• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd CCMariners v Broar

Ancient Mariner

From Brisbane 0.1.

The Eye Test.

Austin 8, RoryO 3, Fitzg 6, Monty 4, Lrose 7, post 4, Ash 6, JRose 6 , Izz 4 , Storm 4, Jake 7 ,............sim 5, Fab 6, Car 6

Coach 8

Ref 3

Sorry I posted the detail/reasons on 191.......Tony W Yellow army thread

Doesn't matter where you post it, you missed a lot of the game.

Wombat

I am left scratching my head. Is there purpose to these team selections? The reasoning does escape me for many of the changes. We have had at least four if not five different central defence combo’s.

Clearly TW completely restructured this week, trying not to lose in place of trying to win. I wonder what his motivation is. This is confusing based on the 10 point gap we have to 6th place, we need to win. He parked the bus and still lost. Of course we looked better defensively with 10 behind the ball!

Posco has been a beacon at CB only to be moved to RB, a position requiring greater fitness this, after a week off with injury (assumed). The real story is more like that TW wanted to close down Roar’s main attacking threat which is on our right with McKay, Broich and Stefanutto interworking i.e. we had 2 x right backs to accommodate them.

Please put both Roux and Posco back where they belong. Posco in place of Ashcroft. Ashcroft is enthusiastic and raw but he does not have a decision making problem, he simply doesn’t make any, got caught ball watching again. I love Rose snr but I am worried, I think he is struggling physically, he still reads the game very well and straight line speed is still great but his agility and turning are very slow, I don’t think it is age, I just wonder how bad his knee injury is, he could not go with Petratous sideways.

The game plan was simple, park the bus, attack long and left, delay and waste time at every opportunity, sit on their left side of attack and make them go around or over us in attack. Our only attacking outlet was long and left, this is ok if we hold the ball in the attacking third for long periods.

Credit where credit is due, Austin has been better the last two weeks, he is getting his head up more, however, he still wastes way too much possession which consequently puts us under pressure. He also needs to learn how to kick with his right peg.

O’Donovan – should have buried at least one if not two very good opportunities. A strong Manager would have benched him weeks ago. Tries very hard but does not have the quality, give Bingham a go he has more upside and potential or, as I have said before, put Austin at the point, he could prove a sensation with his pace if he can kick straight and has a one track mindset to just shoot.

Last is Rose jnr, this kid is good, TW is asking a lot of a youngster to play CM. I just hope we don’t burn him, his passing and vision is fantastic, he can run at a man, the only drawback is that he lacks physical presence particularly in contested tackles. This is probably a consequence of playing a player before they are ready physically.

Strange comments. I think you have an axe to grind against TW because he dropped Micky Neill.
Neill was a defensive liability as is Storm. Both gifted players but both sloppy as hell and positionally very naive.
Get over it.
How stupid to question changes when we have not won for 10 games? What do you expect him to do.....continue with the same formula???....or try and fine tune things.
It was our most disciplined defensive display of the year.

Gratis

Honestly we need Ferriera at full stride for 2 - 3 games now before knowing which tweaks are required

Big bonus is seeing LRose, Ascroft and McGing growing in confidence and skill output by the week.

Seems these next couple of games could be pivotal but I'm off to no man's land in terms of watching them so will have to watch replays in the new year

Big Al

Not sure what Austin had been told but for some reason he was hitting the crosses first time rather than using his speed to take on the man or getting to the by-line a lot of very wasted ball.
I picked this up very early was a huge part of Austins run through the middle. The roar had done their homework on Austin and knew he had no right foot. The right back was actually jocking him to go inside. He over played it so far Austin couldn't go around the outside like he likes to do. This forced Austin to take them on on the inside but he still used his left foot then unleashed a right foot shot. I almost fell off my seat.
I believe they had Austin so worried that he didn't think he could go around them with speed due to there positioning so he hit them early but no one was ready.

Big Al

Gee roy goes hard.
I thought the heat would have killed him
But he never stops.
Ooh for a few more goals and it would be a good season
Yeah hand up I was surprised to see him run it out and how pissed he was when he pressed and turned around and the others were just looking at him go no way I'm doing that it's to hot.

Big Al

Every game Liam Rose plays helps him develop into a new Jedi/Monty

Kid has all the talent in the world and the people who bitch about him are probably the same people who bitched about Trent Sainsbury when he 1st started.

There you go
I like him and thought he did well against Perth but thought he was very ordinary yesterday.

Wombat

Yep....im far far from convinced.
Looks solid on the ball BUT can't pass, can't tackle and doesn't create much.
Its probably 18mths too early for him from what I've seen.

Forum Phoenix

There's a way to go for sure, but I think "can't" pass or tackle is untrue. But on tackling, I think Monty, Posc and McGing are clearly our best tacklers.

nebakke

Don't think so unless you have moved seats, 1st time I've sat in my proper seat this season. If your wife picked up my bottle lid I dropped for me then yes.

Heh nah, not me... Although I meant "In the bay" not quite literally ;)

nebakke

There's a way to go for sure, but I think "can't" pass or tackle is untrue. But on tackling, I think Monty, Posc and McGing are clearly our best tacklers.

Yeah - I though that for all of his seeming scrambling against Perth (I think that was the game ) he looked like he really could pass, but he was a bit overwhelmed, so the passes ended up with a sort of panicked factor to them.
You could see that, even with a bit of panic about him he threaded the passes as needed... If he had the calm and self-confidence of a more experienced player, I think he'd be extraordinary.

Wombat

I see a decent and composed young player. But I'm not excited at all at this stage. He is hardly a Joe Cole.
Obviously he will improve and he has helped us shore up the midfield but at an attacking cost.
I'd give him a c+ so far.

Last edited:

Big Al

When you look at Rose and Kalik when they were recruited by Arnie all the hype was with Kalik and Liam was rated highly but he wasn't a no. 10 like Kalik so maybe didn't get as much attention.

Now look at them and Rose is miles ahead. Constantly in the Aussie team for their age group and now a constant in our team. He might not be as flashy as some but I do see some real potential. Actually played better against Perth without Monty than with. Not a mongrel by any means but to be holding his own at his age, he is doing well.

I usually always agree with you Wombat so will be interesting to see what happens here, instead of being 18 months to early I think he will be awesome in 18 months when Monty is coming to and end.

Wombat

He is doing very well for his age and has a lot of potential. Im just not overly excited but what I've seen. I'd say the same about Kallik. But i see them both being first 11 in 18mths.

Our midfield report card so far..

L.Rose c+
Monty A
Cac c
Fitz c
Austin B
Fab B-
Sim B- (lost a point for last game.....no good in the middle)

marinersince2006

He is doing very well for his age and has a lot of potential. Im just not overly excited but what I've seen. I'd say the same about Kallik. But i see them both being first 11 in 18mths.

Our midfield report card so far..

L.Rose c+
Monty A
Cac c
Fitz c
Austin B
Fab B-
Sim B- (lost a point for last game.....no good in the middle)

marinersince2006

Season to date.

LRose 6.5
Maybe defers to much to Monty. Growing in confidence each week?Moss should have given him far more game time previous season.Have not seen much of him as an attacking threat.
Monty 8
Career best form except roar
Cac 7
His data/ stats look career best.Finishing?
Fits 6
Can do better.foundation season u21 player.finishing?
Austin 7.5
Signing of season.maybe needs to vary crossing. Too much in air.Needs to be more selfish and shot more in the box.
Fab 7
Hopefully not another Flores career.Adelaide good judges of departures.Amazing pace and entertaining.
Sim 6
Tough fitting him in and him staying fit. Hugely under rated
Rory 5.5
Really disappointed with his finishing and decision making. Maybe I was expecting a Akeogh type centre foreword.

I would like to see Khalik get much more time . 20/30 minutes min each game.

Most of Aleague teams have Spanish /European attacking players. This means less developement for young Australians in foreward/ attacking positions.Seems to be amazing opportunities for Australian defenders/ defensive players.

Overall our team seems to need too many touches. But Our short passing and passing into box has dramatically improved from last year.Not sure what our shooting accuracy is like versus other Aleague teams.

With such great attacking /overlapping fullbacks jrose/ sroux must be difficult for midfield players to adapt to opportunities created bombing foreword of fullbacks.Great to watch but must be exhausting supporting and then getting back on defense.

Maybe we should have a rule no passing or crossing in the air. Everything must be played on the deck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred