• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Forum Phoenix

Ambitious is definitely the case.
Would have liked to seem him have a crack outside Oz though.
Yeah didn't like typing that, but we all know it's true, or has been for 5 years at least.

He's only 25. 2 good years in a better side and he may be able to head somewhere in Asia for a decent payday.

Josho Howe

I think Connor should be commended for the way he's conducted himself throughout his tenure here. It's been nothing but disappointment and he always looked like he cared and hated losing. He wasn't laughing around with the opposition after a big loss, he was head down, wondering how we were going to turn it around. I hope l get to have a chat with him after the game against City to let him know that our fans always appreciated him. He played for us and the badge. And l unfortunately can't say the same for a lot of other players. Cheers Painy.

marinermick

I think Connor should be commended for the way he's conducted himself throughout his tenure here. It's been nothing but disappointment and he always looked like he cared and hated losing. He wasn't laughing around with the opposition after a big loss, he was head down, wondering how we were going to turn it around. I hope l get to have a chat with him after the game against City to let him know that our fans always appreciated him. He played for us and the badge. And l unfortunately can't say the same for a lot of other players. Cheers Painy.

Couldn’t agree more. This has been my experience as well.

Ads

I think every player that has joined the club has at first bought in to whatever we are selling. Each year, each new coach sells an idea and team culture.
And each player has genuinely worked hard and run till almost collapsing, during games anyway.

But when things turn sour, the players have tried to put forward their opinions and ideas, some of which would be very similar to what we have suggested looking from the outside but have been shut down or dictated by management or that coach being stubborn and sticking to their plan, rather than flexing and working as a people Manager as well as a football coach.

The players become negative and work their way out of the club, those who have continued to shine in an otherwise dismal era have done so for individual reasons to secure a future or financial future.

Pain is a loss, but I put forward the main question,

Why did we not contiuesly influence and direct active conversation with a player that is Australian and fairly cheap still in Aspro?

Do we not have a professional salesman or negotiater that is watching carefully over our team?

Do we not realise keeping Aspro & Clisby may allow us more spend on an experienced player to pair with him as well as more influential right back?

Maybe I’ve been watching too Much Game of Thrones but if I invested my $3mil cap and a maybe a marquee here and there I would have little birds, but more importantly have a very clear conversation with each player almost every week, even every day doing temperature checks and asking them how they feel.

I know weel never get know or see these conversations but once again who is accountable for Aspro’s and Pains departure?

We’re they in our plans to stay and keep them here?

Some insight is better than none.
I think we deserve more detailed explanation by now.

Unfortunately like most, it has come to a point where you could organise this, or organise that, start a protest or try a hash tag but after being beaten into the ground for so long, every word feels like talking to a brick wall.

We want something that we will never get.
We want answers that we will never hear.
We want atmosphere that we will never see.
We want to be proud.
But will be forever let down.

Forum Phoenix

I don't disagree with the general thrust of what you're asking, or why, but I think unfortunately there's a bit of a misconception with how things typically work in a world of agents and lawyers.

I'm sure there is talk, but my understanding is that players and coaches use agents, lawyers and upper management to handle most talk around money/contracts/the future and like to keep these talks at arms length as much as possible so that their relationship can be unsullied (see what I did there) and mainly stay focused around and on playing football.

Which means it's definitely used to avoid awkward conversations, false promises, or uncertainty from both sides, and why players don't say when asked if they will re-sign; look I'll wait till the window, see what else comes in, and whether my agent can use any competing offers or my current contract to get my fee up, and then we'll make a decision based on what we think will be best for my long term trajectory, profile and bank balance. So instead we just get; I love it here, the fans are great, I'm just trying to focus on my football, winning games and playing for the shirt.
;)

Ancient Mariner

I think every player that has joined the club has at first bought in to whatever we are selling. Each year, each new coach sells an idea and team culture.
And each player has genuinely worked hard and run till almost collapsing, during games anyway.

But when things turn sour, the players have tried to put forward their opinions and ideas, some of which would be very similar to what we have suggested looking from the outside but have been shut down or dictated by management or that coach being stubborn and sticking to their plan, rather than flexing and working as a people Manager as well as a football coach.

The players become negative and work their way out of the club, those who have continued to shine in an otherwise dismal era have done so for individual reasons to secure a future or financial future.

Pain is a loss, but I put forward the main question,

Why did we not contiuesly influence and direct active conversation with a player that is Australian and fairly cheap still in Aspro?

Do we not have a professional salesman or negotiater that is watching carefully over our team?

Do we not realise keeping Aspro & Clisby may allow us more spend on an experienced player to pair with him as well as more influential right back?

Maybe I’ve been watching too Much Game of Thrones but if I invested my $3mil cap and a maybe a marquee here and there I would have little birds, but more importantly have a very clear conversation with each player almost every week, even every day doing temperature checks and asking them how they feel.

I know weel never get know or see these conversations but once again who is accountable for Aspro’s and Pains departure?

We’re they in our plans to stay and keep them here?

Some insight is better than none.
I think we deserve more detailed explanation by now.

Unfortunately like most, it has come to a point where you could organise this, or organise that, start a protest or try a hash tag but after being beaten into the ground for so long, every word feels like talking to a brick wall.

We want something that we will never get.
We want answers that we will never hear.
We want atmosphere that we will never see.
We want to be proud.
But will be forever let down.

Yeh, we need a director of football.

Ozhammer

My sources tell me the club approached Painy some weeks ago along the lines of “we would like you to stay and can offer you the same money but not for a while yet”.

In the meantime, his agent agrees a solid deal with WU, so when the club’s offer is formalised, it’s already too late.

Honestly, how hard could it have been to have locked Connor in several months back, given that he has pretty much been one of our best players all season?

This is one area CCM simply can not afford to get wrong, losing players who are a known quantity and love the club because no-one can seemingly make a decision. This is why Tommy H won’t be here next season unfortunately. Oh, and because he is injury-prone apparently (didn’t stop them paying Gamiero all season though did it hmmm?).

turbo

My sources tell me the club approached Painy some weeks ago along the lines of “we would like you to stay and can offer you the same money but not for a while yet”.
:doh: how can they expect anyone to leave an offer on the table when they are offering "Come on mate we'll match it I promise, just wait for that other offer to expire ok?"

Ancient Mariner

I suspect no offers were being made until they signed a new coach/manager and wanted his input first.

Hopefully Stajcic has now Benn signed and we can start making solid offers. I suspect the Clisby signing is an indication that this has happened.

Before we had a coach/manager who was there to make the decisions as to offer who what?

Shaun on his lonesome? Mike Phelan on his next holiday? Mike Mulvey who the Club knew was getting the bullet? Monty who may not be involved with the first team next year? Perhaps even Tony Rallis?

Yes I am sure Shaun like the rest of us would have wanted to hang onto Pain and Aspro, but without a plan to put together a full squad he would have had no idea of how much to offer nor for how long.

This season has shown what happens if you do not get recruitment right.

I am happy if the squad is signed to a well thought out plan without additional problems signed by someone else. We have too many already.

It is unfortunate, but I suspect these players moving were arranged while we still had Mulvey in charge (the rumours started then), and I would not blame anyone leaving if that seemed to be the case for next year.

The problem was caused by the time it took to get rid of Mulvey.

On a positive note if Mulvey had been given the arse earlier we may have ended up with one of the Aloises.

Hopefully the Club has now got a football committee/department put together in order that some wise decisions can be made to building a squad rather than signing the odd player who may be good.

The problem is that the Club did not have a football management structure in place when they appointed Mulvey. Maybe Phelan was supposed to cover that but had a better offer and then did a half arsed job here.

It had better be got right this time or all of us will suffer the consequences, Charlesworth included.

Forum Phoenix

In the meantime, his agent agrees a solid deal with WU, so when the club’s offer is formalised, it’s already too late.

Honestly, how hard could it have been to have locked Connor in several months back, given that he has pretty much been one of our best players all season?

This is one area CCM simply can not afford to get wrong, losing players who are a known quantity and love the club because no-one can seemingly make a decision. This is why Tommy H won’t be here next season unfortunately. Oh, and because he is injury-prone apparently (didn’t stop them paying Gamiero all season though did it hmmm?).
I don’t think he wanted to stay. And can’t blame him.

Wombat

Incompetence yet again.

Tevor

I might sign on as a member next year but just wait i’m good for the money later. Did you get that Pikey!

Nothing but a cluster F

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred