• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Road to Brazil

Forum Phoenix

Players like Williams, Lowry, Rogic, Oar, Leckie, Ruka etc should all have more caps and minutes by now. But Holger's brief is to "get us to" the WC. So he's never had an eye on our long term development. If he did, the he would not have been starting the usual suspects against bloody Scotland for example.

You can't tell me Brosque is a better prospect than Leckie. Or North/Og/Cornthwaite over Sainsbury. Or Thwaite over Herd... or Holland over Mooy.
All those players are better now, and have a much stronger future. IF INVESTED IN AND DEVELOPED.

I think there are still enough players in the squad to get the job done. I think Franjic os a good inclusion, Rogic to get some proper minutes. Mile is on fire, and
Lucas should have been dropped with Mile as new captain.

Holger out.

sydmariner

Players like Williams, Lowry, Rogic, Oar, Leckie, Ruka etc should all have more caps and minutes by now. But Holger's brief is to "get us to" the WC. So he's never had an eye on our long term development. If he did, the he would not have been starting the usual suspects against bloody Scotland for example.

You can't tell me Brosque is a better prospect than Leckie. Or North/Og/Cornthwaite over Sainsbury. Or Thwaite over Herd... or Holland over Mooy.
All those players are better now, and have a much stronger future. IF INVESTED IN AND DEVELOPED.

I think there are still enough players in the squad to get the job done. I think Franjic os a good inclusion, Rogic to get some proper minutes. Mile is on fire, and
Lucas should have been dropped with Mile as new captain.

Holger out.
what about putting kewell as captain he has experiance & done it before

Forum Phoenix

what about putting kewell as captain he has experiance & done it before

Captain no. But I think Holger had absolutely nothing to lose by taking Harry into the last camp to assess him, and only something that he may have gained.

Everyone keeps saying only three games in the last year. But those games were in the last three months. Putting him in line with several other selections. And they wouldn't have been starting him if he wasn't fit. But if he proved not fit enough in the camp. Fine, don't select him. Logical.

But if Holger wants to play the experience card in defence of a host of other selections, Then Harry, love him or hate him, is the most experienced big game player we have. In the Asian cup was arguably our best. And unlike the vast majority of our squad, he's actually capable of scoring against Japan. Even just off the bench. That's a pretty big plus if you ask me.

Past his prime. Yes. Should we still need to be looking to players like Harry. No. But in this squad, there's any number of players I would rather have him on the bench over.

dibo

Meanwhile, from the vid Musti is looking very tidy, but there's nobody in front of him who can finish a sandwich. Musti could have had at least four assists if someone could finish.

sydmariner

Captain no. But I think Holger had absolutely nothing to lose by taking Harry into the last camp to assess him, and only something that he may have gained.

Everyone keeps saying only three games in the last year. But those games were in the last three months. Putting him in line with several other selections. And they wouldn't have been starting him if he wasn't fit. But if he proved not fit enough in the camp. Fine, don't select him. Logical.

But if Holger wants to play the experience card in defence of a host of other selections, Then Harry, love him or hate him, is the most experienced big game player we have. In the Asian cup was arguably our best. And unlike the vast majority of our squad, he's actually capable of scoring against Japan. Even just off the bench. That's a pretty big plus if you ask me.

Past his prime. Yes. Should we still need to be looking to players like Harry. No. But in this squad, there's any number of players I would rather have him on the bench over.
what about kenneddy ? he plays in the j-league

Forum Phoenix

Kennedy can score (though he's had a tough year with injury) I'm glad he's back, but he is also limited and very dependent on the right kind of service. Wilkshire is out of form for mind so I'm hoping Franjic may help our Timmy/Knnedy aerial attack. But we have precious few players who can create something from nothing, especially against a team like Japan. Harry is one. Bresc another. Tommy too for mine. You need this, or otherwise someone as disciplined and skilful as Japan will all too easily nullify us, especially if we go with two DM's as has been our want, and bomb in crosses from poor positions.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah great vision and balls by Musti. Even if he never breaks through at BD, to be there in this period will put him in the best of stead and he should have a very big future in the socceroos.

midfielder

If we lose badly to Japan should we replace Holger for the remaining two games? If so with who?

Arguably ..... Arnold, Fraina, Poppa, Ange.

Arnold has previous experience and is a much better coach today than he was when he was last national coach. Has at A-League level an ability to develop a tactical game plan by analysing their play.

Fraina again a previous coach, has a proven track record in turning around sides quickly.

Popa a new coach with huge tactical ability.

Ange arguably the most successful coach in the A-League. Heaps of technical and tactical knowledge but IMO struggles to turn a side around quickly.

My vote is for Arnold as coach Poppa as assistant coach. These guys like and respect each other and both know how to build up a solid defence both understand Asia.

dibo

Arnie (though frankly I'd be equally happy with Ange or Poppa, or even if they went tag-team on the buggers).

They can go into camp at the COE, their lunch can be sandwiches in a hut and they can learn something about pride in the badge on the front of the shirt, not just the name on the back.

I think Arnie and Poppa would be a super pairing. No room for prima donnas, just discipline and determination.

Reactions: T

FFC Mariner

Arnie may not sit well with some of the older players.

Ange and Poppa dream team

Bottom line #HolgerOut

I note that Lowy has already started defending such a disasterous appointment by saying he was mainly hired for his ability to develop other coaches.

midfielder

Just want to rant a little.... fark the media it's as if the game was not on... from what I have read the audience is estimated to be over 500 million.... and in Japan it's all that is being talked about and they have had to have a lottery for seats to the game...

Early evening was with a client and we drove from Ettalong to the Entrance and then back ... he insisted on listening to radio 2UE their sports show ... hardly a mention of the Socceroo match and was a blue night code for SOPO .... just gives in the shits our last two games in China alone had over 50 million each game watching arguably the biggest cultural exchange between the two countries this year ... yet no mention...

Just as an aside Ch 7's share price was $ 5.00 when they brought the AFL rights and said they were going to be a lost leader for a game that is watched in three states ... today it's worth $ 2.16 or 43.2% of the pre AFL deal... so maybe there is some revenge ...

OK rant over ....

Forum Phoenix

A much better performance for sure. But lets face facts, they couldn't get too much worse.
Realistically, we played defensively quite well, with a few decent counter attacks, but that's it. Japan dominated in every other regard. We're just lucky they can't finish, and that Brosque was injured, Holman was having a "good" day, we still have Scwharzer and Tommy Oar didn't hit an accurate cross all game ;)

The fact Japan has only one player in that squad from their last WC team compared to Australia is very telling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred