• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners vs Wellington at NSO - Game Talk

Gratis

a game of the keepers, the keepers were a joy to watch

on the positive there were a couple of good moments of quick and positive passing in the final third but not always penetrative for the final ball. there were a couple of great chances well saved by moss. and there werea a couple of effective counters also.

on the negative there was a LOT of unforced turnovers and we let them come in close to the box too often and too unnecessarily

nebakke

Macca's quickly heading for his old self... I think it'd be worth a try to swap him with Duke for a game or two... See what happens.

Also, all due respect to the Northern Spirit fans etc, but my GOD what a s**t ground to watch football at! It's almost impossible to get a decent viewing angle from any of the stands and the acoustics make it impossible to hear most of the game action while amplifying the rhubarbrhubarb of a crowd that felt like it had a large novelty component...
I'm not sure I'll ever be back for a game there although it's a nice boutique feel there, I have to admit.

Last edited:

eenfish

Best part of the night was the 20 or so lads in Spirit shirts with their banner making noise and chanting "tits out for the boys" every time some girls walked passed...

...not. As my mate said, "real blast from the past"

UnitedsNo9

Very lucky obviously. Reddy was great. Happy to see Sterj on and Fitzy given another go. Matty was horrible with the ball. Flores had moments but was difficult to watch at times. Not exactly sure who to blame for the opportunities that they had (and should have scored) but will have to watch replay. I honestly think that when Kwasnik is fit we should give him Mattys spot on the bench for a week or two if nothing else but to make him step up.

bikinigirl

. well i must say ... that is a crap ground to watch football at (last night that may have been a redeeming feature) - so i can't really comment on the game. i'll stick to the crowd instead

. there were a shitload of kids there ... more than i have ever seen at a mariners game (but that may be reflective of where i usually sit?) ... and it seemed none of them were interested in the football (free/cheap tickets from the local associations/council/mariners perhaps?)

. but the dis-interest wasn't limited to the kids, plenty of people wandering up into the stands to talk to mates ... or the parents of their kids mates ... completely oblivious to people trying to watch the game even as they stood there facing the back of the stand and fans weaving to see past them. or the guy that had to stand up to talk to his child every time he came back from playing with his mates (intervals not exceeding 5 minutes)

. of course there was the plethora of SFC-ADP-10 shirts ... seriously, i don't get that ... why not just wear a 'civvies' like 90% of the crowd

. but the one that cracked me up most was the kid waving his manly sea eagles flag ... what the hell were these people doing at the football? according to the club's official stance ... i can expect to see much more of this at gosford in the future ... umm ... yay!

Roy Law

Reddy’s One-man Show
I have no idea how the Mariners took the three points today: this was as shambolic a performance as I can remember. Even with Reddy taking the glory with a string of saves Wellington should have won this. On what should have been a glorious celebration of football at the iconic North Sydney Oval the Mariners simply did not turn up.
An apparently exhausted McGlinchey was omitted from the line-up and Duke was relegated to the bench: Fitzgerald and Sterjovski started. The Mariners were hopeless right from the start, seemingly unable to keep their footing on the baked grassy surface.
Wellington was the first to show as Huysegems was given all the time and space in the world but hit his shot straight at the advancing Reddy: it was pretty much the script for the first half as Wellington, without a win this season, kept firing shots at the Mariners goal, one shot as a result of a gift from Hutchinson; the fourth shot forcing Reddy full length for a fine save. All the Mariners had been able to muster was a well hit shot from Fitzgerald which deflected wide and then, against the run of play, Roux scored.
It was the first time we had seen Roux venture forward. He set Sterjovski free on the right and when Wellington failed to clear Roux banged the ball into the net. It was great reward for positive play.
The Mariners did not lift however and continued to play poorly, utterly failing to keep possession, and Wellington kept pressing forward and Reddy kept saving everything they threw at him. It was a remarkable display from the keeper who single handedly was keeping the Mariners in the game. Only once was he beaten, by a header, and Montgomery cleared off the line.
It used to be that at each Mariners’ training session that every player would meet and greet the other players, shaking their hand in a symbol of mateship and togetherness: you got the impression that they no longer do this as the players seemed to be complete strangers to each other today. At half time you hoped Moss would remind them of this team ethic.
Four minutes into the second half and Wellington was offered a penalty. It came from one of the most limp-wristed feeble spells of defending I have seen from any Mariners side. Tackle after tackle was attempted and lost; the power and determination was as powerful as a Weetbix biscuit. Finally Roux capitulated and Wellington got the penalty. Up stepped Reddy, unbeatable on the day, to thwart Huysegems; a crucial moment.
The Mariners actually lifted a gear and began to play some decent football. Fine work from the energetic Fitzgerald gave Flores an opportunity but his careful shot was just too close to Glen Moss; Sainsbury then had a cheeky dig from his own half, it was well wide but at least he had a go, and then Moss produced the save of the game, a spectacular reflex save from Fitzgerald after excellent work from Roux.
It didn’t last; the Mariners lacked composure, hacking the ball away instead of playing out and Wellington pressed forward playing their ace, bringing on the brilliant talisman Paul Ifill. Ifill is a journeyman footballer who didn’t quite fulfil his potential in English football but who is almost a God in Wellington. Reduced to cameo roles, his searing pace gone, he still possesses sublime skills, high intelligence and aggressive intent. He absolutely terrorised the Mariners in the last half-hour; only Reddy stood in defiance, diving for save after save, and brilliantly plucking crosses from the air.
The Mariners sat deep, Flores replaced by Mat Simon to allow McBreen to drop back. It was negative tactics; it makes you wonder if Moss simply does not trust Caceres. Somehow the Mariners held on and took the three very valuable points.
Phil Moss said afterwards that the players were so dejected by the performance it was as if they had lost; that is a good thing; hopefully it means they have the character to bounce back in the next game.
It is quite possible that the random irrational outbursts of Mike Charlesworth is having a destabilising effect; it is possible that losing tough mentor Graham Arnold, and tough driving Andrew Clark, is proving harder to overcome; it is possible that the players are demoralised by yet another player, Michael McGlinchey, probably leaving. Or it may be that the players simply don’t want the Mariners to be based in North Sydney. Whatever the cause, there is no doubt that the Mariners lacked leadership today, on and off the park. That problem must be solved, and quickly.
In a game where Liam Reddy had to make ten saves, including a penalty, there can only be one candidate for Man of the Match. In a game where your keeper has to make ten saves against the worst team in the competition the back four and the holding midfielders must ask serious questions of themselves.

adz

Staff member
Hate to say it but I think Flores had a good game for the Nix, he passed it to them a lot (or at least appeared to).
Hope he gets his mojo back... I think he was finding some good form along side Wee-Mac.

midfielder

The coach has some real thinking to do... it's getting worse not better ...

Our inability to hold the ball ..... movement off the ball ... and pace we play at... are of concern... Duke, Macka, seem a shadow of the players they were last season... Trent misses Dutchie and while he is our best back he is also starting to make some mistakes... Matty what can you say ....

You get the feeling in a game against a top side when the luck goes against us we could cop a flogging ... and our youth side unlike other years is being beaten most weeks ...I actually don't think it is one player in particular more the fluent movement we had in previous years has gone and how we get it back I don't know ... as I said some real thinking is needed ...

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I only saw that last 15min of the match, but that part of the game was frightening - in that period, the ONLY reason we didn't get our arse kicked was because nobody ever told Wellington strikers what they're supposed to be aiming for. 3 chances that an U/16 player should have converted, instead sending it straight to Reddy or over the crossbar. Reddy made a few mistakes in that period as well, and our defence was as watertight as a sieve.

Don't know how the rest of the game went, but it sure didn't end well.

localpom

Mindful that theres alot of negativity on here atm i am only going to say positive things. :) Reddy was magnificent,a confident keeper is critical. Back 4 is starting to gel, if we can get that right then we can tweak the rest as we go. Seip looks a little more comfortable every game. Fitzy did ok, did enough to keep his spot. Storm is developing into an excellent player and will do him the world of good to score. We are 4th and playing terribly, that is not a bad sign. We will improve. I have fond memories of NSO from the Spirit days....its a nice quaint ground, but....Bluetongue is a massively superior stadium.Last night really hit home how lucky we are to play in the best stadium of its size in the country. Anyone wanting to move from Bluetongue to NSO would have to be an absolute idiot. We have 2 very winnable home games coming up which will cement our place in the top 4. Lets be positive,get out there,support our team and drag along as many people as possible.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Oz baggie and myself came to the conclusion last night that Flores is having a years holiday...or he is that subtle in his skills were missing something...
as for Macca...he needs another goals challenge to get his scope set...Fitzy Stormy and Reddy were the grouse...Monty, Seip and Rosey (in the first half) were fairly good...everybody else needs to take a long hard look at themselves indeed....Ernie Merrick must be wondering why his boys cant hit the side of a house

Reactions: adz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred