• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R11 away v Sydney (Kogarah)

localpom

If ever we needed a win it's tonight. Until we lose than it will be next week. Of course they will be on the bench but we need the 2 Tommy's to start.
I would bring BK back as it's slightly better than the alternative. Won't happen but i would like to see this.
.........................BK.......................................
...Millar.......Aspro.......Cisse...........Rowles...
...............Tommy H....Aiden.........................
..........................Tommy O...........................
....Murray.........Matty.................Connor........

pjennings

If ever we needed a win it's tonight. Until we lose than it will be next week. Of course they will be on the bench but we need the 2 Tommy's to start.
I would bring BK back as it's slightly better than the alternative. Won't happen but i would like to see this.

As you said - the two Tommy's will be on the bench and I'd rather Murray in the middle

Insertnamehere

Be the best team we've fielded since round 1

turbo

murray got in the right spot a few times last week . i think he's a better option matty simon

Definitely better. Thing that stood out to me the most was in the air despite being shorter he gets up and then looks to get some power and direction on the ball rather than nodding it in.

Forum Phoenix

Dropping Clisby altogether concerns me for a number of reasons :

- if it's to accommodate Rowles shifting left in a back x3, I'm totally fine with it.

However if it's a back x4 with Rowles at LB ... he just doesn't have the skills or confidence to bomb forward and contribute in the front 1/3.

When playing at LB last season Rowles rarely NEVER got past the halfway.

& this creates a problem in balance, as it was ALWAYS our RB doing the 'go-forward' runs to the by-line, becoming predictable to the oppisition who then look to exploit that hole left by the RB (Storm) in transition.

Defensively the opposition dont then have to worry about Rowles trying to get forward ... he doesn't like to.

"Easy .... wheras RB.. we'll focus on shutting Millar down instead "
-they'll double-team him any anyone trying to link with Milly on that RHS.

You’re right. This is all true, it’s the area of his game Rowles really has to develop if he’s going to play LB instead of CB. But Clisby, looks like he isn’t even trying and has become a liability.

So I’ll take defence over offense for now. Sadly,

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Hey mate just to fill you that was an Okon tactic that was pushed all the way down the Academy. The curriculum wasn't rigid enough for him - he actually took it a step further and made all the left backs stay back no matter what was in front of them or how attack minded they were and the right back was able to bomb forward at will. As you mentioned above it took A-League managers 2 games to figure it out and we became very easy to coach against.

WTF?

Forum Phoenix

He is a LB in a back 4 he doesnt need to bomb on.

Lets just get back to basics. Play up the line, cut it back inside, switch it or play it back.
Our defence our dummies ....lets keep it simple.
A back 3 with our quality and experience is suicide.

Yeah this is exactly how I see it too.

Ozhammer

You’re right. This is all true, it’s the area of his game Rowkes really has to develop if he’s going to play LB instead of CB. But Clisby, looks like he isn’t even trying and has become a liability.

Whilst I get why folks shy away from it, playing 3 at the back means Rowles wouldn’t have to worry about getting up and down, so he can just concentrate on his defensive duties and the wing back in front of him can carry the attacking threat.

For the doubters, just look at the Perth game on NYE, we were better defensively after MM went to a back 3 than we were with a back 4 (we had already conceded 3 goals with a 4 man defence) and only conceded one more goal because Rowles decided to desert his post in the dying stages. We can make it work if we stick at it believe me.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Whilst I get why folks shy away from it, playing 3 at the back means Rowles wouldn’t have to worry about getting up and down, ao he can just concentrate on his defensive duties and the wing back in front of him can carry the attacking threat.

For the doubters, just look at the Perth game on NYE, we were better defensively after MM went to a back 3 than we were with a back 4 (we had already conceded 3 goals with a 4 man defence) and only conceded one more goal because Rowles decided to desert his post in the dying stages. We can make it work if we stick at it believe me.

To be honest we don’t have a Left wing back in our squad imo. So while Rowdy is right about Rowles, Clisby offers not a great deal more and expect this is why we even ludicrously tried Golec.

So I don’t think back 3 suits our cattle. Not that I’m very optimistic no matter how we try tinker right now. We’re absent quality - two Toms are a start at least if we get them fit over the next 3 games.

As to back 3 helping our defence...
I honestly thought it was just Popovic deliberately preserving his players and sitting back that truly made any difference to our defensive frailties. Once we got one back and they decided to attack again the back three were exposed also. Without the 4th defender they were all too scared to break the line and play the ball and put pressure on the attacking run. So they just dribbled all the way to our box.

I think we’ve been given a handful of straws to work with OH. So no surprise we’re on here trying to clutch at them I guess :-|

Wombat

You’re right. This is all true, it’s the area of his game Rowles really has to develop if he’s going to play LB instead of CB. But Clisby, looks like he isn’t even trying and has become a liability.

I think that is a tad harsh.
He looks confused by what is being asked off him and his confidence is down.

Muley has the defence lost in no mans land and they are not sure when to pick up and when to defend the zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred