• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 18 - CCM v Roar @ Gosford

LFCMariners

What I saw last night that was promising was a healthy youth contingent in Bay 16. I imagine quite a few of them will stick around and carry the baton when the time comes.

I also miss the days when Bay 16 was standing room only- that final against the Jest in '08 will stay with me forever. At times the whole Bay was rocking and it was difficult to stay upright- when Sash scored the 3rd goal I fell into the row of seats in front of me with a nasty bruise on my leg to show for it. I don't know whether it was the hibernation to Bay 23, poor results in 2009-10 or the bite of the GFC, but that memorable 3-0 match against the Jest almost 10 years ago is the last time I remember Bay 16 being full like that...since then the active support has moved away, come back again, CCM have had other great finals at that venue- but never with a full bay like that. I miss those days...

But saying that, for numbers the YA do a great job. This season a few times I've thought "What that bay would sound like full with at least 80% getting involved...". If the HAL wasn't such a clusterf**k with low confidence in the game (not CCM's fault) and the Mariners had that old resilience to them and would usually get the win at home (100% CCM's fault) then I imagine we could be closer to re-creating the glory days...

Gratis

...I found the entire exercise fairly depressing and it started me wondering about the Mariners' culture we used to have and where it has gone. And also the place of CCM in the League...
This is what gets me. The team behind the scenes are doing a fine job and should be applauded. But unfortunately it's the team on the field that I'm invested in sharing the journey with and the team I used to be so proud of is long long gone

Coast Football Ramble

I went to bay 16 last night with the point of making contact with old friends from the active group from V1 all those years ago.
The only one I found was Jimmy (definitely worth more money).
We discussed old names and who was where from the glory days of the Marinators.
Some have moved to better views (like me), some we had no idea about and some (no Names had defected).
No one I approached even could point out Wombat in Bay 15.
I wandered further afield looking for familiar faces and could not find any.

I found the entire exercise fairly depressing and it started me wondering about the Mariners' culture we used to have and where it has gone. And also the place of CCM in the League.

Has it gone with the original hard core or have the hard core gone because the culture left.

Anyway I am feeling old, depressed and despondent at he moment.

To Peter and Jimmy, carry on the good fight guys there are many of us relying on you.

It was good to see you mate, I wish a lot more of the old guard would come and join us, even to say hello.
-Jimmy

style_cafe

The R.E.M. Song was funny.

What was with the people in the stands and even Brissy fans lighting up in solidarity?

(Also last home game what was the silent protest about?)

Style, we had to bend down to read the time from Bay 17.......they must have had the bloke that looks after the water pipes on the peninsula in charge of the screen.

I had the same problem mate.
From where I sit (behind the bevy stand) eastern side concourse level, the time clock was blocked by the upright & the crossbar.
As I`m a repeat offender complaining about the clock (and rightly so) i`m beginning to think someone has it in for me .... :tinfoilhat:

style_cafe

From the players persective: ok we stuffed up & gave away 2 goals
From the coaches perspective : The boys made 2 fundamental errors which cost us the game.We know we have to get better.
From the fans prespective: You took a knife & stabbed me in the heart not once but twice to make sure I was dead

Yoda

I also miss the days when Bay 16 was standing room only- that final against the Jest in '08 will stay with me forever. At times the whole Bay was rocking and it was difficult to stay upright- when Sash scored the 3rd goal I fell into the row of seats in front of me with a nasty bruise on my leg to show for it. I don't know whether it was the hibernation to Bay 23, poor results in 2009-10 or the bite of the GFC, but that memorable 3-0 match against the Jest almost 10 years ago is the last time I remember Bay 16 being full like that...since then the active support has moved away, come back again, CCM have had other great finals at that venue- but never with a full bay like that. I miss those days...
Many became disillusioned with FFA when Mariners "lost" the right to host the GF and it was taken to SFS, perpetuated by the outcome of said GF. Sadly I don't think crowds have been the same since. Even in the Arnie era when winning was a habit we had the 4 or 5 thousand "bolted on" fans plus 2 or 3 thousand casuals to each game.

bikinigirl

. the funny thing is, i didn't even realise how shit we were :piralaugh:

. there are a number of reasons i can think of :
  • we are so ineffectual in the front third, i didn't see anything out of the ordinary to raise my ire
  • the goals conceded were our usual gift (which to be fair is a part of the game ... if we could only score, it wouldn't be such a problem)
  • macaroni* being the target of much of my abuse for his efforts from the springboard
  • being distracted by the old boy behind us boiling over with rage at 'the green muppet' (i was honestly surprised by the the vocabulary)
* yes i know that is the correct incorrect spelling

bikinigirl

. with regard to our goals conceded:
  • seriously! what was kennedy thinking?
  • and melling ... i am a little surprised he hasn't copped more on here. he has only played a few games and has been directly responsible for a couple of result changing goals
. i s'pose people are going a little easy on melling because he seems to be putting the effort in ... and that is not evident in a lot of our boys at the moment. it has finally come to the point where i miss monty - nobody wants to take responsibility for the need to do something heroic to lift the team

pjennings

Many became disillusioned with FFA when Mariners "lost" the right to host the GF and it was taken to SFS, perpetuated by the outcome of said GF. Sadly I don't think crowds have been the same since. Even in the Arnie era when winning was a habit we had the 4 or 5 thousand "bolted on" fans plus 2 or 3 thousand casuals to each game.

That is always underestimated. We had fans that would have been rusted on if it had been held here - instead the FFA spurned them never to be seen again. Let alone the opportunity to showcase the Mariners in a major event on the Coast that likely would have attracted a sell-out plus at least an additional 20,000 to a live site.

nebakke

I feel so empty after this match. Watching Okon on the sidelines and he had no urgency, no desire to push the team forward to get a goal. It summed it up for me when Appiah went down with cramp and it took us 2-3 minutes to get Buhagier onto the pitch.

Possession football is so frustrating to watch, especially the way we play it. When your down 2-1 with 5 minutes to go and your passing it back to your GK :fireup:. Can someone please tell Da Silva he can pass the ball (unless he is having a shot!)

They wonder why only 5200 people turned up. I'm a die hard Mariners fan and I can't even get excited for next weeks game against the Wanderers, so how would a "sometimes" fan feel?

Rant done

I'm angry, frustrated and plain ole disheartened but... That's a bit harsh on Okon... I sit right behind the bench, and he spent a lot of the game yelling at the team to move and pass the ball faster, trying to guide them on where to go - and in most cases he was pointing in the right direction... One memorable outburst from that last five minutes - directed at Jolic was the "FFS I TOLD them to speed it up!"...
As for the Buhagiar change - Trent was being called back almost immediately when Appiah went down, but something happened on the field - can't remember right now, but maybe we got the ball back and might be in with a chance or something? Trent was being running through tactical info with Jolic and they looked like they had the change lined up. I'm not sure it could have happened much faster/better tbh.

As for the rest, I couldn't agree more... I don't think I have ever left a game feeling this empty about the team... One of the guys that I sit with is starting to seriously reconsider signing up next year - considering his hour-long commute for each game... Not because of the loss, but because it feels so uncaring and disorganised on the pitch and I can't say I blame him. If I was looking for disappointment, I could just stay at home and look in the mirror ;)

nebakke

I don't know if a striker would fix much at this point, we rarely create anything a striker could capitalise on. So disappointed with last night, could not believe Skapetis didn't come on. Was there a reason for that??

Wait what? Half the problem has been the amount of clear chances on goal that have been faffed... To my mind we have been averaging at least two-a-game of the types of chances that you wouldn't have thought anyone could miss... Think of the number of times that you've seen a Lachie Wales-type opportunity burned, now imagine a Berisha-in-his-prime type on the end of them... We'd have won most of our games this season.

But that's before whatever it is that is going on now, set in... So who knows?

nebakke

The reason was storms sub. limited him to only one further sub effectively forcing Okon in to choosing between him and Trent. Should not have been the case.

I reckon the Storm sub goes back a bit more than "just" the game... I reckon he punted, playing Rosie - maybe the Ramble guys are right, he's trying to protect Rowles a bit... I think he thought Rosie ought to be able to keep up with Roar, of all teams... He wasn't, so something had to be done...
I'm not actually that unhappy with this particular Storm swap, because I think Rosie needed to come off, but I do reckon that Kye Rowles would have done better from the start, assuming of course that he could have played the full 90 against an ageing Brisbane Roar. If that had been the approach, Storm would not have been put on and things might have been somewhat different.

TedShot

honestly I think the best way for the club to get the fans (particularly on here) back onside would be to f**ken just let us vote on and choose the squad and lineup. seasons basically buggered anyways. its either gonna show the club something different and work, or its gonna prove us all wrong. i see that as a win win for the club.

Would also be great for marketing, and getting some interest in watching the game. be the community club.

localpom

IMO we are lacking a real leader (think Monty,Hutch). Not just on the field but off it as well, building culture etc. I was hoping we would have one in one of Alan B, Tommy H or Wout. Baro and Tommy seem quieter types and Wout as we have seen has the odd brain snap. When the team needs some calm or needs driving forward, i'm not convinced anyone is doing this. You always saw Monty orchestrating things. Good leaders are hard to come by but i would say that is high priority for next season unless Baro ( who does seems a great guy) or someone else demonstrates great leadership. That and a striker.....
Like everyone else, was gutted after that performance. Wout's horrible tackle was un-Mariner like and was worse than the result for me.
To put things in perspective though, 2 months ago, after the Perth win i thought we had finally turned things around. There seemed a real positivity around the place. So....a couple of wins would put much of this to right, but we need it to happen and fast.

LFCMariners

I didn't think they'd turned anything around after the Perth win. There was too much passing around at the back, not enough go-forward and they were lucky to walk away with a victory that afternoon. Too much passing back and forth at the back and what appears to be over-thinking and over-playing potential scoring opportunities are costing the team right now.

I'm also interested to know if anybody has actually spoken to somebody who said "I would've been on-board and come to games every week if the FFA hadn't screwed us over and taken the GF to Sydney in '08"- or something similar?

localpom

I didn't think they'd turned anything around after the Perth win. There was too much passing around at the back, not enough go-forward and they were lucky to walk away with a victory that afternoon. Too much passing back and forth at the back and what appears to be over-thinking and over-playing potential scoring opportunities are costing the team right now.

I'm also interested to know if anybody has actually spoken to somebody who said "I would've been on-board and come to games every week if the FFA hadn't screwed us over and taken the GF to Sydney in '08"- or something similar?
Agree it wasn't the best performance, but i think it put us to 4th, we had just had back to back wins for the first time in how long......walking out of the ground there was a feeling that maybe there was something happening. Since then, unfortunately, with the exception of the draw at Sydney maybe, we have gone backwards fast. Not helped of course by injuries and no DDS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred