• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Rowdy

As for Gameiro, will be highly interested to see how he performs on return ???
- and pray the poor bastard doesnt have a repeat break-down.

fingers crossed.jpg

Forum Phoenix

This is just speculation, with no solid evidence to back it up:

Tom H has been frozen out cause he's going to be moved on in January for a marque. Contractually and financially, is that possible?
There has been some noise that a marque will be signed every few years with one possible in January.
If that's the case, it had better be a good one that will produce results.
For me, I'd rather have Tom H stay. He's not marque status, but has quality and fight when given his chance.

I’d considered this, but it doesn’t explain him being dropped. You don’t need to freeze out a quality player if you plan to move him on. You just use your asset until time to move/replace it.

It’s pretty clear this has been a combination of Mulvey and Monty believing that Melling out fights Tom and wanting that fight on the park. And a niggling calf would have made reversing that ruling harder to achieve.

I want Tom in, but I don’t think anything too nefarious or strange is going on. Melling has been mishitting passes and is not as game smart as we need. But he’s also been bleeding yellow on the park and giving no quarter to anyone he plays, and that seems to be holding sway with the manager.

I don’t hate Mulvey for that, because I can at least see his reasoning, but I hate not having Tom on the park and think we’re losing these games based on quality, not heart at present.

Last edited:

turbo

I’d considered this, but it doesn’t explain him being dropped. You don’t need to freeze out a quality player if you plan to move him on. You just use your asset until time to move/replace it.

The only logic that fits that line of thinking is to push him toward a mid season mutual termination if you intend to replace him or save money.

Forum Phoenix

Then why didn’t mulvey elaborate on his condition ??? In his announcement???

I’d say because he’s not fully out injured. But the calf is also not 100%. It sounds to me like he did 45 mins, felt it tightening, and as would have been discussed with the physio prior, came off. And now has to keep building on it.

Whether he’ll do that in youth again or against the nix who knows. To be fair to Mulvey with all the heat on here, there is a liability putting a player on the bench who has a calf issue and you know is not 100% yet.

priorpeter

I’d say because he’s not fully out injured. But the calf is also not 100%. It sounds to me like he did 45 mins, felt it tightening, and as would have been discussed with the physio prior, came off. And now has to keep building on it.

Whether he’ll do that in youth again or against the nix who knows. To be fair to Mulvey with all the heat on here, there is a liability putting a player on the bench who has a calf issue and you know is not 100% yet.

That’s pretty much the crux of it

Offsider

What ???? ........... the coach gives a report on the injured ......... but doesn’t include Tom because he only has a slight injury.
However, isn’t that the same as only being part pregnant ???....... not fully out injured ????

It really does scare me as to what you think fp ........ sometimes.

turbo

If he has an issue that's kept him out of 3 games and only 17 minutes in another I'd suggest that's enough to comment on given his prominence in our squad and previous season. A simple "Tom H has had some niggling issues with his calf over the last few weeks so we've been resting him as much as possible to get it 100%, at this stage we expect to name him for this weekend but will need to wait until closer to the day to see what role he plays for us" would go a long way.

Rowdy

Mulvey has said in last post match interview we need a 'creative play-maker' & until he finds/signs/ & lands 'one' on the Coast, he needs to start adapting to the crisis he's/we are in.

By that I'm refering to thinking he has nothing in the cupboard, when in reality the answer is sitting under his nose
..... Tommy.

First thing to remember,
* Mulvey doesnt mind playing player's out of their 'natural positions', clearly demonstrated with:
- left footed Rowles @ RB for the first x5 games
- as well as stupidly playing Golec @ LWB last week.

I saw enough of Hiariej last season to convince me he could easily (& actually be quite effective @ AM, which * I'll touch on in a moment) because he ticks the boxes required:

- technically superb 'on the ball'
- knows when/where for directing play to open space
- reliably 'hits-targets' when passing to teamates
- smart enough to see good lines for thru balls forcing team mates to run onto them.

Ask yourself these simple Q's of who you'd think would be better at AM :
1) Hoole or Hiariej ?
2) McGlinchey or Hiariej ?
3) Berry or Hiariej ?
4) O'Neil or Hiariej ?
5) Melling or Hiariej ?
6) Shabow or Hiariej ?
7) Nesbitt or Hiariej ?

With a minimum of x4 more games (poss. x5/6) until Mulvey can land a new AM in January window, the above 7 options are ALL Mike's got !

Now some of you might extoll taking a chance on maybe Shabow or the even more diminutive Nesbitt ?? - but I would remind you of the fcuking hole we're in & that a wiser man or Coach SHOULD go with the proven player because ....

We / Mulvey KNOW what were gonna get from Hiariej if he was to be pushed further up the park.

* And here's where DM Hiariej could be quite effective at AM that I alluded to before.

PRESSING without position.

If Mulvey tweaks his 3-5-2 formation to a 4 - 2 -1 -3 instead.

My prefered for the Nix game:

----------------------- Kennedy ----------------------

-- Millar ------ Cisse ---- Rowles ---- Clisby

--------------McGing ----- O'Neil --------------

------------------------- Hiariej ---------------------

------------- Murray ------------ Pain ------------

------------------------- Simon ------------------------

Hiariaj sits at the bottom of a with the 3 fast players of Pain,Simo & Murray in front of him all pressing the oppositions back line.

Hiariej using his tackling skills and abillity to read passes either:
- cut's' off passes
- or forces errors in the opposition playing out from the back into their midfield.
.... quickly transitioning back to attack with Tommy driving towards goal to shoot, slode balls thru for Muzza,Simo or Pain
- or asking Millar to push forward to whip a ball

Or Hiariejcould just turnit back to O'Neol or McGing, keep possession & start again.

Millar and Clisby will be pushed up to be slightly behind Tommy's left & right respectively.

Muzza & Pain should 'tuck-in' and play narrower to allow Millar & Clisby to getoutside & around them, bringing them into & to attack from the wider area.
- this allows Muzza & Oain to be more central outside the 18 for shots on goals
....... which we REALLY NEED !

O'Neil & McGing, who's natural position is at DM, need to be instructed to be sitting/ screening in front of our back 4, looking to pick up sneaky balls succesfully passed in behind Clisby/Hiariej/Millar.

Likewise when we look to play out from the back, McGing ---- O'Neilneed to be providing passing outlets for our defenders on each of their respective left & right sides.

As McGing/O'Neil recieves - 'TURN-OUT' & either :
- look to their respective sidelines to play Millar forward down that right side and Clisby down the left.
- or 'TURN-FULLY' & look to FIND Hiariaj, who'll be sliding left or right across his line looking for space/opportunities to bring
- Millar up into the attack on the RHS
- or go forward to Muzza

Ditto for the LHS players.

Screenshot_2018-12-12-13-00-53-1-1.jpg

After 7 STRAIGHT LOSES !!!
- Mulvey has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LOSE utillising/playing Hiariej at AM & in this way.

This formation of a back 4 with Clisby & Millar (who's been outstanding) still allows both to get forward, help defend in Midfield as well as sit ina flat back 4 when under pressure in our back 1/3rd.

Like I've pointed out, the cupboard IS 'bare' & we or more importantly Mulvey hasn't got a lot to lose doing this as an experiment than he already has.

Last edited:

Offsider

I reckon :popcorn: ............ Ross isn’t injured at all.

He may have tweaked a knee, but the diagnosis and time delay etc don’t add up with now the need to go back to uk for treatment ??. That should have been known weeks ago.

I reckon the treatment he needs is to not spend two xmas’s in a row away from his young family.:wub:

A much better reason, to miss a few games considering he hasn’t had any service at all to show what he can do.......... than blaming a tweaked knee and his lack of condition.

I am happy for him ......... I won’t miss the one or two touches he might have had because the opposition could target him as the only real threat and simon would probably be offside anyway:doh:.

And it opens the door for npl star, whoever he is.

Cheers :cheers:

Offsider

Mulvey has said in last post match interview we need a 'creative play-maker' & until he finds/signs/ & lands 'one' on the Coast, he needs to start adapting to the crisis he's/we are in.

By that I'm refering to thinking he has nothing in the cupboard, when in reality the answer is sitting under his nose
..... Tommy.

First thing to remember,
* Mulvey doesnt mind playing player's out of their 'natural positions', clearly demonstrated with:

I saw enough of Hiariej last season to convince me he could easily (& actually be quite effective @ AM, which I'll touch on in a moment) because he ticks the boxes required:

- smart enough to see good lines for thru balls forcing team mates to run onto them.

1) Hoole or Hiariej ?
3) Berry or Hiariej ?
4) O'Neil or Hiariej ?
5) Melling or Hiariej ?
6) Shabow or Hiariej ?
7) Nesbitt or Hiariej ?

With a minimum of x4 more games (poss. x5/6) until Mulvey can land a new AM in January window, the above 7 options are ALL Mike's got !

Now some of you might extoll taking a chance on maybe Shabow or the even more diminutive Nesbitt ?? - but I would remind you of the fcuking hole we're in & that a wiser man or Coach SHOULD go with the proven player because ....

We / Mulvey KNOW what were gonna get from Hiariej if he was to be pushed further up the park.

And here's where DM Hiariej could be quite effective at AM that I alluded to before.

Hiariaj sits at the bottom of a with the 3 fast players of Pain,Simo & Murray in front of him all pressing the oppositions back line.

Hiariej using his tackling skills and abillity to read passes either
- cut's' off passes
- or forces errors in the opposition playing out from the back into their midfield.

Millar and Clisby will be pushed up to be slightly behind Tommy's left & right respectively.

Muzza & Pain should 'tuck-in' and play narrower to allow Millar & Clisby to getoutside & around them, bringing them into & to attack from the wider area.

O'Neil & McGing, who's natural position is at DM, need to be instructed to be sitting/ screening in front of our back 4, looking to pick up sneaky balls succesfully passed in behind Clisby/Hiariej/Millar.

Likewise when we look to play out from the back, McGing ---- O'Neilneed to be providing passing outlets for our defenders on each of their respective left & right sides.

- look to their respective sidelines to play Millar forward down that right side and Clisby down the left.
- or 'TURN-FULLY' & look to FIND Hiariaj, who'll be sliding left or right across his line looking for space/opportunities to bring
- or go forward to Muzza

- Mulvey has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LOSE utillising/playing Hiariej at AM & in this way.

This formation of a back 4 with Clisby & Millar (who's been outstanding) still allows both to get forward, help defend in Midfield as well as sit ina flat back 4 when under pressure in our back 1/3rd.

Like I've pointed out, the cupboard IS 'bare' & we or more importantly Mulvey hasn't got a lot to lose doing this as an experiment than he already has.

The only problem I see with that is simon. The players you have behind him are too fast for him and he will get in the way.......... or offside. His best use is last fifteen minutes chasing the game.

Forum Phoenix

What ???? ........... the coach gives a report on the injured ......... but doesn’t include Tom because he only has a slight injury.
However, isn’t that the same as only being part pregnant ???....... not fully out injured ????

It really does scare me as to what you think fp ........ sometimes.

No. It isn’t.

I would have clicked disagree with your post Offy. But it’s clear that the rational thought does ‘sometimes’ scare you.
o_O

Professional athletes are more often than not carrying niggles and managing lesser injuries, So not mentioning Tom in this instance is neither here nor there. And we know there’s more to his non selection than his calf niggle anyway. But it’s still obviously a consideration.

I think we’re all desperate to see Tom, but there’s no value in forming a lynch mob for Mulvey right now that I can see.

Forum Phoenix

If he has an issue that's kept him out of 3 games and only 17 minutes in another I'd suggest that's enough to comment on given his prominence in our squad and previous season. A simple "Tom H has had some niggling issues with his calf over the last few weeks so we've been resting him as much as possible to get it 100%, at this stage we expect to name him for this weekend but will need to wait until closer to the day to see what role he plays for us" would go a long way.

I agree that comment would be fine. But that wouldn’t be true would it.

It would be, Monty and I prefer Melling’s mongrel. Oh and his calf is not 100%.

You don’t play 1 minute, let alone 45 minutes on a calf that is not approaching close to full strength.

Forum Phoenix

I reckon :popcorn: ............ Ross isn’t injured at all.

He may have tweaked a knee, but the diagnosis and time delay etc don’t add up with now the need to go back to uk for treatment ??. That should have been known weeks ago.

I reckon the treatment he needs is to not spend two xmas’s in a row away from his young family.:wub:

A much better reason, to miss a few games considering he hasn’t had any service at all to show what he can do.......... than blaming a tweaked knee and his lack of condition.

I am happy for him ......... I won’t miss the one or two touches he might have had because the opposition could target him as the only real threat and simon would probably be offside anyway:doh:.

And it opens the door for npl star, whoever he is.

Cheers :cheers:

Such conspiracy nonsense.

You’re a manager, winless in 7, your big name, big money, big talent striker just wants to piss off for 6 weeks and you go, yeah no worries and roll over. And Charlesworth is all good with it too I’m sure.

Or could it be, that all the squad and managers etc are not concocting a giant story, and he actually tweaked his knee????? ...... ??????.......?????.......?????.....?????????????????????????...... :rolleyes:

How stupid would they have to be. News would get out in no time.

You should go work for a Russian news agency Offy.

Forum Phoenix

..... Tommy.

First thing to remember,

I saw enough of Hiariej last season to convince me he could easily (& actually be quite effective @ AM, which * I'll touch on in a moment) because he ticks the boxes required:

1) Hoole or Hiariej ?
3) Berry or Hiariej ?
4) O'Neil or Hiariej ?
5) Melling or Hiariej ?
6) Shabow or Hiariej ?
7) Nesbitt or Hiariej ?

* And here's where DM Hiariej could be quite effective at AM that I alluded to before.

Hiariej using his tackling skills and abillity to read passes either:
- cut's' off passes
.... quickly transitioning back to attack with Tommy driving towards goal to shoot, slode balls thru for Muzza,Simo or Pain
- or asking Millar to push forward to whip a ball

Or Hiariejcould just turnit back to O'Neol or McGing, keep possession & start again.

- or go forward to Muzza

View attachment 1232

Love it, agree he could be a great 10 in this league, mulvey acknowledged what a technical footballer he is.

Wombat

Such conspiracy nonsense.

You’re a manager, winless in 7, your big name, big money, big talent striker just wants to piss off for 6 weeks and you go, yeah no worries and roll over. And Charlesworth is all good with it too I’m sure.

Or could it be, that all the squad and managers etc are not concocting a giant story, and he actually tweaked his knee????? ...... ??????.......?????.......?????.....?????????????????????????...... :rolleyes:

How stupid would they have to be. News would get out in no time.

You should go work for a Russian news agency Offy.

I think he is closer to the mark than you think.

Offsider

Seems a very long bow. Why do you think that?

Fp .......... thx for the consideration earlier. I can’t remember what it was but I remember thinking I must be growing on you :rolleyes:.
But it’s not a conspiracy theory. I notice in your comments you accept tom as injured but only a niggle etc etc. but can play youth but can’t play in first team ???? ...... I think that’s strange ...... playing is playing......... now out till after the jan window starts ???. Tom is a free agent at end of season Jan window is only chance mc can recoup the cash wasted on this seasons mistaken decisions. Out till the window ensures healthy medical result eh ???.
If you do a time line of both Tom and Ross you will notice there are some amazing gaps between actions and injuries and management comments.

Ross is also under a cloud. His time line is ideal for a threeway contract discount negotiation to let him go home for xmas. It is debatable he would come back fit enough to play so adding weeks to his outage and mc getting nothing for his dollars. Any money mc saves this season I would say is a no-brainer. I would hope any negotiation ( if there was of course) would include his agreement to come back next season.

The results this season are what they are ........... with both Tom and Ross only having minimal game time touches. The upside is gametime for some of the squad up and comers.

Cheers.
:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami