• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I don't think I've ever seen the forum this despondent.
I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Though i don't think we will see Okon next season Nfi who we can get in tight. Issues are far deeper than the coach ..

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Why does it feel like Okon is already gone?
Yup. His manner has been subdued for weeks. Asking about his fiturr at the club has always resulted in an uncomfortable brush off and with his contract end, if he was going to stay i dont see why they would be hiding that. I think him bring let go is being seriously considered, if not all but decided

Gratis

Maybe all contract extensions are on hold whilst ownership discussions are had? If any of those rumours are actually true of course

pjennings

Okon's position is complicated.

He lives in Sydney, by all half-joking accounts owning half of Fairfield, with kids in school. Working in Sydney would make life easier for him in that regard. On the flip side he has not achieved anything - though we can all see improvements on previous years - the results actually do not support that position.

If Okon's can get a rock solid commitment about being able to spend the cap and a commitment to a 'mid-level marquee' then his best option is to finish what he started, complete his squad the way he wants it and hopefully achieve something. Going to SFC after Arnie will be a poisoned chalice for whoever takes it to the extent that I hope Sydney go OS for their next manager.

midfielder

My reading of the Tea Leafs is our crowds like the rest of the league are down... the Drive by match should have been around 14K ... similar SFC ...

With crowds down so is revenue .... and MC has stated he has a limit on what he will put in each year...

Thus our position is in some ways a reflection of the league as a whole ... and with the degree of infighting between the various factions over control of future revenue streams .... then this year we are a victim for want of a better word in a bitter civil war between FFA and the Clubs and other stakeholders...

Yes I can scream loudly a winning team would get a bigger crowd .... but MC to me seems to have a limit on what he is willing or maybe able to put in... and say 20 K short in crowds to date at say $20.00 per person is $ 400, 000.

I still have faith in Okon but he needs at least three more quality players in the side ...

pjennings

My reading of the Tea Leafs is our crowds like the rest of the league are down... the Drive by match should have been around 14K ... similar SFC ...

With crowds down so is revenue .... and MC has stated he has a limit on what he will put in each year...

Thus our position is in some ways a reflection of the league as a whole ... and with the degree of infighting between the various factions over control of future revenue streams .... then this year we are a victim for want of a better word in a bitter civil war between FFA and the Clubs and other stakeholders...

Yes I can scream loudly a winning team would get a bigger crowd .... but MC to me seems to have a limit on what he is willing or maybe able to put in... and say 20 K short in crowds to date at say $20.00 per person is $ 400, 000.

I still have faith in Okon but he needs at least three more quality players in the side ...

A winning team will only get a bigger crowd if individual game day prices are such that you can attract both local casuals and NSW based teams fans watching their team. These prices now are simply too high but are reflective of the fact that we have to hire the stadium and get no income from game day food and beverage sales. We need management rights of the stadium to control our destiny - until then we are fighting an uphill battle.

Insertnamehere

A winning team will only get a bigger crowd if individual game day prices are such that you can attract both local casuals and NSW based teams fans watching their team. These prices now are simply too high but are reflective of the fact that we have to hire the stadium and get no income from game day food and beverage sales. We need management rights of the stadium to control our destiny - until then we are fighting an uphill battle.
$37 for a GA ticket on the eastern side. Fkn ridiculous. IMO overs by $7-12.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It's absurd. I think the entire league should aim to keep Ga around $20. Almost $40 is just way too much. Can gey an entire family to the BBL for tgat

shipwreck

Why does Okon get the luxury of needing better players to be a good coach and Walmsley didn't?

Why is Okon exempt from being blamed for finishing second last twice consecutively when he got to spend a decent amount picking four very decent European players, by his own admission, even when Asdrubal was a dud?

Forum Phoenix

Because under Okon we have the highest pass count in the league. The highest pass accuracy. We are number 5 for clean sheets, and 6 for goals conceded, we've played some great football at times and he's also recruited far far better than Moss or Walmsley. Under whom we saw ZERO positives.

The other key stats also support why we need players... we are stone motherless last in the league for goals, and the same for shots.

We just lost two attackers, who were already not up to par, and do not have funds to secure replacements. And we've been encumbered by multiple attackers who were from past regimes. We've also watched us repeatedly fall apart whenever our depth was tested.

I'm not saying Okon isn't making some mistakes, and he got Adsrubal wrong, but on paper I can see why the hope was there, and it's also very clear this isn't largely on him and that he has a clue. Whereas Moss and TW didn't.

Last edited:

pjennings

Why does Okon get the luxury of needing better players to be a good coach and Walmsley didn't?

Why is Okon exempt from being blamed for finishing second last twice consecutively when he got to spend a decent amount picking four very decent European players, by his own admission, even when Asdrubal was a dud?

Not commenting on the second last twice - that is a legitimate question. However, Okon has not been able to spend a decent amount - only the cap floor. He has bought better than Francesco Stella, Richard Vernes and Isaka Cernak (reportedly for circa $200,000).

We are no longer conceding 70 goals in a season - but equally we are not scoring at the other end. In the interim the rest of the league has improved. We are a better football team than in the Walmsley era - the results aren't showing it - but Okon has not had any advantage in money to spend - in fact the rules for spending outside the cap have been relaxed.

shipwreck

Not commenting on the second last twice - that is a legitimate question. However, Okon has not been able to spend a decent amount - only the cap floor. He has bought better than Francesco Stella, Richard Vernes and Isaka Cernak (reportedly for circa $200,000).

We are no longer conceding 70 goals in a season - but equally we are not scoring at the other end. In the interim the rest of the league has improved. We are a better football team than in the Walmsley era - the results aren't showing it - but Okon has not had any advantage in money to spend - in fact the rules for spending outside the cap have been relaxed.
Good point, we're definitely a "better team", for instance I'm sure this year's Mariners would beat last year's.

But it's like Okon looked at the benchmark of last year and used that as his point to improve on, meanwhile everyone else got significantly better anticipating the next level of competition.

I'm being harsh, I know, but I am getting impatient :)

Scotty

Daniel Garb from Fox Sports reported on their latest podcast that he was told post match by a Mariners player that they would be in the top six if they had kept the Snake.

I tend to agree, we are simply missing a goal poacher. Okon expected Adsrubal to fill that role, but he didn't deliver.

I also think we aren't pushing the ball around like we were earlier in the season, simply because we've lost confidence in going forward.

If Trent or Skapetis bang in a few goals it may lift the squad. For that to happen we need the Dutch duo playing together too.

Insertnamehere

Daniel Garb from Fox Sports reported on their latest podcast that he was told post match by a Mariners player that they would be in the top six if they had kept the Snake.

I tend to agree, we are simply missing a goal poacher. Okon expected Adsrubal to fill that role, but he didn't deliver.

I also think we aren't pushing the ball around like we were earlier in the season, simply because we've lost confidence in going forward.

If Trent or Skapetis bang in a few goals it may lift the squad. For that to happen we need the Dutch duo playing together too.
I reckon skapetis, given a good run, will top the snake. But he needs service and that's what would have stopped us being top 6 even with the snake

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred