughts anyone?
Pearce and Birraz we’re together all the time at the airport as well as Van Stratton. They had a little shot topper thing going and didn’t mix with the main groups at all. So I think you have a point.

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

I'm no football scholar (I readily admit) but given good keepers seem to have long careers in football, is it a bit unreasonable to think that Pearce would be a top-flight keeper at the age of 22? Surely, football brains smarter than us see potential and he has plenty of time to improve on aspects of his game in the next few seasons. By way of example, T Glover was anything but impressive in his time with us a couple of years ago and now commands City's number one spot only a few seasons later. I'm not saying Pearce is the same quality but surely he needs to be given time to develop and there is little doubt that being in the presence of Birraz and Van Stratten will assist in that development and building self-belief. I recall that Birraz ran straight to Pearce when we beat Western United 1-0 to end the "no clean-sheet" period. I agree that seems a lifetime ago but it suggests to me a bond there and presumably Pearce is soaking up whatever Birraz has to offer re guidance, tactics etc (i.e. we all benefit from a good mentor). I am not defending Pearce, I just want to see him given the chance to develop given his age and limited experience to date. Thoughts anyone?
Cough cough, redmayne.

Pirate Pete

The market is better than last off season though. Afaik there are some decent back ups coming off contract that might want to lock in first team football. Acton is one that comes to mind. That said Moss retiring opens up a spot, Macarthur coming in so who knows. 6th visa spot softens the sting if we do need to go abroad assuming that happens.

Cant say I’m surprised about Birraz probably going. How could we hope to keep him with what we’ve been asking of him and delivering in terms of results?
Acton is the one I was thinking of as a replacement. I wonder if Jess would know him from his time in Melbourne?
Surely they'll contact of some kind between the clubs. Who knows?
I was thinking it might be the challenge Acton would be up for having spent much of his time as number 2.
That is guaranteed first team football behind a less than solid defence.
All depending on what Lawrence Thomas's plans are I suppose. It's probably time he looked overseas.

Ancient Mariner

I think a couple of very valid points have been made by the preceding posts. Look at Redders now compared to the past. Keepers definitely develop with age.
However, I think we would be buying troubles with Janjetovic. SFC were not happy with him which is why they swapped for Redders and he has been a problem for WSW. I would not go near him.

Ironbark

Pearce and Birraz we’re together all the time at the airport as well as Van Stratton. They had a little shot topper thing going and didn’t mix with the main groups at all. So I think you have a point.
Is the segregating of concern do we think?
Arnie's Mariners were famous for their close bonds as a group - it was something he made a point of - and we saw the cohesiveness and fight for each other on the field.
I am starting to wonder if it's a necessary ingredient for teams to punch above their weight. Not the only ingredient, but a necessary one.

We haven't had it, it appears, since the days of Lawrie and Arnie.

Big Al

Is the segregating of concern do we think?
Arnie's Mariners were famous for their close bonds as a group - it was something he made a point of - and we saw the cohesiveness and fight for each other on the field.
I am starting to wonder if it's a necessary ingredient for teams to punch above their weight. Not the only ingredient, but a necessary one.

We haven't had it, it appears, since the days of Lawrie and Arnie.
I think it’s safer to seperate them as keepers can be very handsie.

FFC Mariner

Pearce isnt even first choice in CCMA. Was an outfield player into his teens. Munford is a far better keeper.
Having seen him a bit id be chucking sacks of cash at Italiano

pjennings

Now that Crawley has left Sydney as soon as their defence starts being so dominant I suspect Redmayne will crumble. Some keepers are mentally strong - think Maty and Danny. Some while good shot-stoppers crumble after mistakes. Think Kennedy. Crawley constantly was encouraging Redmayne. To my mind more of Kennedy than a Maty. Ditto for Glover who for mine had little to do for the Olyroos winning the last tournament and yet made me nervous every time he was put under pressure..

marinermick

Now that Crawley has left Sydney as soon as their defence starts being so dominant I suspect Redmayne will crumble. Some keepers are mentally strong - think Maty and Danny. Some while good shot-stoppers crumble after mistakes. Think Kennedy. Crawley constantly was encouraging Redmayne. To my mind more of Kennedy than a Maty. Ditto for Glover who for mine had little to do for the Olyroos winning the last tournament and yet made me nervous every time he was put under pressure..

Makes hanging on to Van Stratten as important as Birraz.

If there is a coaching rift than losing Jess is a major concern.

jacobsfl

9 fixtures remaining and we're 3 wins outside of the top 6

7 of these are games against teams we are at capacity to compete with. Given our performance against Adelaide, if we encourage Jair to start shooting at the goal we have genuinely got a fighting chance

I dunno, call me crazy, but I believe top 6 isn't completely out of the question given our draw. Let's just start scoring!

Dodz

7 of these are games against teams we are at capacity to compete with. Given our performance against Adelaide, if we encourage Jair to start shooting at the goal we have genuinely got a fighting chance

I dunno, call me crazy, but I believe top 6 isn't completely out of the question given our draw. Let's just start scoring!
We have to stop changing the team every week, need more stability and continue playing like that.
We should have used the advantage when defenders were tied up marking McGlinchey.
The damage came when he was subbed freeing up Blackwood to score.
Ziggy was brilliant!

We have to stop changing the team every week, need more stability and continue playing like that.
We should have used the advantage when defenders were tied up marking McGlinchey.
The damage came when he was subbed freeing up Blackwood to score.
Ziggy was brilliant!

Pirate Pete

I've said before that little rainbow ain't big enough.
Here you go.....

raf-750x1000-075-t-fafafa-ca443f4786-u1.jpg

Josho Howe

First away game in Adelaide, will watch the replay when I get home but had a fantastic evening despite the result with plenty of laughs from Josho and the other lads. Also hats off to the bag piper who gave us something extra on the night. Wasn’t expecting such a good away bay and left me with some pride in the club despite not being able to win a game we dominated at times.

Recommend the AU away game to anyway if they are interested in an interstate game.

At the airport and plane is delayed, players are catching the same plane.

Haven't had a chance to be on the forum until now, but wanna say a big thanks to everyone who came to the pub pre game. I did the trip solo so the company was much appreciated. It was great having a few laughs and chatting about the state of the club with like minded fans like yourself and a few others. We all walked to the stadium together and cracked jokes like when we lined up to get into the ground and l and a couple others loudly said ''WE DON'T HAVE LINE UPS TO GET AT HOME'' or ''IMAGINE LINING UP TO GET IN, WOULDN'T BE US'' or ''WHERE THE HELL ARE YOUR SAUCE BOTTLES''.

I really enjoyed Coopers as well. The stadium and the beer. That is a proper football ground ladies and gents and it's only second to AAMI Park in my A-League stadium rank list. As always, an away day has the alcohol and lots of banter and fun in the bay so it was a good time all round. I woke up extremely dusty yesterday morning after being out at the Woolshed pub till 2am.

Honestly, l love doing away days more for the experience in a place l don't go to often, the game is just one of the reasons i'm there. I like travelling and using CCM as a vehicle to do that is something l really enjoy. Highly recommend to everyone that whenever you get the chance to go to Adelaide, just do it. Or Melbourne away. Victory away in April. I'm in for that one too of course.

Big Al

Crazy

Also we haven’t won 2 games in a row little own one game since eve started eating apples

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

My entire experience in Adelaide was a stopover each way on my Christmas holiday overseas - but I thought it was pretty awesome how on our runway approach, we could see the stadium off to the right - and quite clearly too; it's fairly close and we see it when fairly low down.
And the seats with AUFC spelled in them - fantastic.

Tevor

My entire experience in Adelaide was a stopover each way on my Christmas holiday overseas - but I thought it was pretty awesome how on our runway approach, we could see the stadium off to the right - and quite clearly too; it's fairly close and we see it when fairly low down.
And the seats with AUFC spelled in them - fantastic.
Very easy to access the stadium on a free tram from the city, about a 15 min trip. Their supporters were pleasant and always willing to help you know how to get to stadium. I had a good chat with a guy who used to be in the Red Army on the tram trip. Just remember a schooner is called a pint otherwise you get a middy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred