• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

turbo

Loyalty ? From a footballer?
He will sign with who pays the most.

I'm not expecting the bloke to turn down a significantly better offer. But if there are similar offers available maybe loyalty gets us over the line, although as I mentioned there is a hell of a lot of uncertainty and the results of recent seasons working against us. Ultimately though we shouldn't be finding ourselves in this position where our gambles on NPL or injured players don't have some extension or club option if they turn out to be good signings. We had the upper hand when picking them up from NPL or offering to pay them to recover, then they get some attention and the club is working from a weak position which doesn't make sense. I don't want them to exploit players but where's the pay off for the club?

UnitedsNo9

I'm not expecting the bloke to turn down a significantly better offer. But if there are similar offers available maybe loyalty gets us over the line, although as I mentioned there is a hell of a lot of uncertainty and the results of recent seasons working against us. Ultimately though we shouldn't be finding ourselves in this position where our gambles on NPL or injured players don't have some extension or club option if they turn out to be good signings. We had the upper hand when picking them up from NPL or offering to pay them to recover, then they get some attention and the club is working from a weak position which doesn't make sense. I don't want them to exploit players but where's the pay off for the club?

Completely agree. This business model makes no sense. Take a gamble on Injured players who MAY get some game time at some point if they rehab in time (e.g aspro) and then they are free agents several weeks/months after recovery. Similarly gambling on players who likely will not feature at all (Corey G). Nonsensical.

Antlion

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/western-united-swoop-for-off-contract-mariner-aspropotamitis
A-League newcomers Western United are aiming to make Central Coast Mariners centre-back Jonathan Aspropotamitis their latest acquisition ahead of their entry into the competition.

With Western Sydney Wanderers right-back Josh Risdon already locked into a lucrative multi-year deal, along with Greek marquee Panagiotis Kone, the new entity are close to snaring the 22-year-old known simply as ‘Aspro’.

The stopper is off contract with the Mariners - whom he signed for in May whilst in the midst of recovering from a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

He sustained the injury playing for former club Western Sydney in the National Youth League grand final a year ago, only returning to action in December.

Regarded as one of the A-League’s most promising stoppers, he’s racked up eight appearances for the A-League’s bottom club since his return from injury.

It’s understood the Mariners want to keep him and have flagged an offer.

However, amid ongoing uncertainty over how committed owner Mike Charlesworth may be to investing heavily in strengthening the squad, Aspropotamitis appears likely to head south to join the fledgling franchise.

He made his Wanderland breakthrough under Tony Popovic, ultimately making 53 appearances in all competitions for the Red and Black, prior to heading to Gosford.

Forum Phoenix

This will be our problem for the next few years (if we survive) as we churn through players. We will continue to overpay just to have a roster because no one wants to play here.

The Aspro situation is another where a trigger clause might have been prudent. Play a certain number of games and your contract goes to two years.

Charlesworth's first priority, if he cares, is to get the football department in order. Having a director who is on the other side of the world, with little interest in the club, is just plain wrong.

Great post Mick.

I suspect BG is very likely right about MC's fame fetish. Which I don't give a shit about as long as he gets good people in to 'properly' do the job. Ludicrous to think Phelan could continue doing the job in any meaningful capacity after he left. If he (Phelan) was truly committed he was an incredible appointment, but if like Redknapp we were just paying bloated consultancy fees for minimum time/effort with little to no grass roots grind and hustle, we're literally the very last team in the league that can afford that kind of approach.

It's a shitty corporate approach. And just leads to more work being passed down the line and or falling through the cracks. Which certainly fits the output and signals that we've been seeing from the club.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Completely agree. This business model makes no sense. Take a gamble on Injured players who MAY get some game time at some point if they rehab in time (e.g aspro) and then they are free agents several weeks/months after recovery. Similarly gambling on players who likely will not feature at all (Corey G). Nonsensical.

Yep. madness. Sets you up for failure. Could be worse than incompetence, and our leverage is so low we can't even get these type of clauses agreed on at present.

Last edited:

midfielder

^^^^^^
A copy of what it reads

Painful exit

Central Coast Mariners defender Jonathan Aspropotamitis appears to be on his way to Western United according to SBS reports this week and it appears one of his teammates may be joining him at the A-League newcomers.

Sources close to the club suggest the Mariners fear Connor Pain is another target of the A-League expansion side, which is frantically building a squad from scratch in time for the start of the new season in October.

Forum Phoenix

F..U..C...K

According to Fairfax ... Pain is going with Aspropotamitis to West Mel...

Sometimes a song can express my views better ... from a while back..

Whats going On ....

Oh man. Sucks ass but sadly doesn’t at all surprise. For a new incoming team, our best players are the lowest hanging fruit to pick.

Pain has been a great club man. Wish he’d stay. But have to wish him luck and can’t blame him for wanting to move on.

Hey Mike, why isn’t anyone snapping up Kennedy and Hoole?

Coastalraider

This is exactly what I was talking about in the ‘have we hit rock bottom’ thread.

The next step in the spiral is trying to recruit for next year.

shipwreck

f**kkkkkk it's getting ugly.
I don't envy Shaun right now, has to be the toughest gig in the Aleague.

For years we punched above our weight but now we are finally in the spot that everyone thought we deserved to be in since 2004, I hope you're happy Australia.

The biggest tell for me was the swap in sentiment from the commentators, somehow when they started feeling sorry for us and making excuses... It became worse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred