• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rd 6 v Adelaide (home)

Kit Walker

Wages reflect ability and experience, I don't think comparing a junior player to some of those you listed is a fair comparison. But compare to the likes of Stensness and other similar players in the league and squad fringes and there isnt as much in it. A lot comes down to opportunity, especially for the younger guys sometimes they get a break and make their mark others need to wait for their chance. It doesn't help that when he did get some time we were woeful as a whole but his performances were decent. Another 5 years is a lot of development, could he reach those levels by then? Maybe if he can get some regular minutes. There's a reason why the club brought him in to the squad, obviously they believe he has potential.

I get the impression you aren't a fan and if not that's fine but I think you'll find the prevailing thought here is we'd like to see him get more minutes and see what he can offer, probably off the bench in the next season or two. We could certainly do worse with journeymen & squaddies and arguably we have a few like that now. I haven't watched him as much as others but if he has the game to play a bit further forward like Duric or DDS that might give him more opportunities to get on the pitch.
Some great points you make there Turbo. Maybe further up the pitch suits him more.

pjennings

I get your point but not so sure about over-rated, both have played for Australia. Both have also won Premierships, Championships & FFA cup.

Premierships, Championships & FFA cups are irrelevant if the opposition treat them with too much respect.When under pressure they crumbled As for national caps the last time Brilliante played was 2014 and O'Neill has played one friendly.

Shannon Cole & Ruben Z have also played for Australia. Didn't make them good players.

Kit Walker

Premierships, Championships & FFA cups are irrelevant if the opposition treat them with too much respect.When under pressure they crumbled As for national caps the last time Brilliante played was 2014 and O'Neill has played one friendly.

Shannon Cole & Ruben Z have also played for Australia. Didn't make them good players.
I would still love to have Brillante & O’neil in our team :)

Last edited:

Ironbark

Nissy is clearly a developing player with evident potential. He needs time and experience to show us his full potential. Worth sticking with and developing. That's the whole story for him really.

Ancient Mariner

From the little I have seen I rate Nissy up there with Musti at a similar stage of development. He gets his head up while controlling the ball makes good pass decisions quickly, makes good passes, tackles well and gets up when he gets knocked over.

I am looking forward to his development.

Kit Walker

From the little I have seen I rate Nissy up there with Musti at a similar stage of development. He gets his head up while controlling the ball makes good pass decisions quickly, makes good passes, tackles well and gets up when he gets knocked over.

I am looking forward to his development.
I’m not sure Nisbet is about to be signed by Dortmund at this stage... Getting up when you get knocked over may not be the key criteria the Dortmund scouts are looking for. lol
The major difference is Musti played U17, U20, U23 & senior national teams so he has been part of the system throughout his development.

true believer

Frankly i have no idea why o"neil isn't getting picked . And why he's even still in australia

Forum Phoenix

This.

Different player to Silvera. Like comparing McKay with Arzani.

Nisbet level of awareness for a young player is exceptional imo, and he never seems to miss a pass or turn over the ball and despite his size is hard to dislodge and goes strong into a challenge.

What’s not to like.

Forum Phoenix

Your wages represent your ability not your age.
Baccus is 21, O'neil is 25, Brillante is 26, GG is 25 & Stensness is 20. These are not holding midfielders at the end of there playing days in there mid 30's. My point is does he possess the attributes to play a holding role at that level & command the midfield?

From what I’ve seen, for sure.,

Tevor

Jury still out on Nissy, hope he does become something but haven’t seen enough to have an opinion. Great topic and some really good points about the current crop of Oz mid fielders. There must be a reason he isn’t getting a run.

priorpeter

There must be a reason he isn’t getting a run.

Tough to dislodge Stens/GG/Milan based on their form so far this season, and Kim would be ahead of him also. He’s been on the bench every match this season though, and seems to have dislodged Melling from the pecking order, so hopefully we see him get some deserved minutes. The kid is great to watch.

Ads

Even if Nizzy was in better form then current starting players, coaches are usually pressured to play the players on bigger money.
Cause they have advised to spend the dollars and given the approval and don’t want to look silly or go back on their word.
Charlesworth - “Why did we spend $200,000 on that fella and we are playing the $50,000 player”
Like having paid for an expensive steak and just eating the good old reliable chips.

However!
Staj not rushing Kim and supporting fox, Rowles, Silvera, etc has been the smartest coach yet, not rushing and clutching at straws.

FFC Mariner

Tough to dislodge Stens/GG/Milan based on their form so far this season, and Kim would be ahead of him also. He’s been on the bench every match this season though, and seems to have dislodged Melling from the pecking order, so hopefully we see him get some deserved minutes. The kid is great to watch.
1 legged cripples would be picked over Melling tbh. Nis is miles ahead

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred