• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Gratis

and to be honest the McGlinchey wanting out thing happened straight after Moss took over. I always had the impression there was rather a bad relationship there and maybe had more to do with it than we know...
I don't think it was ever about the club.

All totally speculation btw

localpom

McGlinchey was a top player in one of the best A-League squads of all time.
He has it in him and can bring it back even if that form has dipped in recent years.

I'm with Ozhammer in that: "Nick [edit. AND the club] would know what sort of character he truly is and probably has more awareness than we do of what was really going on around his previous departure [the club DEFINITELY knows what went on], so if he [and the club] is cool with that, then so am I."
It wasn't all that long ago. I can't believe anyone at the club has forgotten it and if it really was something to take issue with there is no way they'd have him back.

So,
I have to simply trust the club on that front and view this purely from a signing perspective.
* Previous player who instills the culture we want. Tick.
* Quality player who has dipped a bit in form but has it in him. Tick. (let's be honest - this has been the CCM recruitment strategy for many years. We've never been able to afford players in top form but buy them at a low and bring them back to the goods)
* Affordable. Tick.
* In a position we need to address. Tick.

I'm good with this signing. Holding a grudge about something I don't know the details of, when those actually involved don't appear to hold a grudge, seems inane to me.
I think WeeMac is one of those players who will flourish in half decent sides. We need 3 or 4 more players of quality before we can be that but the signs are there (add Cisse and the expected English forward, a decent RB and we are almost there). The rest comes down to a great culture, management and a bit of luck.

Reactions: adz

midfielder

Squad & Coaches to date 17 players .... 9 coaching staff...
3 Keepers, ......... Kennedy, Pearce, Gauci
5 Backs ....... Golec, McGing... Clisby ... Rowles ... Aspropotamitis!
6 Mids .......... Berry, Melling, Hiariej... Pain... Mario Shabow ... McGlinchey
3 Forwards..... Hoole, .... Gamerio .....Matty S
Rumours
Former EPL Def Mid now Thailand player CB ---- Kalifa Cisse
English forward --- Darren Bent ----- Adam Le Fondre
English Defender -name unkown
from WSW - Thwaite,
from CCM -- is DDS staying
Youth side possible upgrades
Kekeris
Nisbet
Coaching Staff
Head Coach:... Mike Mulvey
Assistant Coach: Nick Montgomery
Assistant Coach: Ray Junna
Goalkeeping Coach: Matt Nash
Head of Performance: Andrew Young
Physiotherapist: David McGinness
Central Coast Mariners Academy Director: Ken Schembri
Team Manager: Jesse Canning
Kit Manager: Melissa Woods

Offsider

McGlinchey was a top player in one of the best A-League squads of all time.
He has it in him and can bring it back even if that form has dipped in recent years.

I'm with Ozhammer in that: "Nick [edit. AND the club] would know what sort of character he truly is and probably has more awareness than we do of what was really going on around his previous departure [the club DEFINITELY knows what went on], so if he [and the club] is cool with that, then so am I."
It wasn't all that long ago. I can't believe anyone at the club has forgotten it and if it really was something to take issue with there is no way they'd have him back.

So,
I have to simply trust the club on that front and view this purely from a signing perspective.
* Previous player who instills the culture we want. Tick.
* Quality player who has dipped a bit in form but has it in him. Tick. (let's be honest - this has been the CCM recruitment strategy for many years. We've never been able to afford players in top form but buy them at a low and bring them back to the goods)
* Affordable. Tick.
* In a position we need to address. Tick.

I'm good with this signing. Holding a grudge about something I don't know the details of, when those actually involved don't appear to hold a grudge, seems inane to me.

I cannot let this go through to the keeper ............ " he has it in him ??? .......... and can Bring it back " blah blah blah ...... And this is what the-club does ....... Buy them at a low and bring them back. Like who for instance. There is a thread of shit players that lists so many failed recruitments that attest to your assessment except for bringing them back.

If the nix thought there was any chance he would get it back .......... and the national team has dropped him .......... this is nothing more than an elcheapo squad-filler rated as an exciting player we need.

To my mind it is far easier to start afresh and have the coach build a new culture of his own than to try and rebuild a culture from five years ago with the owner that has caused the culture to be lost in the first place. I don't buy the excuse to recruit past players for their inherent culture to cover the low $ outlay. It was a good squad no question but not as good as most of today's.

To my mind simon and mcglinchey are taking up the space that I would rather have seen go to the next wales or buhagiar and bring them on which mulvey is supposed to have a reputation for.

Couldn't care less about previous contractual situations they are not relevant to ability but only effect the mind etc.

The only positive I see in the squad to date is the old whipping boy msging looks like he is taking his game to the next level......... Maybe even the next couple of levels with a good coach.

If you really want a downer .......... compare the Adelaide united squad to ccm for the ff. Cup game as it stands now. :popcorn:

pjennings

I heard he wanted to come back and play alongside his NT mates and go where some of his roots are, so they used the change of name to get him out. Never knew that failed and he paid?

It wasn't that simple from memory. We didn't want to play him that year because we had our full squad when he was released from Japan. We were happy to loan him to the Nix. I believe (I was told - whether this is the fact I do not know) he wanted to retain his Australian ties with a view to eventually settling in Australia. The change in contract supposedly affected his visa and therefore affected qualification for his eventual citizenship.

scottmac

Suspended
Mcglinchey isn't a bad signing. He won't be getting what we used to pay him or what he got at Wellington. He'll not disappear as much as Desilva did he'll be stronger on the ball and won't disappear for international duty anymore. People will forget their faux rage once other signings are announced. Less controversial than Simon IMO.

BaysideMariner

I spoke to a few Mariners supporters today with mixed reactions from - He hasn't got it anymore to - he is still young enough to do something. I think that most on here seem to know more than most of the general population regarding him leaving and have a right to an opinion either way.
For me I remember being really pissed off about the way that he left but I do remember bumping into him at Erina Fair and seeing the passion he had for the club. (even though I had to listen closely to every word so I could understand him.) We will see what he brings. I hope that NM had a part of his recruitment as I do trust his judgement.

Ozhammer

Weemac’s departure was around the time that MC was reeling from the true horror of the club’s finances post-championship after his hurried take over.

Accordingly, he was looking to slash costs in any way he could, hence the exodus of players that were replaced with cheaper options, which subsequently resulted in the team’s long descent into mediocrity.

My understanding was that MC was only too happy to lose a well paid player and his irritation stemmed only from the fact that he couldn’t get a fee for Weemac when the coffers were empty.

As much as folks might see the whole thing as a player trying to force through a move against his club’s wishes (DDS anyone?), in this case there was definitely more to the backstory.

Gratis

And this is what the-club does ....... Buy them at a low and bring them back. Like who for instance.
So, those who were out of form, unable to establish themselves somewhere etc etc that came here and rediscovered form:

McGlinchey himself, Josh Rose, Daniel McBreen, Mitch Austin (arguably), Mile Jedinak, Pedj Bojic, Roy O'Donovan, Tom Rogic, even Graham Arnold...just off the top of my head.

Add to that the unproven youth brought in, or up, for min. cost (that is, the club buying at a low) - Ryan, Ibini-Isei, Amini, Duke, Sainsbury etc.

It's how the little club always managed to compete in the past.
Apology accepted.

Last edited:

Gratis

In the golden era we always had a team sheet that made me think, wow, we really have so few 'names' or players of proven quality, how will we honestly compete?
Now you look back at those same team sheets and it'd be a dream to have a team like that.
Eg. how good was this period over about 2 years where our squad included:

Mathew Ryan
Daniel McBreen
Joshua Rose
Pedj Bojić
Patrick Zwaanswijk(Vice-captain)
John Hutchinson(Captain)
Bernie Ibini-Isei (Youth)
Tom Rogić(Youth)
Oliver Bozanić
Michael McGlinchey
Trent Sainsbury(Youth)
Nick Montgomery
Mitchell Duke
Mile Sterjovski
Adam Kwasnik
Nicholas Fitzgerald
Mustafa Amini
Alex Wilkinson
Patricio Perez

Then let's not forget Jedi and a few others not long before that...crazy good times

Gratis

So, those who were out of form, unable to establish themselves somewhere etc etc that came here and rediscovered form:

McGlinchey himself, Josh Rose, Daniel McBreen, Mitch Austin (arguably), Mile Jedinak, Pedj Bojic, Roy O'Donovan, Tom Rogic, even Graham Arnold...just off the top of my head.

Add to that the unproven youth brought in, or up, for min. cost (that is, the club buying at a low) - Ryan, Ibini-Isei, Amini, Duke, Sainsbury etc.

It's how the little club always managed to compete in the past.
Apology accepted.
I might as well pre-empt the clear and obvious counter argument now. There were also a raft of players where this recruitment strategy failed (Cernak et al.).
But I only said that to be honest it's historically been ccm's strategy to recruit that way - buy low to improve and/or sell high
Regardless, all club have recruited dud players throughout their history

Scotty

For me, the issue with Wee Mac isn't about the past, it's the fact that he wanted to come back to us.

Regardless of whether he gets game time, he's an ex international with overseas experience. I watched him play for Motherwell against Rangers once.

Let's see what he can do. We've had terrible combinations in attack for the past few years. If he can combine well and put some good balls into the box we should increase our For count this year.

Offsider

I might as well pre-empt the clear and obvious counter argument now. There were also a raft of players where this recruitment strategy failed (Cernak et al.).
But I only said that to be honest it's historically been ccm's strategy to recruit that way - buy low to improve and/or sell high
Regardless, all club have recruited dud players throughout their history

But ........ There was also a raft of players where this recruitment strategy failed ...... Blah blah blah .......... :unsure: ....... Only kidding. I understood your point and accept your valid point to the discussion ??. Having a stir sometimes brings out much better comments worth reading and adding understanding to the overall situation. No apology .......... :naughty:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred