• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners stars blitzkrieged over Mad Monday gag

serious14

From our c*nts, sorry - friends over at the Telegraph........

0,,5907416,00.jpg

"TWO Central Coast Mariners players are today facing disciplinary action after attending yesterday's Mad Monday celebrations dressed as Adolf Hitler and God.

Football Federation Australia CEO Ben Buckley branded the actions of Andre Gumprecht and Tony Vidmar "stupid" and said he would seek explanations for their behaviour.

German-born Gumprecht's decision to attend the event in Terrigal, on the Central Coast, dressed as Hitler drew criticism from Jewish groups, who described the costume as "disgusting" and urged him to apologise.

The 33-year-old midfielder was photographed alongside Vidmar, who appeared in white robes with his face blackened. He is understood to have been portraying Morgan Freeman, who played God in the 2003 film Bruce Almighty. Vidmar's nickname is God.

The players and their teammates had travelled back to the Central Coast following their 1-0 loss to the Newcastle Jets during the A-League Grand Final in Sydney on Sunday.

In a statement released by the FFA last night, Mr Buckley said the matter would be investigated further.

The incident could jeopardise Gumprecht's future with the club - he has not yet re-signed for next season.

"Such behaviour is not only stupid, but is also not tolerated by the FFA," Mr Buckley said.

"Our policy is clear. Any conduct that threatens, disparages, vilifies or insults another person, or group of people, on the basis of that person's race, religion, age, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin is abhorrent to FFA, whether on or off the field."

NSW Jewish Board of Deputies' vice president Yair Miller said Gumprecht's costume choice had been insensitive.

"It's regrettable and very disappointing and he should consider issuing an apology of sorts," he said.

"It's extremely unfortunate that somebody would not recognise the implications of dressing in such an outfit and we would hope that people would be more responsible in their celebrations or any other aspect of their lives."

While other Mariners players came dressed in a range of costume pieces including tiaras and Corey Delaney-esque yellow sunglasses, B'nai B'rith spokesman Ernie Friedlander said Gumprecht's outfit was "tasteless".

"Hitler was such a monster and for a lot of people, it's a very sensitive thing to be confronted with. We don't need to be reminded in this way," he said.

Australia/Israel Jewish Affairs Council spokesman Allon Lee said Gumprecht, a married father who runs a sporting academy for children, had an obligation to be more responsible.

"Without knowing all the details, this is clearly in poor taste, even if it was done in jest. He is a role model and he should consider the impact of his actions," Mr Lee said.

Jewish community spokesman David Knoll said he hoped Gumprecht would learn a lesson from his choice of costume yesterday.

"No doubt he didn't think about the implications of what he was doing. I would think that he did not give much thought to his choice of costume and given the opportunity to think about it, wouldn't repeat the exercise.""

:soapbox:

*grumbles*  Scraping the barrel for story's today, ay Telegraph??

Surely the fact that Gumprecht is from Germany had something to do with his choice of costume??  I won't comment further because by personal views on Israel will get in the way, so I'll let others say what they want......

As for Vidmar's costume - GET. THE. F*CK. OVER. IT. CONSERVATIVE. CHRISTIAN. MEDIA.  You seem to think you have some be all and end all right to comment on all things religious.  What if Vidmar was an atheist and taking the piss??  Not to mention that they say it themselves in the article - "Vidmar's nickname is God".

*sigh*  What a wash up to the game.......

fishmum

Once again it appears that the Mariners are being persecuted, no matter what they do, even when letting off steam and going out to try and have some fun and trying to forget the misery of what had happened the day and night before, they still cop a blasting...
If you ask me, I think that Gumps looks more like Steve Martin, Just because he is german and has a mostash doesn't really show that he is being hitler?.... is he wearing a swatzsticker?.. No!!

He is wearing an Army jacket and mostash..heck he could be a character from dads army?
or the yellow army for that matter!!

sheesh..........

Things are really becoming pathetic when they attack a group of innocent people like this, just for letting their hair down and trying to have some fun. I believe it is the jewish groups own interpretation that gumps is hitler...As I said I could interpret him as mel brooks or steve martin

FFC Mariner

I'm sorry, but Andre's choice of costume is not only insensitive it is stupid and disrespectful.

I believe that in his homeland, it is still a criminal act and for a German to do this is unbelievably offensive and shows a stunning lack of historical awareness.

This isnt some PC rant, there are some lines you dont cross. Would people think it acceptable for him to wear KKK gear??

As a German, he would know the dumbness of what he did.

jaypee

Greenpoleffc said:
I'm sorry, but Andre's choice of costume is not only insensitive it is stupid and disrespectful.

I believe that in his homeland, it is still a criminal act and for a German to do this is unbelievably offensive and shows a stunning lack of historical awareness.

This isnt some PC rant, there are some lines you dont cross. Would people think it acceptable for him to wear KKK gear??

As a German, he would know the dumbness of what he did.

Greenpole - Totally agree with your comments, Look at the amount of times someone has been pulled up for this - Prince Harry etc, you would think you would know better.

I have no issues with Viddie dressed as God etc

Mariner Girl

What are they going to do with my Viddy - Ban him too..  :fireup:
Get a life FFA - you halfwitted MORONS

OK, Andre should have been more thoughtful, but what do they have done, run it all by the FFA to ask what they would approved and what they would disapproved.

cruiser

I think that Gumps should apologise for any offence caused as it was a bit insensitive but it's hardly vilifying,  threatening or disparaging and barely insulting. Given the contexy for Vidmar's costume I see no problem.

It does feel like the Terrorgraph is orchestrating a gang up on the Mariners. Like we dont have enough problems right now.

What an awful few days.

T

thanman

OMG! get over yourselves FFA!

Insensitive my ass.
The world's too damn worried about sensitivity.

How many other people in the whole world have dressed up as God and Hitler? Quite alot. It's a big planet.

Man lobbying groups, just love having a cry over something so small.
Sure, Hitler is a bad man. But get over it. He's dead.
Telegraph is a sydney paper and surprise surprise would be doing anything to help Sydney FC keep a better rep than us in any light.
It was a day to have fun and dress up - like so many people have done even for parties.
OH NO I HOPE THE FFA DOESN'T START GOING AROUND BREAKING UP PARTIES WEARING 'NAUGHTY NAUGHTY' COSTUMES HEAVEN F***ING FORBID!~~

90 minutes.
90 ways to make us wonder why we bother with the FFA.

FFC Mariner

thanman said:
OMG! get over yourselves FFA!

Insensitive my ass.
The world's too damn worried about sensitivity.

How many other people in the whole world have dressed up as God and Hitler? Quite alot. It's a big planet.

Man lobbying groups, just love having a cry over something so small.
Sure, Hitler is a bad man. But get over it. He's dead.
Telegraph is a sydney paper and surprise surprise would be doing anything to help Sydney FC keep a better rep than us in any light.
It was a day to have fun and dress up - like so many people have done even for parties.
OH NO I HOPE THE FFA DOESN'T START GOING AROUND BREAKING UP PARTIES WEARING 'NAUGHTY NAUGHTY' COSTUMES HEAVEN F***ING FORBID!~~

90 minutes.
90 ways to make us wonder why we bother with the FFA.

You mean because you dont have any idea about why, and how it is offensive then it isnt offensive??

Just because you dont get it, doesnt make it irrelevant.

fishmum

Greenpole,
I am trying my hardest here to be understanding and I do fully appreciate the importance of not glorifying hitler.
But as I stated, Andre is not wearing a schwartz sticker, or using the symbol of the german war.
all he has on is a jacket and moustash and hat. I think Andre was very careful in how he dressed.
As I said it is up to others how they interpret what he wore. And if people choose to see him as hitler, that's their personal problem. Not Andre's

Would it have got the same reaction if he dressed as Sadam hussain? or a devil? or bin larden?
All evil people.

Maybe Australians shouldn't dress as they did in the 60's and 70's  would this be glorifying stealing a generation?

skilbeck

gumprecht as hitler is an obviously poor choice and it might warrant an apology to jewish groups and it definite propogates a stereotype that Germans have been trying to get rid of for years. As for Vidmar, there is no way that could be considered offensive to your normal sane person.

rosko

When I first saw Gumps, I thought he was dressed as the old guy out of Dad's Army. Maybe he should run with that defence!

Ted

Hmm maybe he is hinting at the persecution of the mariners by those in power? But yeah he does look like a Dad's Army character....

As to the God reference, seems someone is always hung up over religion, lol...

fishmum

I was just reading the comments about this, from the Brisbane Courier...
it appears that every post there all state how silly it is to make a big deal out of this....
It appears that some of the Mariners fans a making more of thing about this, and saying Andre shouldn't have dressed that way...

Yet comments everywhere else, are to the contrary....
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/comments/0,23836,23274576-953,00.html

fishmum

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/comments/0,23836,23274576-953,00.html

For crying out loud - get a life it was bit of fun. Really do we have to have an investigation it was all harmless fun from a team that had just lost the GF - I cant believe the fuss. Its not like they are raping women like some sporting stars or taking Drugs like others. Good on em!

Posted by: roar fan 7:12am today

Just so I've got this right, it was Mad Monday and one guy was wereing a really bad Adolf Mo and the other guy dressed like an American actor who played God in a movie.

So tell me what can you wear to a Fancy Dress Party that will not offend anyone? Lets face it they weren't at a NAZI Rally or some anti Christian convention, they were at a Fancy Dress Party. GET OVER IT.

Posted by: JohnB 6:31am today

Political Correctness gone mad. What's wrong with playing an actor whose played god? What does god look like and who cares? And the other fellow doesn't look anything like Adolf. For one thing, he's wearing a British uniform and cap in the picture. He looks more like the guy from "On the buses"! And why can't he dress up like Hitler. Is it OK to dress like Gengis Khan who probably killed millions more? Would the indigineous people of Australia protest if he dressed like Captain Cook? Who writes the rules? The wars long over people, get over it and just focus on ensuring the things that Adolf did never happen again.

Posted by: Rodrick O'Brien of Brisbane

Pokes

For goodness sakes.

Ok, the Hitler thing was a bit far (BTW, Anyone see Danny? He went as that Corey Kid....very funny), but Vidmar as God? Funny! I'm a Christian and have no problem with it. People "dress" as Jesus (such as....well...Jesus...at the Grand Final....) all the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred