• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R11 away v Sydney (Kogarah)

Coastalraider

As much as l was in double digits in beers had, l felt so numb (beers played their part probably) when they were going on a rampage 2nd half. All l could do was sip another beer and watch on while everyone else sorta laughed and we did a ''you're nothing special, we lose every week''. I used to care so deeply about results and 1 loss would have me not talking to anyone for a few hours. Now, you're so desensitised to it you just shrug.
I think the most dangerous part of the situation the team finds itself in now is linked to your comments above, which I agree with mind you.

It’s one thing for die hard fans to be angry at results, but it is downright scary that so many people have actually stopped being emotional when we lose. There is a distinct care factor in the fan base that is being lost at the moment, and that will be VERY hard for the team to recover from.

I walked away at halftime on New Year’s Eve, so my kids could get a good view of the fireworks. That has never happened before. I saw some friends who turn up once a year, and they were shocked at how small the crowd was, I told them how we were fairing, and they were stunned. I spoke to them afterwards, they said they probably wouldn’t bother again.

While the NYE crowd was very bad, I think a lot was made up of punters who only come for that game, and don’t follow the team too much. I doubt they will be back.

marinermick

As much as l was in double digits in beers had, l felt so numb (beers played their part probably) when they were going on a rampage 2nd half. All l could do was sip another beer and watch on while everyone else sorta laughed and we did a ''you're nothing special, we lose every week''. I used to care so deeply about results and 1 loss would have me not talking to anyone for a few hours. Now, you're so desensitised to it you just shrug.

Probably why the whole day was enjoyable for me. I knew the Aussies would get pumped in the cricket and the Mariners done by Sydney.

Plus I was to have a damn fine yeeros at Brighton.

Antlion

Exactly the same.

Antlion

I think the most dangerous part of the situation the team finds itself in now is linked to your comments above, which I agree with mind you.

It’s one thing for die hard fans to be angry at results, but it is downright scary that so many people have actually stopped being emotional when we lose. There is a distinct care factor in the fan base that is being lost at the moment, and that will be VERY hard for the team to recover from.

I walked away at halftime on New Year’s Eve, so my kids could get a good view of the fireworks. That has never happened before. I saw some friends who turn up once a year, and they were shocked at how small the crowd was, I told them how we were fairing, and they were stunned. I spoke to them afterwards, they said they probably wouldn’t bother again.

While the NYE crowd was very bad, I think a lot was made up of punters who only come for that game, and don’t follow the team too much. I doubt they will be back.
Yeah if MC somehow still isn't getting it - the crowds (or lack thereof) are about to make it abundantly clear

Ozhammer

Just watching the WSW v Nix game with Johnathan Barreiro as the official and cannot believe that VAR has overturned his penalty decision, which was more clear cut than the one he gave against us on Friday night. At least Melling made contact with the ball when Fenton was nowhere near it. Just another confirmation of the crap standard of officiating and underlying bias within the HAL imo.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Just watching the WSW v Nix game with Johnathan Barreiro as the official and cannot believe that VAR has overturned his penalty decision, which was more clear cut than the one he gave against us on Friday night. At least Melling made contact with the ball when Fenton was nowhere near it. Just another confirmation of the crap standard of officiating and underlying bias within the HAL imo.
Roughly when in the match was it? I'll check it out on Kayo.
EDIT: 16thmin
EDIT: JESUS CHRIST!!
How the absolute f**k did that get overturned? You're right, this is absolutely disgraceful.
That shouln't have been overturned....I can't see a touch on there. But even if, for the sake of argument, I agree there's the faintest glancing touch - touching the ball doesn't mean it's not a foul. Even if there's a touch, it's so faint in comparison to how much of the player he got that it's still a penalty.

f**k me dead, I'm disgusted again by how that prick treated us.

Last edited:

turbo

There either wasn’t any contact or it was so minimal it shouldn’t have been given to start with. Closer to simulation than a pen. Bozza was talking about it half time and said the attackers really needed to take some contact instead of diving out of the way. I tend to agree, the way it played out it shouldn’t have been given but it might have been one if the attacker didn’t dive.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

There either wasn’t any contact or it was so minimal it shouldn’t have been given to start with. Closer to simulation than a pen. Bozza was talking about it half time and said the attackers really needed to take some contact instead of diving out of the way. I tend to agree, the way it played out it shouldn’t have been given but it might have been one if the attacker didn’t dive.
It's either a dive or a penalty.

So where was the card for a dive?

The best angle would be directly in front. There wasn't that camera angle, so nothing showing that there was no contact. Looked to me like the knee clipped the foot, that would easily take him out.

Even if I accept the possibility of a dive - can you say that's clearly and obviously demonstrated on replay?

turbo

I think I heard an explanation on the broadcast that he didn’t get carded for the dive because he was jumping away from contact. Self preservation rather than intending to deceive but I’m not sure of the wording on that law. But in diving away he also doesn’t cop sufficient contact to award the penalty.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I think I heard an explanation on the broadcast that he didn’t get carded for the dive because he was jumping away from contact. Self preservation rather than intending to deceive but I’m not sure of the wording on that law. But in diving away he also doesn’t cop sufficient contact to award the penalty.
Yeah but the commentators wouldn't know what they're talking about. If you're trying to jump away from the player who slid in but don't quite make it, that would still be a foul.

There was no angle that shows there was no contact, so there's no clear and obvious error.

Watching it in slow motion, his direction of momentum doesn't change until the moment when it appears the knee hits him

Timmah

Official explanation from Ben Williams:

In this incident, Sydney FC were awarded a penalty for a foul on Adam Le Fondre by Jacob Melling in the penalty area.

The VAR checked the incident. The trailing leg of Melling made clear and obvious contact to Le Fondre’s left leg before Melling made contact with the ball.

As such, the VAR determined that the on-field decision was correct and the decision was upheld.

Link: https://www.a-league.com.au/news/whistle-round-11-refereeing-and-var-incidents-explained

Gotta say, Benny boy has a very unusual definition of 'clear and obvious contact'.

greenlig

"In this incident, Sydney FC were awarded a penalty for a foul on Adam Le Fondre by Jacob Melling in the penalty area.

The VAR checked the incident. The trailing leg of Melling made clear and obvious contact to Le Fondre’s left leg before Melling made contact with the ball.

As such, the VAR determined that the on-field decision was correct and the decision was upheld."

Woah, coded message. Huge if true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred