• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners stars blitzkrieged over Mad Monday gag

T

thanman

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
And what's wrong with colouring his skin?
How else was he supposed to look like Gordon Freeman?

Just wondering....nobody had even heard of the costumes until it was mentioned in the paper.  And in the first newspaper articles, the Jews were apparently already up in arms.

So how did they know about it before anybody else?

I didn't say it was wrong.. I'm just interpreting it that way.

How the Jews know is God's business lol

tyson

Eggy said:
How come O gradys isnt offensive isn't that mocking the homosexual community ::) If vidmar is offending people why was there no complaints about bruce almighty(and i'm not being biased its not a secret i'm not his number 1 fan)As for gumps He looks like a pretty harmless version of hitler looks like he has purposly left a few important details out and delibratly gone for a lighter take on him.If he was really trying to go as a serious hitler worthy of offence he could have easy added the trade mark symble.

because they probably dont even know. the only reason the jewish community is offended is because the media went and revved them up to get a reaction. they wouldnt know otherwise. its the media who has gone and done this. why vidmars impression of an imaginary character is offensive is beyond me. it was intended to be a movie character anyway... if him dressing like a character is offensive then the movie must be too.

SPARKY

I agree with soccersensei. It was just light hearted fun. Dressing up in Fancy dress on mad Monday is a tradition. Its not offensive, its just players having a good time. Nothing gets said about the 50 blokes that dressed up as Nuns at the one day cricket or Mel Brooks playing Hitler in the movie ,the Producers. The media should get a life and report on something more important.

~Floss~

Judging by the photos which seem to be the only ones in circulation, taken outside in the car-park as players arrived, it was not intended to be a public event.

I suspect the players were expecting a private party amongst themselves and probably never considered that any media member or anyone else outside the team might see them in costume and suggest someone could be offended.

I don't know if this is common everywhere, but around here when there's a big party and a reason to let your hair down a dress-up party is kind of a tradition. I would probably go to 3 or 4 every year and I'm sure if i think about it now in hindsight i could probably suggest several costumes which "could" be labeled equally as offensive by someone if they really wanted to.

My point is this happens regularly at private celebrations (at least on this part of the Coast) and no-one cares. Until the telegraph published the photos, who would have even known, let alone taken offense?

"For all we know", Gumps "may well have been" making light of potentially-offensive suggestions he has had to deal with ??

T

thanman

SPARKY said:
I agree with soccersensei. It was just light hearted fun. Dressing up in Fancy dress on mad Monday is a tradition. Its not offensive, its just players having a good time. Nothing gets said about the 50 blokes that dressed up as Nuns at the one day cricket or Mel Brooks playing Hitler in the movie ,the Producers. The media should get a life and report on something more important.

lol if only they could get a life.

ATTENTION:
If anyone saw the Daily Telegraph yesterday (monday), and saw the Fan Zone, it was me lol.
But with enough self gloating of being in the paper.. ;)
It was the only good rap we got out of that whole paper too :(
Love/Hate media.. mostly hate. the love is Im printed.

dibo

a hitler costume is just f**king stupid though - as if there wasn't going to be a hack hanging around with a camera. even just some fanboy hanging around with a mobile phone might have picked it up, and then the story will run, simple as that.

whether something is or is not wrong, the perception is stronger than the intent.

for the record, i do think it's bloody stupid, and i pretty much agree with the comment from the guy from the jewish board of deputies (not an organisation i exactly agree with all the time, particularly when talking about israel and palestine).

NSW Jewish Board of Deputies' vice president Yair Miller said Gumprecht's costume choice had been insensitive.

"It's regrettable and very disappointing and he should consider issuing an apology of sorts," he said.

"It's extremely unfortunate that somebody would not recognise the implications of dressing in such an outfit and we would hope that people would be more responsible in their celebrations or any other aspect of their lives."

While other Mariners players came dressed in a range of costume pieces including tiaras and Corey Delaney-esque yellow sunglasses, B'nai B'rith spokesman Ernie Friedlander said Gumprecht's outfit was "tasteless".

"Hitler was such a monster and for a lot of people, it's a very sensitive thing to be confronted with. We don't need to be reminded in this way," he said.

sums it up - nobody seriously thinks gumprecht's a racist, but as to whether he's a fool... pretty bloody dopey if you ask me.

FFC Mariner

Well said Dibo.

I would have thought that dressing up as Hitler when you are a German would be up near the top on the list of "Stupid things you must never do"

marconigirl

thanman said:
SPARKY said:

lol if only they could get a life.

ATTENTION:
If anyone saw the Daily Telegraph yesterday (monday), and saw the Fan Zone, it was me lol.
But with enough self gloating of being in the paper.. ;)
It was the only good rap we got out of that whole paper too :(
Love/Hate media.. mostly hate. the love is Im printed.

haha nice photo... ;)

offtheball

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
And what's wrong with colouring his skin?
How else was he supposed to look like Gordon Freeman?

Just wondering....nobody had even heard of the costumes until it was mentioned in the paper.  And in the first newspaper articles, the Jews were apparently already up in arms.

So how did they know about it before anybody else?

Is that Morgan's brother?

marinersman

Couldn't agree more with Dibo and Greenpole.

Being a German and doing that is totally unacceptable.

You've you got some explaining to do Andre. I just hope he issues a public apolpgy and we can all forget it ever happened.

T

thanman

marinersman said:
Couldn't agree more with Dibo and Greenpole.

Being a German and doing that is totally unacceptable.

You've you got some explaining to do Andre. I just hope he issues a public apolpgy and we can all forget it ever happened.
The media will remind us.
We just have to win Season 4 and then it's gone. :D

Aden

This is just all  stupid.  viddy was playin a charachter and get over it about gumps he is just  trynna have a bit of fun..  everyone htese days overdramtizes bout everything . If I dressed up In a chicken wing suit would that offend the black community ... gimmea break please

T

thanman

Aden said:
This is just all  stupid.  viddy was playin a charachter and get over it about gumps he is just  trynna have a bit of fun..  everyone htese days overdramtizes bout everything . If I dressed up In a chicken wing suit would that offend the black community ... gimmea break please
lol and there i was thinking it would offend chickens..

skilbeck

im upset there was no sperm suit, but then again conservative christians would probably get upset for using it to promote sex outside of marriage or some stupid justification

Aden

too many bull**** restrctions these days  "oh no u cant dress up as a pizza boy as it may offend mario and luigi "  or u cant dress up in a suit made of cotton balls because thats wht black people use to pick in the fields back int he day    bla blah blah  ..  btw that last bit i can say cuz im half black hahahah

Tez

its a bit silly really, i can see howw it causes some people to be upset, but im sure no harm was intended and those pic's were never meant to go public. im pretty sure it was all in jest and some people take things to seriously..

the players certainly didnt on mad monday!
Also i dont see  why Vidmar's costume is deemed to be offensive

SamCC

i think this is the funniest thing to happen in the a-league.
and when will the jews get a grip. People dress up as george bush but do the innocent iraqis killed by his war get up in arms? no they probably laugh cos those dressed up as him are taking the piss just like those who dress as hitler are having a laugh at him.
the world needs to lighten up.
as for vidmars costume....im beyond words to explain how that was offensive. im suprised johnny aloisi's lawrence of arabia costume was deemed anti-muslim or somethign stupid like that

Shooter25

Dibo has it spot on....  public figures are subject to scrutiny and a higher set of moral social standards.

Dressing up as Hitler is just stupid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred