• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R11 away v Sydney (Kogarah)

Ozhammer

Yeah, dont doubt any of that for a minute.
(Imagine all the poor left-footed 'Matty Millars' we've stifled the last few years then :headbutt:)

But it still doesn't hide the fact that Rowles IS a CB and should only be on the outer left side IF we play with a back x3.

Whoever suggested playing Oar at #10 - is flat out crazy imo.
Lot to like in this post Rowdy but have to disagree with the last part regarding Oar sorry. He would be a much better 10 than either Hoole or Weemac imo and he doesn’t really have the legs to be a wing back these days, as that is a yongster’s role.

Rowdy

Lot to like in this post Rowdy but have to disagree with the last part regarding Oar sorry. He would be a much better 10 than either Hoole or Weemac imo and he doesn’t really have the legs to be a wing back these days, as that is a yongster’s role.
Legs ? you're kidding yourself.
He's 27yo ..... NOT 32yo

Josh Risdon - 26
Rhyan Grant - 27
Aziz Behich - 28

Oar has never, repeat NEVER been deployed as a #10 at any club he's played at - here or overseas.

At #10 ..... you'd be simply wasting what was once regarded as the best left-foot in Australian Football.

Ozhammer

He's 27yo ..... NOT 32yo

Josh Risdon - 26
Rhyan Grant - 27
Aziz Behich - 28

Oar has never, repeat NEVER been deployed as a #10 at any club he's played at - here or overseas.

At #10 ..... you'd be simply wasting what was once regarded as the best left-foot in Australian Football.
I guess that’s the beauty of football, lots of differing viewpoints but Oar is on record as saying he feels that his best position is as a 10 so he doesn’t see himself as a winger. How can he be any worse than the two individuals that have been played in that role so far? We will never know what he can do if he is never given the chance.

If we set up with a back 3 (which is when we have played best to my eyes), the wide players have to have the engine to get up and down the flanks. Whilst Millar can do this for about 75 mins, I highly doubt that Oar would get anywhere near that.

JoyfulPenguin

He's 27yo ..... NOT 32yo

Josh Risdon - 26
Rhyan Grant - 27
Aziz Behich - 28

He played as a ten in the Eredivise for Utrecht, where he was so good Ajax were looking at him.

Wombat

Dropping Clisby altogether concerns me for a number of reasons :

- if it's to accommodate Rowles shifting left in a back x3, I'm totally fine with it.

However if it's a back x4 with Rowles at LB ... he just doesn't have the skills or confidence to bomb forward and contribute in the front 1/3.

When playing at LB last season Rowles rarely NEVER got past the halfway.

& this creates a problem in balance, as it was ALWAYS our RB doing the 'go-forward' runs to the by-line, becoming predictable to the oppisition who then look to exploit that hole left by the RB (Storm) in transition.

Defensively the opposition dont then have to worry about Rowles trying to get forward ... he doesn't like to.

"Easy .... wheras RB.. we'll focus on shutting Millar down instead "
-they'll double-team him any anyone trying to link with Milly on that RHS.

He is a LB in a back 4 he doesnt need to bomb on.

Lets just get back to basics. Play up the line, cut it back inside, switch it or play it back.
Our defence our dummies ....lets keep it simple.
A back 3 with our quality and experience is suicide.

Insertnamehere

3 pages already. I've only just recovered from the weekenda debacle. I'm not even up to thinking a out this weekend's debacle.

Insertnamehere

He's 27yo ..... NOT 32yo

Josh Risdon - 26
Rhyan Grant - 27
Aziz Behich - 28

He did in Holland. Just to correct you

Scotty

Where’s preseason Clisby
It shows the difference in quality between mid-season A-League teams and those that we played preseason.

With the exception of a few players, our squad still looks like it's in preseason.

ballantyne

I'll be there. We're cruising for a humiliating defeat or three, and I feel this will be one of them.

turbo

One of those players that always shine against inferior opponents in preseason.

That doesn’t explain it all though, his set pieces looked quite good early on too and seem to have disappeared. Quality opposition doesn’t make it any harder to deliver a dead ball to the right area, you might not win the resulting header as often but the ball should still be in the same areas.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It shows the difference in quality between mid-season A-League teams and those that we played preseason.

With the exception of a few players, our squad still looks like it's in preseason.
That's because we didn't have preseason and didn't care about the cup

Scotty

That doesn’t explain it all though, his set pieces looked quite good early on too and seem to have disappeared. Quality opposition doesn’t make it any harder to deliver a dead ball to the right area, you might not win the resulting header as often but the ball should still be in the same areas.
It may simply be a lack of confidence too. Can't blame him for that given what's transpired since preseason.

BaysideMariner

One of those players that always shine against inferior opponents in preseason. Greg Owens and Michae Baird were examples.
Wow you just pulled out the "Greg Owen " card. That just brought a smile to my face to see all that skill wasted on a player like him.

Big Al

I wonder if having McCormack come in and then Hoolle for Corners sort of made him feel invisible or rejected. He was providing the quality we needed in those areas then had it taken off him. For Hoole absolute mistake. For McCormack I understand.

Now his confidence has gone from i’m one of the best here and a giving a valuable contribution to dropped

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred