• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R20 v Brisbane @ Gosford

Tevor

I thought the same thing, Kosi also said the same thing after the game. However Fox sports immediately produced a shot of the player onside as the through ball that Graham headed away was kicked. The player was onside, but there was also a question of him deliberately tunneling under Graham in the air which caused the clearing header to lack power and direction.
Clear foul on Graham, the roar player backs into him not even trying to go for the ball. Free kick anywhere anytime. Problem was they were focused on the off side more.

No good carrying on about it, they still beat us by plenty. Stand by my comment that Simon after 18mins turned the ref against the whole team. It shouldn’t work that way but if Simon controller himself then maybe things would have been more even. Does not excuse the very poor defending coupled with a rubbish keeper. I’ll wait for the Simon lovers to defend him. What he did was just as bad as Cisse in my opinion and he deserves the same treatment. He lost us the chance to be competitive, we were dominating them early and this changed the game.

Ancient Mariner

Simon's spray is just a reflection of the coach's style.

He wanted a team of fighters who will battle until the end.

He has that.

It is just a shame he could not also include discipline and the ability to play football.

We have been taken apart by every other team. Even the one win was not convincing.

MrCelery

Roar v Mariners 2011 GF - regarded as best A-League Grand Final ever.
Mariners 4 v Sydney FC 5 - regarded as the best A-League game ever.

Now this: "Brisbane Roar and Central Coast Mariners played out arguably the game of the season on Friday night, with the first ever 5-3 scoreline in Hyundai A-League history."

When do we get to be in a "best ever" game where we actually win?

pjennings

I was impressed by Murray - not only a good goal but more importantly showed the leadership lacking in others and dragged Simon away after the red card. Let's sign him now before he scores a few more and gets poached.

Forum Phoenix

Clear foul on Graham, the roar player backs into him not even trying to go for the ball. Free kick anywhere anytime. Problem was they were focused on the off side more.

No good carrying on about it, they still beat us by plenty. Stand by my comment that Simon after 18mins turned the ref against the whole team. It shouldn’t work that way but if Simon controller himself then maybe things would have been more even. Does not excuse the very poor defending coupled with a rubbish keeper. I’ll wait for the Simon lovers to defend him. What he did was just as bad as Cisse in my opinion and he deserves the same treatment. He lost us the chance to be competitive, we were dominating them early and this changed the game.

What Mulvey said about Simon is true imo. He was being crucified by Lucas and him being frustrated was inevitable. But you still don’t do what he did. And as captain it’s an even bigger mistake.

If he just shakes his head, laughs and makes a joke like... what do they have to do Lucas, break both my legs before it’s a foul on me... imo he shows maturity, sets a good example, and possibly wins over the ref a bit more.

I totally understand Matty’s frustration and think it was warranted, but what he did only hurt us and him. And as captain it’s his job to lead and do whatever it takes to help us win games. Not always about heart, sometimes it’s about self control and playing the long game.

Big Al

What Mulvey said about Simon is true imo. He was being crucified by Lucas and him being frustrated was inevitable. But you still don’t do what he did. And as captain it’s an even bigger mistake.

If he just shakes his head, laughs and makes a joke like... what do they have to do Lucas, break both my legs before it’s a foul on me... imo he shows maturity, sets a good example, and possibly wins over the ref a bit more.

I totally understand Matty’s frustration and think it was warranted, but what he did only hurt us and him. And as captain it’s his job to lead and do whatever it takes to help us win games. Not always about heart, sometimes it’s about self control and playing the long game.
Ref manipulation is a skill but doing what Mat did will always end in tears. No matter the circumstances if someone abuses you you will not give them what they want unless you absolutely have to. Hence every 50/50 let go.

I’ve done the same as Simon and it’s purely frustration but you need to keep your head. Once you’ve lost the mental game your wasting your time

Last edited:

Antlion

REGAN TO KEYBOARD WARRIORS: ‘YOU TRY MARKING MATT SIMON!’
By Aidan Ormond Feb 24 2019 5:11PM

Former Adelaide United and Newcastle Jets defender Taylor Regan has leapt to the defence of his one-time A-League adversary, Matt Simon.
“For all the people who sit on their keyboards at home and smash the players for not being good enough and all that, I would love to see some of these people try to mark Simon,” Regan told FTBL.

The 30-year-old central defender has reflected on his time in the A-League, telling FTBL in Kuala Lumpur (where he now plays for Selangor FC) that Simon - dubbed the “Thunder from Kincumber” - stands out as the spikiest opponent he’s faced in Australia.

“Six foot four, aggressive, strong, good in the challenge good for the boys, works hard defensively, he’s always at you," he said.

"Matt Simon, he’s a pain in the arse to mark!”

Regan met Simon (also known as the 'Wizard of Woy Woy' among a variety of sobriquets) on a few F3 derby occasions as well as during Simon’s Sydney FC days, where he was used as a pinch-hitter off the bench to devastating effect by Graham Arnold.

“I always have a good battle with him but I do admire the way he plays,” Regan said.

“Matt’s hard, cut-throat and there’s no nonsense. He’s fun but interesting to mark.”

Six foot four and always at you, Matt Simon was a "pain in the arse" to mark: Taylor Regan
Simon, now 33-year-old and the Central Coast Mariners' skipper, is the Gosford side’s all-time leading scorer but worked as a plasterer before his first professional contract. Likewise, Regan had a job mixing cement and loading concrete up the road in Newcastle.

Awake before light for back-breaking work, concreting for a living gave Regan an appreciation of life as a professional player, which adds to his respect for Simon.

“Guys like us, we didn’t have things handed to us on a silver platter," he said. "In today’s society, there are a few players who may get this.

“Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they really struggle because they don’t know what hard work is.

“For me, nothing came easy. I lived by the rule, nothing worth keeping comes easy.”

Aside from the Mariners man - who was red-carded over the weekend in a crazy 5-3 loss to Brisbane Roar - Regan says Besart Berisha, Alessandro Del Piero, and Bruno Fornaroli were his toughest opponents.

“Every striker, every opponent has their own strengths and weaknesses.

“Fornaroli - he’s very, very smart. Del Piero too.

“One time when I gave away a penalty, Del Piero sold me the absolute kitchen sink at Hunter Stadium!

“Besart springs to mind because of his tenacity and his will to win. I really enjoyed those battles because there were games when he’d do nothing for 89 minutes, then all of a sudden he gets a chance and he scores."
https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/regan-to-keyboard-warriors-you-try-marking-matt-simon-519730

Timmah

Roar v Mariners 2011 GF - regarded as best A-League Grand Final ever.
Mariners 4 v Sydney FC 5 - regarded as the best A-League game ever.

Now this: "Brisbane Roar and Central Coast Mariners played out arguably the game of the season on Friday night, with the first ever 5-3 scoreline in Hyundai A-League history."

When do we get to be in a "best ever" game where we actually win?
It was easily the most entertaining game of the weekend, not sure it could be considered game of the season though.

Antlion

A-League Winners and Losers: Mariners reach new low as Muscat sinks Joyce
Josh Thomas
Last updated 7 minutes ago

The weekend began with a bang in Gosford in what summed up a disastrous season for the Mariners

Just when you thought a season couldn't get any worse for Central Coast Mariners they concede five goals at home, get two players sent off for dissent and all but wrap up the wooden spoon with a 5-3 defeat to Brisbane Roar.

The pressure is unsurprisingly mounting on coach Mike Mulvey and it was disappointing to see him blame the referees post-match for his player's inexcusable behaviour.

1. Loser: Mike Mulvey
    A disastrous season got even worse for the Mariners on Friday and their coach was left reeling in the spotlight.

With two of his players sent off for dissent, Mulvey attempted to shift blame on to the referees in what made for a poor look.

"I think the referee brought a lot of the situation on himself," he said.

"The same way we look at the way we’ve performed, hopefully, the A-League has a look at the way the officiating happened.

"It looks like there’s a predetermined situation where Matt Simon is a bully and he never gets a free-kick because of that and it’s just absolutely ridiculous. You need to referee the game in the way that you see it."

If Ernie Merrick got fined $3000 for a quip about VAR taking a cup of tea, Mulvey should ready himself for an even more severe punishment.

Questions must also be asked of his players lashing out at the referee like that. Sure the club are struggling but there's no excuse for behaviour like that and Mulvey shouldn't be allowing it - let alone defending it.
    https://www.goal.com/en-au/lists/a-...-new-low-as-muscat/17vr4795kcxz31ujsj6x669ntv

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
gy3iY8.png

Timmah

I agree Mulvey shifting the blame to the referee was a poor look but it doesn't mean we should ignore the performance of the referee either.

FFC Mariner

Yes. It does.
This bullshitting fraud is getting paid for a 5% win ratio while the normies blame the referee.
Obviously he should let Simon call him a f**king dog.
I feel dirty saying it but if Okon enjoyed Mulveys funding, we wouldnt be 10th

marinermick

Yes. It does.
This bullshitting fraud is getting paid for a 5% win ratio while the normies blame the referee.

Nor Walmsley imo.

Charlesworth has ruined one coaching career in Walmsley and set back the career of Okon.

midfielder

Matty spray was well over the top even for a gross hack... it was not a gross hack it was certainty a foul ...

Kinda think the club should show some balls and take the captains arm band away ....

We have became a joke and are making the league in some ways look a joke...

Even West in league sacked Jason Taylor and league sides never sack coaches mid season...

Time for some action...

Timmah

Yes. It does.
They aren't mutually exclusive. You can tear strips off our own performance, the disgraceful conduct of our captain, and call out Mulvey for the shit coach he is and still be appalled by the referee as well.

There's no hiding from the fact we are in a dark dark place, just like there's no hiding from the way Stephen Lucas performed. Both are conversations worth having, they both impact the outcome of our matches.

Antlion

Simon cited for ‘f***ing dog’ snap
February 22, 2019
Central Coast captain Matt Simon is potentially facing a multiple-match ban or a fine — or both — after being cited for calling an A-League referee a ‘f***ing dog’.

The fiery forward was shown a second yellow card and subsequently dismissed in the 95th minute of last Friday’s rollercoaster 5-3 home loss to Brisbane Roar.

Clearly incensed with the decision, he appeared to swear repeatedly at referee Stephen Lucas in a foul-mouthed tirade picked up by match-broadcast microphones.

Football Federation Australia moved to act on Monday, citing Simon under its National Code of Conduct and giving the Mariners until 5pm next Monday to file a submission on behalf of their skipper.

54b2f56181304714462088cc3c9481ed

Simon couldn’t keep a lid on his frustration. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
Simon’s case did not go to the match review panel, nor will he face the FFA independent disciplinary committee, due to the fact he made the remarks after he’d been sent off.

Club chiefs, who have privately made it clear they don’t condone such actions, will spend the next week putting together their paperwork, and may choose to sanction Simon themselves in the hope FFA might take such a move into account when determining the severity of his punishment.

“The Central Coast Mariners will take this opportunity to review all options available to the club, and provide an update in due course,” the club said in a statement.

However, either way the 33-year-old looks set to be hit with significantly more than a reprimand, given Newcastle coach Ernie Merrick was fined $3000 this month for criticising the video assistant referee in a post-match press conference.

FFA hit Merrick with the fee over remarks he made around a series of contentious penalty decisions against the Jets in the a 2-0 loss to Perth on January 27 that the VAR was “having a cup of tea” and “if it was against us, it would be given. We’ve had four penalties against, and we haven’t got a penalty this year”.

Former Sooceroo Ned Zelic described Simon’s behaviour as “not on”.

“It’s going to be interesting what they actually do with this,” Zelic told Fox Sports’ Sunday Shootout program.

“I reckon he’s looking at least four weeks for what he said.

“That’s where you really have to control yourself as a player, irrespective of how things are going … you really have to stay controlled and not allow yourself to lose discipline.”

After Friday’s game Mariners coach Mike Mulvey appeared to shift the blame as he bemoaned it felt like “the whole world was against” his wooden-spooners in waiting.

“It looks like there’s a predetermined situation where Matt Simon is a bully and he never gets a free kick because of that, and it’s just absolutely ridiculous,” Mulvey told Fox Sports.

“You need to referee the game in the way that you see it.

“We just did not get anything. Matt didn’t get anything. It’s not just the first week too, it’s been happening time and time again.

“The players get frustrated, the fans get frustrated and then you see the end result.

“I think the referee brought a lot of the situation on himself.”

The outburst came in a match the Mariners finished with nine men after midfielder Aiden

O’Neill was also given a second yellow and his marching orders just after the hour mark, meaning the Mariners will be missing two key players in their next match with Wellington.

https://outline.com/Tc2Ubt

turbo

Will be interesting to see where the armband goes next game with O'Neill being the back up choice and also suspended. Can't be too many candidates there. Jem is a senior player but has only played a few games for us, Pain is long serving, a bit of a fan favourite and a senior figure which could work. Aspro wouldn't be a bad choice. Can't see them going with Tom H if he's even available. Kennedy shouldn't get it he's almost starting by default. Outside chances Melling - played a fair few games and MM likes him or Hoole - perhaps an attempt to use the band to get him to lift his game.

Thinking about it like that my vote goes to Pain while O'Neill is out. Would be a nice recognition of his contributions to the club.

marinermick

Will be interesting to see where the armband goes next game with O'Neill being the back up choice and also suspended. Can't be too many candidates there. Jem is a senior player but has only played a few games for us, Pain is long serving, a bit of a fan favourite and a senior figure which could work. Aspro wouldn't be a bad choice. Can't see them going with Tom H if he's even available. Kennedy shouldn't get it he's almost starting by default. Outside chances Melling - played a fair few games and MM likes him or Hoole - perhaps an attempt to use the band to get him to lift his game.

Thinking about it like that my vote goes to Pain while O'Neill is out. Would be a nice recognition of his contributions to the club.

Aspro has had it previously on one occasion so I am assuming it will be him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred