• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners vs Wellington at NSO - Game Talk

nebakke

Actually, one thing to add... For the Reddy lovefest, he was also part of the reason why we played like we did towards the end... I was seated near our goal, when Reddy got carded towards the end, he still took a long time to get the ball out because he couldn't find someone up the other end to kick it to... Sainsbury was going OFF at him, quite clearly gesticulating that he was entirely free and there was barely a single Phoenix player in our half so just "play me the bl**dy ball"- wording was my enterpretation ;)
After that, Reddy started playing it out when it was clear, but that was only about twice before the game over. I've said it before and I'll probably say it again, there's a time and a place for playing it out, that time/place is when you're not being swarmed with defenders... We've done sort of well, using the long kick to try to deal with high-pressing teams, but yesterday Wellington clearly had us beat in the air, so why the insistence on kicking it high and far?

So while Reddy had an awesome game in goal, his distribution leaves a LOT to be desired methinks.

nebakke

. there were a shitload of kids there ... more than i have ever seen at a mariners game (but that may be reflective of where i usually sit?) ... and it seemed none of them were interested in the football (free/cheap tickets from the local associations/council/mariners perhaps?)

. but the dis-interest wasn't limited to the kids, plenty of people wandering up into the stands to talk to mates ... or the parents of their kids mates ... completely oblivious to people trying to watch the game even as they stood there facing the back of the stand and fans weaving to see past them. or the guy that had to stand up to talk to his child every time he came back from playing with his mates (intervals not exceeding 5 minutes)

Yeah, I got the fairly clear impression that there was quite a "novelty" crowd there, often it felt more like a town fair than a football game... Which was nice for an evening out but pretty poor for a night wathcing the football.
Walking up to the stadium, decked out in team colors, I got quite a few positive comment and questions from people not realising that the game was on yesterday (???!!!), it was lovely but they felt like it was the novelty factor much more than anything... Not convinced that they'd convert to large fan numbers tbh... Especially not considering the already mentioned, large number of SFC/ADP shirts.

yellowcake

It was an odd night. Glad I went. Glad we won...

Getting off the Coastal Liner and into a leafy St Leonards Park in the late afternoon sun with the ('CCM Football' shirted) covers band in the soundshell, the Sydney travelling food fare - authentic Turkish gosleme, woodfired pizza, spit-roasted pork roll with apple sauce and rocket (Mmmm), I thought "there's worse places I could be right now!"

But when I walked into the historic (old), rather spartan NSO, stands way back from the action, my reaction was "what a shit place to watch football" and "no wonder it's cheap".

It was interesting to see the variety of SFC, WSW, one Jets, oh - Phoenix, Socceroos, Spirit, local kids teams and Euro shirts in the one place but pleasing to see - for the forst time in Sydney - yellow and navy being the outnumbering kit.

We joined up with the YA (practice for Monday!) and the effort throughout the game was brilliant, especially there being no mega or horns. The off-the-cuff anti-NSO chants, including while MC was standing talking to Fish (both laughing) were choice. As was the call and response with the rest of the Bob stand, with more than WDWSF, too.

Wilko just standing on the hill with the punters - legend.

As the coach rounded the last curves to CCLC, exposing fortress Bluetongue in all its glory even in darkness, I just wanted to be HOME.

tsd

Understandably there is massive amounts of negativity around that performance BUT having watched most of Wellingtons games this season they have ripped apart ALL the top teams this season without winning. I actually thing we did slightly better against them than Brisbane did last week.

bikinigirl

Oz baggie and myself came to the conclusion last night that Flores is having a years holiday...or he is that subtle in his skills we're missing something...

. it is all part of his performance contract ... with the victory

. he was contractually not allowed to show his true ability until their new marquee signing demonstrated appropriate value and/or the mariners were below them on the table or until the expiration date on his victory contract. he was simply not allowed to cost the mariners any games (the benefit on our side)

. we have now applied for special dispensation owing to the manager leaving (as well as theirs who signed off on the deal), losing our strength and conditioning coach and the predicted departure of his likely partner in midfield mischief. we are hoping to have the contract re-drawn before monday's match

adz

Staff member

. he was contractually not allowed to show his true ability until their new marquee signing demonstrated appropriate value and/or the mariners were below them on the table or until the expiration date on his victory contract. he was simply not allowed to cost the mariners any games (the benefit on our side)

. we have now applied for special dispensation owing to the manager leaving (as well as theirs who signed off on the deal), losing our strength and conditioning coach and the predicted departure of his likely partner in midfield mischief. we are hoping to have the contract re-drawn before monday's match

love it :D

midfielder

Conditioning coach HHHHHmmmmmm for Flores right .... need two coaches one could not get through the work that needs doing...

bikinigirl

Conditioning coach HHHHHmmmmmm for Flores right .... need two coaches one could not get through the work that needs doing...

. which is why we are already gaining some acceptance from the victory regarding the contract provisions ;)

. but seriously i still think we are making him do too much unnecessary defending. i reckon he is doing much more running (in defence) than say mcbreen. he is not well practiced in that and it dulls his effectiveness - when your game is built on touch, finesse and trickery ... only a couple of percent could knock your game about

. i don't know nfl and have never watched it so forgive me if i'm wrong ... but i think we need a timeout at every change-over where our offensive squad is replaced by our defensive. that way matty can come on and do all of flores' defensive running ... it's not like he has any touch to lose (sorry matty)

Big Al

Flores spent less time on the ground he wouldn't be tired from picking himself up.

Has some seriously great vision & touch but man he looks disinterested & is starting to get very cute with no look passes etc. Costing us a lot of turnovers.

I think he's getting worse.

I'm not there yet but getting a bit sick of him actually.

Big Al

Well now I know why all the north sydney people were so keen to hit the bar.

Was more a beer garden atmosphere (although I've been to plenty better beer gardens).

At least at the town fair I can get fairy floss & ride on a giant slippery dip.

NSO while beautiful to look at is shit for football. Never again. Atmosphere was a flat as can be.

You could tell there was only maybe 2-3k mariners fans there. The mariner chant never got past to claps. Including the end of the game when the PA announcer said come on mariners fans the chant. Mate these people didn't know what you were on about they were there to talk to there mates & get pissed. They thought it was a new venue for after work drinks.

When that aweful penalty was given & you'd be lucky to find a boo you knew this wasn't the place for the mariners.

I went I experienced it but wont ever go back.

Plenty of freebies to kids I'd say.

In saying that I'd absolutely love a little 10k stadium. It would fit us perfectly & have great atmosphere. Bluetongue is about 5k to big. To late for that though.

I'd becareful that the CCM don't get split in two. CCM in one company & COE in another. You work out the rest as have to be careful about what you say when have nothing to back up your arguement but a hunch

Big Al

Does Duke have a younger brother?

Saw a kid that looked a lot like him hanging around the tunnel & seemed to know Patty Z.

If so put him to work. Had a very similar frame to duke looked 15-16

sydmariner

Well now I know why all the north sydney people were so keen to hit the bar.

Was more a beer garden atmosphere (although I've been to plenty better beer gardens).

At least at the town fair I can get fairy floss & ride on a giant slippery dip.

NSO while beautiful to look at is shit for football. Never again. Atmosphere was a flat as can be.

You could tell there was only maybe 2-3k mariners fans there. The mariner chant never got past to claps. Including the end of the game when the PA announcer said come on mariners fans the chant. Mate these people didn't know what you were on about they were there to talk to there mates & get pissed. They thought it was a new venue for after work drinks.

When that aweful penalty was given & you'd be lucky to find a boo you knew this wasn't the place for the mariners.

I went I experienced it but wont ever go back.

Plenty of freebies to kids I'd say.

In saying that I'd absolutely love a little 10k stadium. It would fit us perfectly & have great atmosphere. Bluetongue is about 5k to big. To late for that though.

I'd becareful that the CCM don't get split in two. CCM in one company & COE in another. You work out the rest as have to be careful about what you say when have nothing to back up your arguement but a hunch
The reason there was no big chants was cos there was no megaphone & band there last night

nebakke

The reason there was no big chants was cos there was no megaphone & band there last night
Not exclusively... In fact I doubt it that that would've changed anything... YA Tried Mariners-clap-clap-clap a couple of times, as did a group in the stands next to me, who was nicely active, neither really got an uptake... In fact, I reckon you could identify the travelling BT crowd from the few of us that tried to take it up.
It wasn't that it couldn't be heard, at ALL... They were probably the two most succesful attempts last night, they just didn't take, people were busy chatting about their day or something.
The area I sat in, it was the guy behind me and myself and maybe a couple more people up the back, who tried to take it up... No luck :(

eenfish

Does Duke have a younger brother?

Saw a kid that looked a lot like him hanging around the tunnel & seemed to know Patty Z.

If so put him to work. Had a very similar frame to duke looked 15-16

sure it wasn't Patty Z's son? kids about 12-13 I think.

yellowcake

Atmosphere was a flat as can be.

You could tell there was only maybe 2-3k mariners fans there. The mariner chant never got past to claps.
Not true.

Atmosphere abounding in the Bob stand - YA and environs. Can't vouch for how well it carried, it's a looong way around the ground.
But you could have come there if it was atmosphere that your location lacked.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well...I wont be going back...it was fine from the nostalgia point of view...it re-surfaced memories of when I watched the Spirit play whilst having a sneaky joint in the back of one of the stands or when I was little tacker watching the "Berries" beat North Sydney bears 74-0...but it not a very good ground is it...great heritage value, but f**k all apart from that

eenfish

Well...I wont be going back...it was fine from the nostalgia point of view...it re-surfaced memories of when I watched the Spirit play whilst having a sneaky joint in the back of one of the stands or when I was little tacker watching the "Berries" beat North Sydney bears 74-0...but it not a very good ground is it...great heritage value, but f**k all apart from that

Would be perfect for NSWPL team I reckon. Miles better than the facilities at Lambert Park that APIA use.

Wombat

Well we should have had 3 and they should have had 5. Our midfield is a shambles and our defence is lightweight and positionally suspect.

Nothing to really like apart from Reddy's performance. Fitzy added some spark.

Reddy 9. MOM. Two superb saves.
Storm Boy 7. Great goal but still too loose defensively. Made the goal happen by backing himself something his team mates need to do.
Siep 6.5 OK
Tesco 6.5 OK
Rose 6.5 Some good go forward and looked like the leader of the back four but also positionally suspect at times.
Sterj 6. Average and easily mugged.
Hutcho 5.5. Looked like he was hiding out there. I actually saw him 3 times in the Wello half which was nice to see not that he really wanted the ball.
Monty 6. Probably his worse game of the season. Sloppy but great goal line clearance.
Fitzy 6.5. Should have scored and one of our only players that wasnt plodding around.
Flores 6. Some lovely passing and very clever through balls but faded early.
Macca 6.5. Couple of good reverse passes but another plodder.

Lets flog them at training and start practising two touch football for hours on end.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred