• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 17 - Sydney away

Forum Phoenix

I would play him off the bench for the rest of the season, coming on at the 60 or 70 minute mark.

I also think that as a winger he brings more to the team than Andrew Hoole. I am convince that striker is Hoole's position. I am also convinced that striker is TBT's position. Why do we need another striker? We have heaps of them but no one realises it.

Having said that I am now running out of wingers. Let's see more Lachy. Or even Storm.

I agree on TBT. Hoole I think I can see your reasoning, has a good strike, can go past players, does take up good positions and loves to shoot. That about right?

Re Appiah, this kid absolutely kills me. JP nailed it when he quipped before that if he could shoot and cross he’d be too expensive for us. I think that’s very true.

It’s not fair to say he’s just an athlete, like an Austin, he has more skill, a better touch and defends way better and never gives up. You know who he reminds me of... (now don’t call me racist) Antonio Valencia when he was younger. As a winger he was very frustrating, while fast and very powerful and though he crossed pretty well back then still, he did not make good decisions very often and you could not rely on his shooting at all.

At RB though he has become a sensation, and with the time it’s given him in a secured position, he had grown and grown. His crossing is now deadly and his shooting has improved markedly also.

I think Appiah could make for a hell of a wing back. Just focus on his crossing and he would be a very dangerous player in any side. But presently as a winger who can’t shoot and makes terrible decisions re his final ball... in attack he’s one big step forward, but then two back. Hard to take, and it’s one of those things which is always going to frustrate the shit out of fans I think.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s fair to say he’s not HAL quality either when he can blow past great defenders like Wilko and murder Zullo etc, but when he destroys his own great work so often, it becomes an opportunity cost for someone else in his position who may even create less opportunities but will play the right ball to Hoole in the perfect position waiting on the spot, if and when he gets that chance.

Last edited:

Gratis

Appiah creates a lot with his speed, power and effort.
He creates chances for others as defences have to put resources into stopping him leaving others more opportunity.
But he is almost guaranteed to ruin the final ball, be it a cross, pass, throughball or shot.
For now, that is until he develops that part of his game, he needs to be a RW sub. Bring on what he does at 60-70 mins to bludgeon his way through.

Edit: having read FP's post after writing this - he could very well make a good RB.

Gratis

After tonight the line up for me is a no brainer:

Skapetis
Hoole - DDS - Wales
Wout* - Tommy
Rose - Baro - Golec - McGing
Bench: Powell, Melling, Appiah, Trent
*if available

I'm loving how much I've come to rate McGing. The RB position is his to lose now. Pushes Roux even out of a bench spot for mine.
Reality is though you do need Roux on the bench for defensive cover. Guess Trent has to make way.
Be an even harder choice when Pain is back for bench spots
Melling has been solid too and deserves plenty more game time.

greenlig

Melling has made two shit passes, one resulted in a goal against. Apart from that he's been really good, not quite as cultured as Wout with passing, but very very effective. Unlucky to lose his spot I reckon.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah I love that. And was thinking while reading that with a striker on the bench already, only change is Roux for Trent. Though I get it’s a shame to leave out Trent.

That said, while I want to be wrong, I’m scared okon will persist with Powell up top, He played well again tonight, but again, he cannot create an opportunity for himself etc. Skapetis, in 25 minutes though, you could clearly tell can and will. We desperately need that.

Forum Phoenix

Melling has made two shit passes, one resulted in a goal against. Apart from that he's been really good, not quite as cultured as Wout with passing, but very very effective. Unlucky to lose his spot I reckon.

He is. But he does. Great to have proper cover and he’ll get good minutes pulling off whichever Dutchie seems tired week to week.

Spacks

In all seriousness, we could have had a winning team if we didnt get 2 defensive midfielders. 1 Tommy + $$ on a striker.

Forum Phoenix

So, the best team of the last few years can't beat us, got 1 point out of 6 against us and they were lucky to get that.

(Just taking a moment to gloat - it's all we've got at this stage, been lean pickings for way too long)

I think we could have a nice run home and make the finals, and then anything can happen. Especially if we sign a proven quality striker.

pjennings

After tonight the line up for me is a no brainer:

Skapetis
Hoole - DDS - Wales
Wout* - Tommy
Rose - Baro - Golec - McGing
Bench: Powell, Melling, Appiah, Trent
*if available

I'm loving how much I've come to rate McGing. The RB position is his to lose now. Pushes Roux even out of a bench spot for mine.
Reality is though you do need Roux on the bench for defensive cover. Guess Trent has to make way.
Be an even harder choice when Pain is back for bench spots
Melling has been solid too and deserves plenty more game time.

I think Liam will make the bench

Ancient Mariner

I think we could have a nice run home and make the finals, and then anything can happen. Especially if we sign a proven quality striker.

I would like to agree with you but I am still scared about the previously demonstated lack of consistency from week to week.

However, I now think the squad has been significantly strengthened over January. Hopefully good times ahead.

Finish the season with a wet sail and a few further tweaks for next season which becomes Okon's year and we lead from the front.

Timmah

Given the mediocrity of the league, there are literally 5 teams battling it out for sixth place. It's insane.

Of the five, I believe we have the most potential - but realising it is another thing. If we can build on that result we should be cruising past WSW and sitting in the six within a few weeks.

If not, well, it's up to us to head off Wellington for the dreaded utensil

Gratis

Ye. I had a lot of hope after our last Sydney game and a couple of the Well & Perth games that come not long after. Then horror run and inconsistencies. And games like Newcastle where we smashed them, red card, lose 2-0...

I'm happy right now but not going to get TOO excited this time. I'll wait til I see it

Gratis

On Appy - Okon said in the presser: "And in the end if Kabbsy [Appiah-Kubi] had of cut the ball back to Hooley [Andrew Hoole] it's an empty goal tap in and we go away with three points."

He noted it.
Conversely, in the clubs press release it's all glowing praise for Appiah. He did contribute a lot in the game (up to the final third). I imagine Okon sticks with him because he assumes it's only a matter of time before he gets that part of his game right. If/when he does he'd better bloody well hang around for a bit and reward us for our patience and suffering!

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I will be the first to admit , i think kwabi is a technique free zone and aside from not looking around and seeing Hoole and telling Hoole to f**k off for being in a goal scoring possie , he had a decent game, he caused a smidge of havoc down his side, but like the rest of the front line, including Powelly whose a bench guy at best , kwabs gets within cooey of the goal and botches it, Lachie is gonna have nightmares for a week after that miss, but a had a great game , BK , Golec and El Capitan had a pretty good game , hell Rose the Elder even had his moments , Tom was his usual stellar (All Hail Hairejism) Smelling was outstanding , Hoole im still not convinced about and Skapetis kicked a ball for 13 minutes ....we pretty much got the good required to scare the shit out of the comp, we just gots to get that front 3 angry, SO, whoever is doing the shopping , better take a day off and let somebody else get the new strikers....but im happy from the last two games , we didnt get whooped unmercifully, which i thought we would , never happier to be wrong

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred