• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Michael

I’ve said many times how fond I was of Brama. He may not have been completely into it at times, but imo we were lucky to get a player of his experience and technical quality.

Wouldn’t say O’Neil is a better player just yet as they are completley different types of CM’s. In saying that, O’Neil will be huge for us this year.

scottmac

Suspended
Brama was a missed opportunity. Did not suit the football style of Okon and that's more the professionalism than anything. In a more professional set up he would have killed it. Much more talented than 90% of the cm's to have played in this league.

scottmac

Suspended
. a bit weird and / or a short term 'fix'

. that was the old Charlesworth way of thinking :doh: :unsure:
It's not even a short term fix. The sub soil needs to be removed then a firm compact drainage material put in and even that might not solve it. Quick fix seems more to me like a waste of money

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Brama was a missed opportunity. Did not suit the football style of Okon and that's more the professionalism than anything. In a more professional set up he would have killed it. Much more talented than 90% of the cm's to have played in this league.
True, made some savage tackles though, bit of a loose cannon. Anybody capable of some of his challenges can be a bit of a liability on the field.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
The rellies in Holland raved about Brama and we’re iffy about Tom....so I guess it comes down to some players just not fitting in at certain places...Mulvey obviously couldn’t see Wout in his plans so...GAWNSKI

scottmac

Suspended
The problem is the location
It could be fixed though. I used to visit that site every week in the early 90's when it was a driving range. It needs a proper prep just like what would have been done under the carpark and soccer five

UnitedsNo9

The rellies in Holland raved about Brama and we’re iffy about Tom....so I guess it comes down to some players just not fitting in at certain places...Mulvey obviously couldn’t see Wout in his plans so...GAWNSKI
Same here. My family in Groningen (where Tom played) said Brama is awesome and they wish they had him, also that we should make him captain as he is a great leader. They also said Tom usually starts the season well and fades away mud campaign and loses his spot in the 11. They were quite surprised as to how they both ended up for us.

Forum Phoenix

Wout worked hard in a lot games but was stretched too thin and frustrated by the poor decision making of lack lustre or younger players as well as Okon ball.

Thoroughly agree with SM, quality player who never found his stride with us.

Last edited:

Wombat

O'Neill looks to be a better player.

Scottmac...you haven't even seen him play ffs??

I love your bromance with the weaker Dutchy but im a pretty good judge of a player.

O'Neill is quality from what i saw in 1 match (but 1 game is nothing) Brama was quality but limited skillset. O'Neill has the same level of touch and skill but with a whole lot more attacking capabilities.

I will let you judge after 4 or 5 games but i was very impressed.......much more than when i saw Brama.

Wombat

Same here. My family in Groningen (where Tom played) said Brama is awesome and they wish they had him, also that we should make him captain as he is a great leader. They also said Tom usually starts the season well and fades away mud campaign and loses his spot in the 11. They were quite surprised as to how they both ended up for us.

Neither were leaders!
Tommy is a far more skilled techinical player.
Brama a tough, simple, ball winning DM with a 10 yard passing range.
One was considered our best player in a shit team (Tom).
The other was thought of as an underachiever and a "loose cannon".

bikinigirl

It's not even a short term fix. The sub soil needs to be removed then a firm compact drainage material put in and even that might not solve it. Quick fix seems more to me like a waste of money

. yep ... the old-style Charlesworth false economy

bikinigirl

Wout worked hard in a lot games but was stretched too thin and frustrated by the poor decision making of lack lustre or younger players as well as Okon ball.

. i think Brama got through more of the Monty-type work than people realise
. but he didn't have the Monty-type leadership some expected
. probably because he was used to having more talent around him

. apparently he was surprised 'we' signed him and Tom
. yes they were different but similar enough considering how desperately we needed talent elsewhere on the park

. i have also heard that he was an instigator for the club's 'discussions' with Okon
. tactical frustrations were added to everything else including biased refereeing

. so i don't think he was here for a footballing holiday but i don't think he was able to carry the burden expected off him ... and this is what has led to peoples' disappointment
. was that due to his own lack of professionalism? i'd suggest it was more to do with the professionalism of those around him (players, coaches and officials)
. was he a loose cannon? i think his frustrations eventually got the better of him ... admittedly that is merely an excuse, but i think things could have been very different if, for example, he had have joined us this year

Antlion

. i think Brama got through more of the Monty-type work than people realise
. but he didn't have the Monty-type leadership some expected
. probably because he was used to having more talent around him

. apparently he was surprised 'we' signed him and Tom
. yes they were different but similar enough considering how desperately we needed talent elsewhere on the park

. i have also heard that he was an instigator for the club's 'discussions' with Okon
. tactical frustrations were added to everything else including biased refereeing

. so i don't think he was here for a footballing holiday but i don't think he was able to carry the burden expected off him ... and this is what has led to peoples' disappointment
. was that due to his own lack of professionalism? i'd suggest it was more to do with the professionalism of those around him (players, coaches and officials)
. was he a loose cannon? i think his frustrations eventually got the better of him ... admittedly that is merely an excuse, but i think things could have been very different if, for example, he had have joined us this year
I was going to write something very similar - well said BG.

Essentially we had a quality player surrounded by turkeys and a frustratingly amateur game plan. In the end he busted his ar.se to achieve nothing and barely provide a sandbag against the floodwaters. He was as frustrated as could be in a juvenile setting under a pathetic coach.
In this context I think it is very hard to judge his ability.

In this current squad and manager we would have seen what he could do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred