• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Big Al

Also Bingers and Trent came through the academy and jumped straight into the first team.

I see this as a large jump. I think this also plays a part as they get physically and mentally tired. It's a big jump but also they play bigger stronger and smarter more technical opponents who may take a game to work them out but come the second game they cut off what was successful for the young player. More often than not the younger players don't have option two in there trick bag.

Also the reverse of the jump up is the jump down. What about when Trent was out of sorts last year. There is no where to send him to work on his problems against good opponents. If you drop him back to the academy thats a big drop in standard. There is no alignment time wise with NPL season and even if there was we are in NPL 2 so while better than academy its still not ideal.

Bingham played as the lead striker in the academy last year during the season and was killing it but really needed that next level to play against men and then learn things. Should we have loaned him out last year to an NPL side? I don't think it's legal anyway but imagine if he had half a a season he'd learn alot. Even if Monty said you are coming to Wollongong with me and you play there on the weekend while we train in the offseason. Even one night a week training to go with it. He didn't play much so needs match time as much as the learning experience.
In Rugby league they have the opportunity to drop someone to the nsw cup. We don't have that.

All 3 could have benefited or benefit during the year.

Training against this years squad will absolutely help but nothing beats playing and playing different types of players as well

bikinigirl

Budgie had a lack of desire at the end of the season. The fact that Appiah was preferred effected him, showed how far he has to go and also credit to Appiah for taking his spot. When he came on as a sub he was horrible and made no impact.
The pressure of having to make a change, losing his position, fading physically and lack of supply all contributed IMO

He needs more ball control and defensively he just appeared scared of the bigger bodies. He seems a nice lad but lacks some white line fever.

Speed is not enough at the top.

. i agree ... and he does seem like a nice kid, maybe too nice. he is very quiet (shy) so not your typical young, cocky pro footballer

. but that is also why i think he needs to be nurtured, play to his strengths, build his confidence and grow from that. i also agree that Appiah deserved to take his spot ... he did have that hunger because he knew what was at stake - and credit to him. but it's not as if Appiah has sublime ball control either

Rowdy

(shy) so not your typical young, cocky pro footballer

Actually, maybe not ......

Have it on very good authority that the young Budgie took the praise from within the media (Slater was pumping him just about every game during commentary - back when he was in form), lets say a little to seriously.
A bit of :wub: 'self-appreciation', with a few of his Mariner team mates noticing it quick smart. ;)

bikinigirl

Actually, maybe not ......

Have it on very good authority that the young Budgie took the praise from within the media (Slater was pumping him just about every game during commentary - back when he was in form), lets say a little to seriously.
A bit of :wub: 'self-appreciation', with a few of his Mariner team mates noticing it quick smart. ;)

. fair enough ... the chat that i had with him (or tried to have with him) would have been well after that time - so perhaps his attitude had be re-aligned :oops:

. or maybe i intimidated him :piralaugh:

Football nut

. there is a lot of talk about the FFA cup in this thread ... but i would like to just bring it back to the squad for a bit

. there are three players in particular whose positions intrigue me at the moment ... and i wonder what Okon's plans are for them in the up-coming season

. Budgie, Bingers and Rosebud ... the last season appears to have caused a negative effect on their standing in the view of many fans. if you will indulge me with - what is likely to be several consecutive posts - i'd like to address them each in separate posts. please forgive me if my recollection of events is not all that accurate ... but if it is dissimilar to yours i'd be interested to know your view
Where does Berry stand, still has another 3 years on contract??

bikinigirl

Where does Berry stand, still has another 3 years on contract??

. with Rosebud moving to the back line last season Dingle essentially took his place in the midfield pecking order ... so I assumed he would continue in the role as back-up to the Dutch Dudes

. what worries me more is that McGing has been getting more game time than both ... if we were going to overlook Rosebud and Dingle in that role I'd prefer Harry - I think o_O

bikinigirl

Bingham played as the lead striker in the academy last year during the season and was killing it but really needed that next level to play against men and then learn things. Should we have loaned him out last year to an NPL side?

. i still reckon he should have been getting 20-30 minute runs off the bench as striker ... instead we had someone playing 90 mins every week (and not really deserving it)

Big Al

. with Rosebud moving to the back line last season Dingle essentially took his place in the midfield pecking order ... so I assumed he would continue in the role as back-up to the Dutch Dudes

. what worries me more is that McGing has been getting more game time than both ... if we were going to overlook Rosebud and Dingle in that role I'd prefer Harry - I think o_O
Agree Paulo sees McGoo as DM backup (his true position but still sucks) where he took over at the end of the season.
Berry will be Tommy H backup
Rosebud CB or 3rd choice DM

VicMariner

Re: Big Al saying Bingham should have been loaned out to an NPL club:

100% agree, good thinking.
He is not cutting it at HAL level but was doing fine at youth level. He needs a transition period to make the next step.
I don't rate him at HAL level but I wish he was given every opportunity to do so.
He, and the fans (us) deserve nothing less.

Every youth that dons the Mariners jersey deserves the best future from us. Full stop.
How else can we expect them to choose us us?

1year of Ryan is better than 5 years of Mane.

Paolo has made it clear, we need better quality and more experienced players. The young talent will not be given positions like they were previously, which is good and bad for them.

That said Rose can earn the CB spot

Budgie can get pains spot

And Bingers can earn the last 20mins of each game and maybe more if Asdrubal fails.

Bingers doesn't deserve game time he is shocking not even npl class same as berry and mcging we need them out asap

pjennings

I've seen enough in Bingers to cut him a bit of slack. He desperately needs game time though or his time at the Mariners will pass.

Fishsdad

lol....didn't YOU recruit them in the first place :p

I'm guessing that the person using the nom de plume "Tony Walmsley" has either a strong ironic bent, or is a s..t stirrer. More likely the latter.

Whatever else Walmsley can be accused of, he was a thorough gentleman and would never publicly express such thoughts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred