• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mr Rudd's Flashin the cash!!

serious14

Blackadder said:
And the Libs policy to combat the economic slow down is??? Well going by the News tonight they have no policy, so have adopted the "Let's criticise the Government route."

...............................it matters f*ck all what the opposition's plan is because, wait for it, THEY'RE THE OPPOSITION.  They are in no position to _actually_ do anything.

Besides, a year ago you'd have gone down the exact same route.  :p

dibo

serious14 said:
'Cause the last one worked so well............. SO WELL IN FACT, we now need another one.

Brilliant.  ;D

well actually, it did. take westfield's earnings - in the US and NZ, they tanked in the final quarter of last year. here they held up. if you don't think this is important, think how many jobs are in the retail, services and commercial property sectors. a helluva lot of people kept their jobs who would otherwise have been unemployed.

these packages are all about filling in the troughs in the economic cycle. this new package will continue holding up consumer confidence (and therefore spending) by filling the gaps caused by the slowing economy.

today's package also works towards more keynesian projects like the money going to insulation packages and schools. these things are good to do now because they fill the troughs in construction activity.

Blackadder

serious14 said:
Blackadder said:
And the Libs policy to combat the economic slow down is??? Well going by the News tonight they have no policy, so have adopted the "Let's criticise the Government route."

...............................it matters f*ck all what the opposition's plan is because, wait for it, THEY'RE THE OPPOSITION.  They are in no position to _actually_ do anything.

Besides, a year ago you'd have gone down the exact same route.  :p
They are the alternative Government, would have thought they had some idea how to deal with this to help persuade people they have what it takes to be elected in 2012.

FFC Mariner

dibo said:
serious14 said:
'Cause the last one worked so well............. SO WELL IN FACT, we now need another one.

Brilliant.  ;D

well actually, it did. take westfield's earnings - in the US and NZ, they tanked in the final quarter of last year. here they held up. if you don't think this is important, think how many jobs are in the retail, services and commercial property sectors. a helluva lot of people kept their jobs who would otherwise have been unemployed.

these packages are all about filling in the troughs in the economic cycle. this new package will continue holding up consumer confidence (and therefore spending) by filling the gaps caused by the slowing economy.

today's package also works towards more keynesian projects like the money going to insulation packages and schools. these things are good to do now because they fill the troughs in construction activity.

You on a retainer from the CMFEU? :)

This "stimulus" is simply the Govt printing money (thats what you do to fund a deficit) and handing it out to its own constituency.

Dangerously inflationary, rates will rise when we recover and that devalues the debt they have just printed (pretty clever huh?)

If you f**k it up, you end up with Germany (Wiemar) or Zimbabwe.

None of these marvelous initiatives will generate wealth going forward, they just dig inept states out of a hole.

When we recover and China's demand for ore goes back up, we will still have shit roads,rail and ports. But will have added debt that has to be paid back by guess who?

Thats right, the people who earned the $$ that is about to be spunked on the pokies (again)

Turnbull is demonstrating that he cannot ever be allowed to run Australia, but our esteemed treasurer is about to make it v easy for him

The idiocy of his actions should be hitting about oooooooooooooh 2010.

FFC Mariner

NSW has 4 year fixed terms (dammit)

Feds dont, 3 I think but they are free to go to the polls whenever they want to

Oh Dibo................

dibo

FFC Mariner said:
dibo said:
serious14 said:

Brilliant.  ;D

You on a retainer from the CMFEU? :)

This "stimulus" is simply the Govt printing money (thats what you do to fund a deficit) and handing it out to its own constituency.

Dangerously inflationary, rates will rise when we recover and that devalues the debt they have just printed (pretty clever huh?)

If you f**k it up, you end up with Germany (Wiemar) or Zimbabwe.

None of these marvelous initiatives will generate wealth going forward, they just dig inept states out of a hole.

When we recover and China's demand for ore goes back up, we will still have shit roads,rail and ports. But will have added debt that has to be paid back by guess who?

Thats right, the people who earned the $$ that is about to be spunked on the pokies (again)

Turnbull is demonstrating that he cannot ever be allowed to run Australia, but our esteemed treasurer is about to make it v easy for him

The idiocy of his actions should be hitting about oooooooooooooh 2010.

it's not dangerously inflationary when the bonuses are 'one off' (in reality, they're set to 'expire' when growth returns to what they call 'trend levels' or about 3%) and the economy's in more danger of losing its arse than blowing its top.

the government *doesn't* print money to fund deficits. it issues commonwealth bonds - bits of paper available to be bought on say... five or ten year terms for a guaranteed return.*

by issuing bonds, it gets cash from financial markets on the promise of a return later - it borrows money on the open market. we're not just firing up the presses at the mint.

FFC - you're missing the fact that there's still significant infrastructure stuff going on through infrastructure australia, and unlike the private sector the public sector is actually likely to accelerate these projects - partly because with the construction industry tanking it's cheaper to do, and partly because it's a good old keynesian make-work project. beats burying jars of money and paying people to dig them up anyway.

in the meantime there still needs to be some cash going through the registers otherwise a whole range of other industries also tank. that's the reason for the handouts. they're not tax cuts, because for the reasons FFC laid out you want to be able to stop them, and just try taking a tax cut away! that's why we've got the bonuses.

FFC Mariner said:
NSW has 4 year fixed terms (dammit)

Feds dont, 3 I think but they are free to go to the polls whenever they want to

Oh Dibo................

i think there's a thing on the timing of half senate elections that stops them going before july 2010 (in practical terms, this means august because of the minimum campaign period) - if they go before that then they can dissolve the house but not the senate, leading to a house election and then some time in 2011 having a half-senate election as well. the only solution is a double dissolution. on the flip side, the writs to dissolve the house and call for elections can be issued no later than february 2011, so the election can be no later than i think early april 2011.

long story short, the next federal election will be between august 2010 and april 2011.

and no, i don't work and never have worked for the CFMEU.

* from the given price of any bond at any time we can calculate what the market thinks interest rates will be over the period to the bond's maturation. at the moment bond prices will be high because interest rates will be low for a fair while, and because we're in a good position to offer bonds (our credit rating is spectacular) the demand for our bonds will be strong and therefore the prices are higher and we'll raise more money for a given commitment in five or ten years. but that's another topic entirely...

skilbeck

my theory: economic troubles, climate change, resource depletion and food and water shortages are all linked with each other and are a result of overpopulation, there is nothing this or any government worldwide can do that wouldnt be highly unethical to grossly genocidal, nature however has a funny though cruel way of correcting this itself when things get out of hand. the best thing australia can do is to find some way of being self sufficient and stop relying on exporting big chunks of WA off to china cos that has gone belly up in recent months

dibo

skilbeck said:
my theory: economic troubles, climate change, resource depletion and food and water shortages are all linked with each other and are a result of overpopulation, there is nothing this or any government worldwide can do that wouldnt be highly unethical to grossly genocidal, nature however has a funny though cruel way of correcting this itself when things get out of hand. the best thing australia can do is to find some way of being self sufficient and stop relying on exporting big chunks of WA off to china cos that has gone belly up in recent months

how does 'nature' have anything to do with financial markets biting the big one? i'd believe you on overpopulation if we didn't already have the food and resources to feed, clothe, shelter and educate everyone. but the fact is that we could do all those things, if only we stopped spending so much cash on stupid things like wars and their tools.

dibo

serious14 said:
dibo said:
if we didn't already have the food and resources to feed, clothe, shelter and educate everyone.

You sure about that??

considering the top 20% uses 80% of resources, yeah, i'd be pretty confident.

in any case, what are you going to suggest? carpet bombing the poor?

serious14

dibo said:
serious14 said:
dibo said:
if we didn't already have the food and resources to feed, clothe, shelter and educate everyone.

You sure about that??

in any case, I'm suggesting we carpet bomb the poor

Geez, I knew you were a left wing tyrant, but come on.......

tuftman

serious14 said:
dibo said:
serious14 said:
dibo said:

You sure about that??

Just a little extreme :p

So is there any definitive means testing for the cash?? My parents didn't get a cent in the last lot due to some loophole, so I'm wondering if they, and myself really, will get the cash this time around

~Floss~

tuftman said:
My parents didn't get a cent in the last lot due to some loophole, so I'm wondering if they, and myself really, will get the cash this time around

um, I thought the last one mostly went to people on welfare with kids? I think a lot of people missed out. (iirc - didn't pay much attention 'cause i certainly got nothing).

This one appears to shift some of the attention to workers.

dibo

serious14 said:
dibo said:
serious14 said:
dibo said:

You sure about that??

pretty childish there mate.

W

Wilson

~Floss~ said:
Wilson said:
It is clearly indicated who will get it and who wont!!

Where? (link?)

How is it determined? eg. Last financial year's tax return (still haven't done one). :headbutt: Gross? Net? Are "Fringe Benefits" included (eg. cars, computers, allowances, etc.)?

These details will actually make a big difference for some. (i.e. many who gross over 100k can have a much lower taxable income)

Go to the PM's website, GOOGLE, ATO or Family Assistance website, read, my first post had a link????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred